Sign in to follow this  
Sath

bomb runs too easy

I know we dont have a ccip on the hud but the current system is too arcadic, imho. You just have to target a tank f.e. and then wait til u get the circle around the target box, which is pretty easy to achieve, zoom in, fly slow (250-300) at 200 meters or so, then release the weapon. It's dead accurate, even though your target has left the area after release. It feels like being laser-guided though it's not. Try it, place a few tanks on the map, give them waypoints so they are moving, then fly a AV-8 equipped with iron free-fall-bombs and have fun. Six bombs six kills. You can even toss bombs from over 1 k away, if you manage to get the circle around your target box for a brief moment and hit the trigger right then. Hm, must be secret JDAM (Joint Direct Attack Munitions)technology in this game, what do you think?

So you are saying the circle indicates when the parameters are good for a drop? Never noticed that.

SQUARE=AQUIRED

SQUARE+CIRCLE=LOCK

Yes its too easy as it is now. It will be better with mods maybe.

Alex

wouldn't that be the same as CCIP? you just target it, align it and the computer will calculate when the bomb should release. right? Its been a long time since I played Falcon 4, but I think it's something like that...

yep thats it, but you need to guide yourself straight onto the target and then pickle. In ARMA i think its ok to be a bit sideways and still get a lock. Not 100% sure though.

does it matter? dropping bombs in modern warfare is not the difficult thing it used to be.

so if Lock and fire is too easy, then what should be instead of it?

200-300 is pretty slow, AA missiles can easily catch you. Going at 400-500 though makes them harder to hit you. At least that's how it was in arma.

does it matter? dropping bombs in modern warfare is not the difficult thing it used to be.

Lol, i know arma 2 is a very realistic war simulator, but unless you have real life bombing experience, thats a little bit of a bold comment to make.

Go and try and fly an A-10, i bet yoo, (and me for that matter), could not even turn the thing on.

Flying in arma 2 may be easy, For everything else there is a 4000 page manual and 9 years of traing :P

I play Lock On and fly the a10, sometimes I fly for 30 minutes and just get shot down out of the blue.

When I do find ground targets... there's always a sam or a shilka waiting for me.

The only way to get around this is by shooting down the aerial threats miles away with guided missiles, and hope that the tanks don't fire was you approach.

Its often hard to leave without a scratch, most of the time there's always a missile on my ass that I'm trying to avoid while I try to shoot down targets.

ArmA 2's a10 is very silly, a 10 year old can kill you online easily.

Are bombing runs a lot harder in reality?

I'm no expert, but I can imagine that, with today's technology, bombing something doesn't require alot of human input.

I'm no expert, but I can imagine that, with today's technology, bombing something doesn't require alot of human input.

I'm sure the "press the fire button" part wouldn't take alot of effort, but i bet there is a hole load of work to go through just to get the target lined up. Probably a million buttons to press a million requests to make and alot of skill!

The actual event of a bombing run is usually in and out and your done. Prior to any aircraft flying in to take out a line of tanks, intel is gathered on all AA in the area. Precision missle strikes are launched and once the kills are confirmed, a-10s fly in and do what they do. In fact most A-10 strikes are a series of runs in which the pilots unload all of their payload, this means rockets then another pass where they strafe with machine gun fire.

the main threat is usually a shoulder fired rocket. so I would say for someone like you who has played a lot of flight sims like it sounds you have, then this is pretty accurate to real world, because no A-10 would go in without the way being clear first.

Falcon 4 Allied Force is great for seeing the full mission package, typically has a flight for top cover, a SEAD flight, the actual target bombing flight. This is then followed up with a post strike damage assesment flight.

I'm sure the "press the fire button" part wouldn't take alot of effort, but i bet there is a hole load of work to go through just to get the target lined up. Probably a million buttons to press a million requests to make and alot of skill!

Most of time all you need is to move your thumb on the HOTAS. :D

Falcon 4 Allied Force is great for seeing the full mission package, typically has a flight for top cover, a SEAD flight, the actual target bombing flight. This is then followed up with a post strike damage assesment flight.

F4AF is nice, and it takes balance between entertainment and realism, but if people is seeking more realistic F-16 Sim, Open Falcon is the Way to Go:icon_w00t:

Edited by CuteQA

In reality, CCIP has a reticle that you still need to line up with your target, and of course still has range error and stuff happening. This sounds like it's a bit more automatic.

Maybe a little off topic, but I heard a while back that the A-10 was being phased out of the US military? Confirmed this not to be true on Wiki, but anyone else heard these rumours before?

Add Tunguska/Shilka to the equation.

I can second that. I was playing with the editor lastnight and placed a couple of Shilkas and a several A10's and set SAD waypoints and let it go.

It looked like I had installed a new meteor shower module in arma 2 as there were flaming planes hitting the ground all over the place. :icon_lol:

Read a little about coalition pilots in Afghanistan, there's an incredible amount of skill and luck involved in getting bombs directly on target. And that's in an open desert with relatively unsophisticated anti-aircraft threats.

Often the best results come from using increased bomb yields or using airburst fuses.

I found it interesting to read about after hearing tales of pinpoint accuracy and letterbox precision over the years.

And you seriously shouldn't have to add Tunguskas to make it a challenge. Those sort of threats should require ground interdiction or SEAD tactics to defeat them. ZU-23s, Strelas and even Dushkas should be enough of a hindrance.

Just in terms of Harriers in Afghanistan, pilots have to have high situational awareness, maintain contact with the JTAC, keep an eye open for threats and still hit the right target by either computer targetting assistance or by self or buddy locking using a laser pod through a little screen. Quite abstract when you think about it, especially compared to say the old days of Stuka dive bombing.

Edited by Daniel

This game is not DCS nor LOMAC. Bombing runs are good the way they are BUT they could use some randomness, like an area of effect.

For example, if you would drop a bomb from 500 meters the area of effect would be X but if dropped it from 250 meters the area would be X/2. This would make for "less one bomb one kill" gameplay.

Maybe a little off topic, but I heard a while back that the A-10 was being phased out of the US military? Confirmed this not to be true on Wiki, but anyone else heard these rumours before?

A-10 is currently under upgrade to A-10C, and it will stay with USAF until 2028 if i remember the news correctly :)

That really doesn't make any sense to me HKFlash.

The F-35 is due to replace both the F-16 and the A-10.

I remember an ArmA1 addon made dumb iron bombs actually seek like complex missiles to "simulate CCIP." Maybe BIS did something that childish? I would hope not.

The "circle for launch parameters" works exactly like FFARs in an AH-1. You designate and then when the target direction and the weapon direction align the lock diamond (circle for ArmA2) fade in. Be aware that the circle fade in involves no complex CCIP calculations, just a very basic weapon direction, but it might work for normal speeds while level.

I know that Mk-82 bombing tends to be a lot harder in OpenFalcon simply because you're not going 200kmph 200m off the deck. You're going 450 knots at 10,000 ft or more. Doing a lot of the hijinx in ArmA in a real jet or better simulator would have you blow your own arse off.

On another note: I thaught BIS said (or 505 twitter?) that helicopters with gunner seat will have the pilot shoot the rockets. I noted in 1.01 it was not so. I tested the cobra and i couldnt fire rockets without taking all weps from the gunner (manual fire).

And on this matter: Yes Frederf i think its the lock - dumb bomb - seeker model.

Alex

That really doesn't make any sense to me HKFlash.

Humm, what exactly didnt you understand?:confused: