Sign in to follow this  
giantsfan24

Bitter Chill-help!!

When you get back to Manhattan, an ingame cutscene with dying Simmons should kick in. After that the NAPA fighters arrive and you're able to talk to them. During that speech, you're given 2 options; either call Starforce 2-1 or go with NAPA.

If the scenario didn't play like this, it's again something we haven't been able to reproduce a will investigate it further.

I can only advice to try to "Revert" this mission in the campaign menu, something might be wrong with your savegames.

yes this exactly what happened to me.

Bitter Chill scenario worked perfectly. Great mission!

compliments !

The problem I had with the start of the Bitter Chill mission was the "cry wolf" effect caused by my assuming what looked like a bug, actually wasn't.

When the mission starts at Manhattan base, it's been under attack and your mission is to get away. The first thing I saw was a line of dangerous looking soldiers that have spawned nearby. My first reaction was to kill them, but I got shot after I'd capped a couple.

Then, I spent the next hour jumping into a truck and heading for the rally point, via a whole series of long, fruitless routes that always ended up with the truck being hit or me getting insta-killed if I got out of it. Often I'd get soldiers spawning near me when I exited the truck, and not shooting at me for ages, which further made me believe the guys at Manhattan were enemies that hadn't been 'triggered'.

Eventually I realised that this 'auto kill' was always going to happen, and it only then occurred to me that the guys in the camp might be friendlies. So I restarted the mission and approached them, and then the scenario played out as it should.

It made me feel a bit dumb for wasting all that time, but also highlighted the problem I often get with the game, which is knowing when something's meant to be happening, or if it's just the scripting gone wrong again.

In the original game, I seem to remember it as relying far less on these sort of specific triggers within missions to get it to work. This meant that the player could exploit the sprawling landscape and make endless choices for themselves about how to complete a mission. I may be recalling it through rose tinted specs... But I think in those days the missions were simpler, meaning that the OFP scripts had less chance of failing, and it also meant that I got the feeling of satisfaction and therapeutic sense of accomplishment from completing each mission, which has been lacking from this game so far.

Just a sidenote; even if you shoot all the NAPA guys you're still able to call in Starforce 2-1.

Thanks for the tip Jezuro.

I must admit I'm guilty of not being the 'sharpest' mind when it comes to the OFP series. So I can easily miss an option by just seeing what the next waypoint is, and blundering off towards it with my team...

So hang on when the NAPA guys say to go to the priest in gorka and the 2 guys in nova you arent meant to drive yourself there? Do you follow the NAPA gys to a car as they never said that in the dialogue. In fact as i didnt help the priest in the earlier misison they said they cant be of more help......!!!!

What do i do as i said above i got to the two villages but there are no people only russians!

So hang on when the NAPA guys say to go to the priest in gorka and the 2 guys in nova you arent meant to drive yourself there? Do you follow the NAPA gys to a car as they never said that in the dialogue. In fact as i didnt help the priest in the earlier misison they said they cant be of more help......!!!!

What do i do as i said above i got to the two villages but there are no people only russians!

You have to follow the NAPA guys, who run off down the hill, through the woods to where a civilian is waiting in a red hatchback car. Your team get in and you have to go to the back of the car, which will then allow you to enter it and hide in the trunk/boot.

The second attempt at this mission I just ignored everything.

Mission kicks off, I jump into the jeep, oder the others to get it, sit down, shut up, and then I drive at flank speed through the *forest*, avoiding the trees, arrive at the house, get the docs before anyone else does, get radioed, and go *right back* that instant, also at flank speed right through the forest, only to get blasted to smithereens by some soldiers at the entryway to the base.

So I try again, do the exact same thing, and this time I will attempt drive up that hill not using the roads again, and as far away from these soldiers at possible. That worked for me once, and I *had* seen the cutscene once before (that was the attempt whereafter I did everything humanly possible to reach the 9km target, because I didn't know I was supposed to twiddle my thumps at the base, waiting).

Wish me luck I can just repeat this ... just once more, and *then* I'll wait for ... whatever happens next, while I'm on-base.

I real did enjoy this mission at the beginning; ripping over to get the documents, planting the explosives and then burning on home.

Seeing the base entrance guarded i zipped by (knocking a guard over :) ) and as the bullets started to fly I zigged over to the back of the hill and made my way up through the trees. Get to see the nice cut scene...very nice...have a chat with locals....all of which makes for a nice mission so far.

so I order everyone back in the the HUMMV but notice there's a "refuel at black barrel" option in the action menu! so i find the to black barrels (near the entrance at the top of the hill) and fill the HUMMV. now i'm thinking that 9 K in 25 mins with a full tank it's looking impossible.

So I have lots more fun burning around the country with the .50 Cal blazing away. Time is ticking by but so are the Kilometers.

But thats when the fun stops with about 2 K to go and 15 mins to do it in I get the instant kill trigger....come on BI....dont undo all the hard work!!! you created such a nice mission and then rune it with a cheep trick, to keep the player from getting to where you've told them to go. script a flat tire or some dialog that lets the player know getting to the extraction point is not doable...oh yeah and you might want to take out the fuel barrels.

yeh the devs dropped the ball with the instant kill thing you cant have a objective to get to a position and then not allow you to do it. If it was scripted correctly the waypoint would change to where the NAPA contacts are. At present the 'objective' is actually a route to failure and unfortunately players are not psychic. Once again what a shame this game wasnt tested properly simple things like this would ahve been found and then fixed early on. if ARMA 2 had been released without bugs it would ahve scored much higher on reviews and recived more sales. Whata waste/....

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

well i reloaded and this tiem followed the NAPA they eventually got to a house ne of novy stova and there were 2 x scouts there. However you cant talk to them and you cant talk to leader of the NAPA group, bug????

So reloaded and this time chose to be extracted by chopper, radioed it and it doesnt arrive waited over 10mins and nothing......

Do i have to replay the previous level and give the arms to the priest for this level to work (wouldnt surprise me...)???

How strange, I have played through this part three times. The first time (1.01), I had the cannot move bug, but then worked out that I hadn't followed the script. Second time, still (1.01) I managed to wait until 5 pm, spoke to the Napa guys but called the chopper (given the option) which was shot down. Third time, (1.02)I chose to go with the Napa guys, BUT am told to board the chopper by HQ, which I did, but still got shot down of course.

made has any one followed NAPA and on the prvious mission not helped the priest

Hi guys just joined.

I HATE THIS GAME! as has been said it has not been tested properly.

I have spent the past 2 days(5hr in total) trying to get to the ext point and find the guys in NOVA.

I reported the guns

got the paperwork and returned.

killed a few reds at the entrance and had the vid with him dyin

saw the greens and went to look, got the shpeel. at no point did it say to follow them. I chose to go napa as the sams reported, common sence says not to fly. the fella said to go talk to father but he might not like you for turnin in guns or go to NOVA to talk to martin or some other fella as they might be more helpful. so I get in the Humvv and go down the road and fill up at the first fuel station. Ive been on all the roads to get to the south, even tried goin to see preist, he not there, as the T90 is in the way so I went the long way round the top of the village. I got out at the junction to the west of the town and a fella ran up to me sayin I had to leave as the father fled and to go see the 2 fighters in NOVA. go there, no one is there! went to the house at the top of the hill were 2 scouts are, cant do anything.

I am loosing my tether with this, I loved OFP and Have been waitin for OFP2 for over 2 years now.

1 is OFP2 gonna be sim to this garbage? if so ill cancel the pre order!

2 what do I do? take it start again and follow them at the FOB?

I will say that if this game has everything cleaned up it will be ace. I love the fact that you have falmost free rain over were you go. the gfx are nice.

as the game is at the min it is rubbish, why put an objective in that is never doable?

and if you are ment to follow the greens at the FOB then why not have him say follow us n we'll take you to NOVA?

from what he said it made me think I had to find my own way there as he wishes you luck?

I really want to LOVE the game but it is so hard when a company brings out a game that has such a MAHOOOOOOSIVE F&^%up.

sorry but it is annoying, I do thank them for bringing out this kind of game and I do apreciate that it is tuns of work to get it to work, But please make sure it works before selling it.

I am gonna continue to play it and try to keep my cool as keyboards, mice, monitors dont last long when I play games like this lol.

hope they are sorted soon.

billy

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

OMG

jus started again,

went to get the docs ok

came back and while talkin to napa I said not need their help, then told the bos no fly n ide drive, ok

went to fill up and went around the back of preist town. I know from previous that a man comes to talk to you at the WEST side of the town. then followed main rd to NOVA were for the first time I was met by REDS and duely dealt with.

OMFG what do you do? gonna try again tomoz and say yes to the NAPA. looks the only way to go which is against the game? as it says your choices deter the path of the game? (er well no they dont! specially if you die when you want to do something.)

In a way this seems as boaring as CoD only Cod works and is more fun as you jus follow the path and kill everything on the way.

Just a thought, as I'm still not clear - can we have somebody post a step by step guide to completing this Bitter Chill mission when you chose not to call in SF21? Not a walk-thru, but a step by step guide to triggers that must be hit, I guess?

From what I gather, it's something like 1: talk to napa 2: chose not to fly 3: follow napa to red car 4: get in the trunk...

I'm not sure if that's correct, or what to do once we're in the trunk so could somebody please clarify what to do from FOB after choosing not to fly please?

I haven't played this game since my big rant a few days ago (as on page 2) and in truth, I miss it! Maybe if I knew there was an imminent 1.03 patch I would wait, but with no news on 1.03 I'm eager to get back into the game as is.

OH, and if anybody does make this post, can they confirm the steps they post work after reporting the weapons cache at the church as it sounds like the priest is involved.

Thanks in advance to whoever does; I'm sure there's plenty of others that need it besides myself.

RIGHT

I am now concvinced that this game is total s£$te!

I have just restarted the mission and I followed the gp of NAPA fighters that I spoke to, they take me on foot to the house on the hill wi the 2 scouts on??????????? were I cant do anything.

BI a little tip, make sure the damn thing works!

The gp of NAPA fighters say good luck to you when you finish chatting so what would make you follow them?

also what does the man in GORKA have to do with it? at the west end of town. he tells you to go due to the reds and to go talk to the 2 fighters in NOVA.

Why are there no fighters in NOVA when 2 ppl say there are?

Edited by vRS_Billy

Just a thought, as I'm still not clear - can we have somebody post a step by step guide to completing this Bitter Chill mission when you chose not to call in SF21? Not a walk-thru, but a step by step guide to triggers that must be hit, I guess?

From what I gather, it's something like 1: talk to napa 2: chose not to fly 3: follow napa to red car 4: get in the trunk...

After 4: you get out of the red car just before a Russian checkpoint.

5: Head North to the NAPA safehouse or South to the CDF lines avoiding any major firefights with Red armoured vehicles.

That's it really.

Letting the Priest keep the weapons in Manhatten gets the NAPA on your side.

P

yea but in real life as a soldier you do your job and that was to report them.

I think that BI need to get a military person in there so as to make the game as real as pos.

were is this red car then as I followed them and they went direct to a house wi the 2 scouts?

were is this red car then as I followed them and they went direct to a house wi the 2 scouts?

From FOB Manhatten head SE towards the town (Khelm). You will intercept the NAPA fighters and a red hatchback on the road. Order your team into the car then get in the boot/back.

P

cheers,

take it that this is the only way till BI sort it out? so what about the man on the west of GOLKA that tells you the preist has fled and to go see the 2 fighters in NOVA?? what story line is he for?

this is random

lol

I can't even plant the satchel in the house, it's bugged or something... Anyone else encountered this problem?

I've planted one before so I think I know how to do it.

plant it jus out side mate n try that, I can plant mine inside ne probs

I planted mine inside

Just spin your mouse wheel and click on the satchel charge option. Then click 30 sec timer

Okay... I followed the NAPA guys to Alter - where there was no car, or anything else of use... Apparently we're NOT supposed to follow them?

Take 2: I head SE towards the road just W of Keln, as instructed in a post back one page, and I find the red hatchback. My team get in... I walk around to the back and get in the trunk... and... nothing. I'm going to try waiting 'til 1700 to see if that causes something to happen - if not then I have no idea what could have gone wrong as my entire team are in the car, with the civi in the drivers seat.

FYI, I didn't encounter any NAPA on the way to the car (relevant?) and nobody has acknowledged the car (no radio messages, no talking between the team about it... nothing). Any hints? :(

Update:

Okay I waited by the car for 10 minutes @ 4x speed to get to 5pm then went to Napa and now I'm at delaying the bear with the unresponsive AI. hahaha... jeez...

Edited by SuperRobotJesus

Some how I get the feeling that BI have just releised thei piece of crap to get money!

now they have it I hope to GOD that they fix it! this is un acceptable!

Some how I get the feeling that BI have just releised thei piece of crap to get money!

now they have it I hope to GOD that they fix it! this is un acceptable!

I know how you feel but it's not the same as if these were bugs where in a ea or ubisoft game. There is still so much to do in arma 2. Ie play with the editor, play a scenario or play mp (which all have loads of possiblities).

Most games just consist of liniar missions. This game still has so much to offer you.

yup thats why I got it coz I am board of the liniar game as you cant do anything for yourself, I do love it, but at the same time I am frustrated with it as certain things dont work and need sorting.

BI are going the right way tho.

if I get time today I might try this one again.