Sign in to follow this  
Overwatch

ATI 4890 white blobs

Whistfully thinking I would get better FPS if I upgraded my 8800GTS to a spanking new 4890, I did so. Not only do I NOT get any noticeable FPS boost but now I get loads of flickery white blobs on the screen when moving about. Much better card = no improvement. WTF???

Has anyone else experienced this with their ATI. Know of any tweaks or fixes I could employe with the 4890??

BI - Can you aim the next patch at optimization and leave the bugs for when the game will run decently?

I have the same card. The latest 1.02 patch actually degraded the game performance. I purchased the German version 1.00 - 1.01 when it came out and I had much better FPS than I'm getting right now with this latest worldwide release version. No white blobs tho...

Before whining make sure you've updated your drivers and settings to suit your new card, post your complete hardware config and your Arma2 config file content.

About FPS drop after patching, most of the time it's due to (1) fragmentation due to patching => defrag (with good tools) cures the trouble (2) Trying to play savegames saved before patching (3) ArmA2.cfg not updated to patch level : delete the old cfg file, letting ArmA create a new one solves the trouble.

4890 here also (but I fitted a better fan than stock)... but no white blobs that you speak of. Do the graphic corruption appear straight away when you start the game? I did remember having flickering blobs in arma1 (after about 1hr play) with my old graphics card because it was running too hot.

Are you overclocking your card?

(1) fragmentation due to patching => defrag (with good tools) cures the trouble

(2) Trying to play savegames saved before patching

(3) ArmA2.cfg not updated to patch level : delete the old cfg file, letting ArmA create a new one solves the trouble.

1) Stock answer is to blame fragmentation etc... My baby is clean

2) Haven't touched single player. Don't intend to.

3) Deleted it did nothing.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

My rig is

HP 2475

dual core e6700 clocked to 3.4

4gb ram

vista x64

4890 with Latest catalyst drives as of last 24hrs.

I only seem to get the blobs in daylight. I was in settings when it was doing a ship fly by in the dark and nothing. I daylight I managed to capture one with a screen shot.

These suckers are hard to screen grab but very noticeable and in more number during gameplay. Sort of a flickering effect from different locations. They appear from the start which rules out heat issues.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb28/gaareth_uk/?action=view&current=arma22009-06-2200-33-13-40.jpg

The blob is middle right of the screen below the white dome.

Hope I don't have to wait to the next patch, frame rate is bad enough with gfx errors.

I'm guessing you just took your old card out and put the new one in without formatting or even cleaning the old drivers. (not just uninstalling).

Is that right?

yeah I just uninstalled software. Removed card. Insert new one. Installed software.

COD is running as was but if you think it will help can you recommend any good driver cleaners??? Never used one before

just reduce detail to avoir white poping artefact (only terrain detail if I remember from very high to high in my case)

I have 3 other theories

1. You didnt connect the graphics card properly

2. Your monitor is playing up

3. ATI is known for its issues with this game (and others), might have to suck it up until new drivers or a another ArmA2 patch comes out that specifically fixes it.

Even reducing details all to medium/low did not resolve it. Only when playing night levels do I not get this tear? I know its only one small white spec on the img of the 1 frame I uploaded but at 30+fps it looks like it's snowing.

Ran a drive cleaner which found nothing but an old reg entry for my last mouse.

If no other games are effected it has to be Arma2 side. With all the posts about nvidias top card the good news is at least I'm not alone with on the buggy game fix :) Lets hope BIS or community come up with something.

First dip into the Arma series but man the bugs and tech faults are annoying. BIS need to rethink a few priorites.

EDIT: Found this post that reports similar issues to mine. Deffo looks like a game/engine fault

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1323173&posted=1#post1323173

Edited by Overwatch

1)

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb28/gaareth_uk/?action=view&current=arma22009-06-2200-33-13-40.jpg

The blob is middle right of the screen below the white dome.

Hope I don't have to wait to the next patch, frame rate is bad enough with gfx errors.

hmmm that lil square of white? are you for real? anyways i see your at the "24" LCD 19/12... and with vsync on a 60HZ refresh, you wil be getting the halving... 30fps ,if you cant run over 60fps... which your card can not do 60 on its own most of the time, and for sure you cant, if your high settings and 200%. But you cant run at 200% and have to run at 100% and it is jaggie and crawly on edges.. all do to a Display that is too much for the H/W and Game.. its the curse of COD, i can run COD all day long at uber high and get max fps all the time. But ARMA is not a easy shoebox, i find that if i use one 48701gb, its 1024/768 @120hz with 200% and all VH, the game is butter.

Oh and i do not get the "blob" square at all, does it go away with higher Fillrate?

3.8cpu,two 4870x2's , always 200%, 12/10, 16/12, 19/14-the MP setting. I find stock missions to have big dips in frames that will recover every time with a alt-tab and back. Want more frames get another card.CF works

Edited by kklownboy