Sign in to follow this  
Sath

bomb runs too easy

F4AF is nice, and it takes balance between entertainment and realism, but if people is seeking more realistic F-16 Sim, Open Falcon is the Way to Go:icon_w00t:

I will have to check out Open Falcon, I still have the ring binder edition of F4 around somewhere.

I've been doing some browsing while at work at the moment and found some excellent AARs someone is currently doing at Simhq with AF. Great reads for people wanting to know what the F4 series is like.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2732502/F4AF_Operation_Rolling_Fire_20.html#Post2732502

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2736153/F4AF_Operation_Rolling_Fire_20.html#Post2736153

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2740871/F4AF_Operation_Rolling_Fire_20.html

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2743163/F4AF_Operation_Rolling_Fire_20.html#Post2743163

On another note: I thought BIS said (or 505 twitter?) that helicopters with gunner seat will have the pilot shoot the rockets.

And on this matter: Yes Frederf i think its the lock - dumb bomb - seeker model.

Alex

My understanding is that the typical FFAR run has the pilot launch the rockets. It's the most logical since the aim is determined by the airframe. I would like FFARs to have ripple settings so you control exactly how many you fire at a time. This would help prevent the AI from just shooting all until the muzzle breaks alignment with the target. I believe the typical settings are: single pair, 25% shot, 50% shot, 100% shot. Didn't BIS say they were increasing the FFAR inaccuracy to be more like real life or was that a modder?

Humm, what exactly didnt you understand?:confused:

The part where bomb blast size depended on what altitude the bomb was dropped from.

I will have to check out Open Falcon

Last time I played OF4.6 was the version of Falcon to run. F4:AF might have some specific engine capabilities (mostly regarding campaign control) but the F4-based OF is miles above it in any other respect.

I'm sure the "press the fire button" part wouldn't take alot of effort, but i bet there is a hole load of work to go through just to get the target lined up. Probably a million buttons to press a million requests to make and alot of skill!

From my LOMAC and other virtual experience, I would say dropping Iron bombs is still not that easy.

You do still have to line up perfectly with the target (or where the target will be by the time the bombs reach the ground), and the computer will tell you when to release, but it still requires precise flying which is not at all easy.

Lol, i know arma 2 is a very realistic war simulator, but unless you have real life bombing experience, thats a little bit of a bold comment to make.

Go and try and fly an A-10, i bet yoo, (and me for that matter), could not even turn the thing on.

Flying in arma 2 may be easy, For everything else there is a 4000 page manual and 9 years of traing :P

Richie lol you are correct, however in this age of lasers and fly-by-wire, bombs and missiles are not hard, even ground troops who have things like TOWs and Javelins understand this, the hard part is picking out your target, technology does the rest. Naturally flying is more difficult than walking or driving but the rest of the training is about starting up and shutting down your computers and not screwing anything up (of course there's more depth than that but I don't fancy writing a novel). Even ground vehicles now have ridiculous startup procedures.

I know we dont have a ccip on the hud but the current system is too arcadic, imho. You just have to target a tank f.e. and then wait til u get the circle around the target box, which is pretty easy to achieve, zoom in, fly slow (250-300) at 200 meters or so, then release the weapon. It's dead accurate, even though your target has left the area after release. It feels like being laser-guided though it's not. Try it, place a few tanks on the map, give them waypoints so they are moving, then fly a AV-8 equipped with iron free-fall-bombs and have fun. Six bombs six kills. You can even toss bombs from over 1 k away, if you manage to get the circle around your target box for a brief moment and hit the trigger right then. Hm, must be secret JDAM (Joint Direct Attack Munitions)technology in this game, what do you think?

sounds like a jdam to me.

If you target a tank with bombs it does not just tell you when to drop, the bomb will actually be guided, hell you can drop without the lock diamond and still hit most of the time on approach.

The part where bomb blast size depended on what altitude the bomb was dropped from.

I didnt mean the blast size but actual point of impact. This area of impact should also be influenced by aircraft bank. Would be perfectly enough.;)