Sign in to follow this  
Wifout Teef

Digital or Boxed Copy?

Hi I tried searching for a thread about this and couldn't find one. Please tell me if there is one.

Should I get the boxed version of ARMA 2 or the Steam version? I live in the US so if I get the steam version, I'll get it earlier, but I love having the physical copy.

Basically this boils down to:

is the box and manual worth the extra 4 days?

Thanks

I don't think anyone is going to be able yto answer that for you, since we dont know how much you value a box and the manual.

Retail stores are getting it on the 30th, IIRC. Steam is getting it on the 26th.

I do value manuals and stuff a lot. But only if they're high quality.

Is it several pages long and is it colored? Is the box pretty good quality? (aka not easily damaged)

I ouldn;t know about the manual. But I can imagine that it doesn't cover everything in the game.

And the box, I would assume it;s your standard DVD case.

your better get a boxed copy. trust me and dont ask. i hate steam and i have played many games on it. they do not offer me help or support because the game is not made by valve (empire total war) if your gonna use steam buy only valve games. steam crashes my games. it updates when i dont want it too, and if it does update and i stop it it will not let me play. sometimes updates delete mods and addons. get the boxed copy like i am ( i ordered mine from england because i couldnt wait lol) that way you wont be dissatisfied. you can return the game if it is defective on the physical version. if you ever lose your steam id and stuff your screwed. the physical copy can be installed on multiple computers if you ever upgrade. steam also get annoying when friends msg you every 10 seconds and all you hear is ding ding ding ding ding.

TRUST ME GET THE BOXED COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! their customer service is dispicable!

I am an ex steam user of 3 years.

Lol steam is amazing.

I've never had any problems and I am a veteran of steam. VALVe has some of the best support and you can also ask the community.

I have 28 steam games and none of them have problems. It never deletes stuff or prevents me from playing.

LOL that's pathetic. If you don't want that sound, then turn the sound effect off.

You can also upgrade computers and reinstall it with steam.

Now stop preaching to me and get some logic.

I have never had a problem with steam, so I pre ordered the digital copy. I had done the same with Arma 1.

Usually the download copy comes with the manual in the files in pdf format, though you might have to go looking for it.

I keep my steam id and all the other important passwords and cd keys on a printed piece of paper in my firesafe.

I still want an answer to:

"is the manual high quality?"

Come on guys, just look at your manual and tell me if it's a good, colored manual or if it's a short, black and white one.

I personally like to have a hard copy of games i like. makes me feel more secure in my purchase

Does Steam have automatic updates for non-Valve games like Arma 2?

Does Steam have automatic updates for non-Valve games like Arma 2?

Yes it does. My proof is that it does it to Audiosurf, Far Cry 2, among others.

As long as you buy it with steam.

I'll probably get that, then. I'll go ahead and download it tomorrow and unlock it on the 26th.

As long as the steam version doesn't take like a week longer to update...

I'll probably get that, then. I'll go ahead and download it tomorrow and unlock it on the 26th.

As long as the steam version doesn't take like a week longer to update...

It doesn't.

Steam updating is faster than any other kind of updating.

The only time I buy a digital download is when it is cheaper. Screw getting a download when the box is the same price, even though it costs more to manufacture.

It's only 4 days man.

ill guess ill wait 2 more weeks for my boxed version of arma 2 which is much cheaper from cdwow than downloading digital copy and wasting bandwidth, and having the feeling of being unsecure. I prefer hard copies!

4 days is a long time, considering I've only been waiting on this game when I discovered it a week and a half ago and it's already got me hooked :P

The downloadable versions apparently have a pdf manual as well.

logic????? when one of my games crashed they said sorry we cant help you it is a 3rd party game. thats terrile service. i bought the game on their store. maybe when one of your products gets messed up you too will come to dislike steam.

logic????? when one of my games crashed they said sorry we cant help you it is a 3rd party game. thats terrile service. i bought the game on your store. maybe when one of your products gets messed up you too will come to dislike steam.

Lol you're expecting VALVe to help with a non-VALVe game?

Go ask the third party developer and reinstall the game. Jesus.

See? You need logic.

And to whoever said "its just 4 days"... I've been waiting for this game for an eternity. I can't wait any longer.

Honestly, nobody has answered my question. It's so damn simple.

Whoever has the game, go look at your manual. Is it long and colored? Tell me what it is.

logic????? when one of my games crashed they said sorry we cant help you it is a 3rd party game. thats terrile service. i bought the game on their store. maybe when one of your products gets messed up you too will come to dislike steam.

....Did you redownload the game? I have games dump on me before, a redownload/reinstall usually does the trick and everything's back to normal. Occasionally I end up with bad save files, though the last game I had that ended up with corrupt saves wasn't even through steam.

You almost act like Steam wouldn't let you download the game ever again.

Also, like Teef said, it's a non Valve game. If the game has some horrendous bug, it's best to ask the actual developer's support, not Steam's. Steam is mainly a method of distrobution ran by Valve.

Edited by Steakslim

Remember, Steams version has no drm aside from steam itself.

Sold it for me.

Well think of it this way, That is like going to gamestop and saying "My game has a direct-x issue with my system, wtf is up?" They'd look at you very strange and probably say the same thing.

Steam is an online store pretty much, unless it is a Valve game.