Sign in to follow this  
Jackdaniels

OMG I just fixed all my game problems by doing this.

Edited - I have found a better fix that works and will post it in a new thread.

Edited by Jackdaniels

are you sure these numbers you posted are correct cause they seems bit 'weird' :)

1280x1024 render and res for me, med to high settings across the board, 3000m draw distance. Smooth frame rate with very few slowdowns. 8800GTX.

I am still scratching my head over why doing the following has completely fixed my game. I now have no mouse lag or slow gameplay, but I cannot explain why this would fix it. Can someone else do what I have just done and explain to me why this has fixed things. I have changed just two setting in the game options for this fix - I have set interface resolution to 1289x768 and the 3D resolution to 16x960. I also set Anti alias to 2 in the config.

I did try other resolutions some lower than this, but I then get mouse lag and slow game play. This is the only resolution that stops all this for me. I hope you try this and give some feedback.

BTW - I have a Geforce 260 GTX.

Damn you are lucky. I went from v1.01 playing with maxed out settings and the game ran perfectly in the biggest of missions. Now with v1.02 I get stuttering when I walk around. It doesn't matter if I lower settings, I still get the stuttering when walking. It's the strangest thing.

I've noticed wierd things with setting graphic to higher thasn what I'd expect the game would perform well at an am also kinda dumg\founded as I run 1024x768 Nvidia 9800 GS OC an run ArmA at High(or Very high) an advanced settings I run most at normal with view distance set 2500. Now i know when I got the game an first messed with stuff i ran everything at low an game performance just seemed crappy then I bumped things up an played around with things. Not that I'm complaining 8). AMD Anthalon 4600+2.4 ghz 4 gig ddr2 Wind vista 32 bit HJome Premium.

1280x1024 render and res for me, med to high settings across the board, 3000m draw distance. Smooth frame rate with very few slowdowns. 8800GTX.

What CPU do you have?

Asking cause I have a 8800GTX as well but from previous posts I am fearing Arma2 wont run well (I have a C2D e6600@2.4, not overclocked yet)

are you sure these numbers you posted are correct cause they seems bit 'weird' :)

Sorry I mean this -I have set interface resolution to 1280x768 and the 3D resolution to 1600x960. I also set Anti alias to 2 in the config.

El nino - Try that resolution above and see if it improves your gameplay. Like I already meantioned I to tried lower settings aswell, but it gave me bad preformance and only the ones I meantion work good for me.

My cpu is Amd 64 dual core 3.12Ghz.

Graphics card Geforce 260GTX

Memory 4GB

Edited by Jackdaniels

I take back my prior post. I just defraged the ol' Raptor and all stuttering problems in v1.02 are gone.

I take back my prior post. I just defraged the ol' Raptor and all stuttering problems in v1.02 are gone.

So defragging solved the stutter problem for you completely? Does that include flying around in a jet and walking around in cities?

Just formatter myself, hope it has the same effect as defragging it, hope the stuttering is gone :)

Erm - this post isn't about defrag! So maybe you need to make your own post. I am trying to find out info from people who use the settings I suggested.

Erm - this post isn't about defrag! So maybe you need to make your own post. I am trying to find out info from people who use the settings I suggested.

omg, calm down dude.

and as the mod said, your resolution is very wierd, are you playing on an very old tft monitor or what?

@Jackdaniels,

you say you've set your resolution to 1280x768 and 3D (rendering) resolution to 1600x960 which is, by my calculations, the equivalent of 125% fillrate. This gives you a rather weird aspect ratio (5:3). Also you set FSAA to 2, which means shadows were disabled.

Would you mind telling us which settings you had before, i.e. which real resolution and which rendering resolution? Also, which monitor do you have? :)

What CPU do you have?

Asking cause I have a 8800GTX as well but from previous posts I am fearing Arma2 wont run well (I have a C2D e6600@2.4, not overclocked yet)

AMD Athlon X2 64 4600+ no OC, running XP Pro' 32bit tweaked. For RAM I have 4GB of DDR2 PC6400 @ 800MHz.

Whole setup was built three years ago.

omg, calm down dude.

and as the mod said, your resolution is very wierd, are you playing on an very old tft monitor or what?

The mod said the resolution was weird because it didn't exist. I made a mistake with the resoultion, but have since edited my post and put in the correct resolution I use.

@Jackdaniels,

you say you've set your resolution to 1280x768 and 3D (rendering) resolution to 1600x960 which is, by my calculations, the equivalent of 125% fillrate. This gives you a rather weird aspect ratio (5:3). Also you set FSAA to 2, which means shadows were disabled.

Would you mind telling us which settings you had before, i.e. which real resolution and which rendering resolution? Also, which monitor do you have? :)

The monitor I have is a iiyama 24 inch Lcd TFT. I have tried all different resolutions, but my game plays really slow and unplayable for me. The resolution I have mentioned in my post already is the only one I have found that works well for me.

I would be greatfull if you could suggest some other resolution that you think would work for me, and also explain why the resolution I have mentioned already makes the game run really quick and smooth.

Also, you say that by setting the FSAA to 2, that I have disabled shadows? How is that? I thought this setting was the Anti alias setting.

Edited by Jackdaniels

Also, you say that by setting the FSAA to 2, that I have disabled shadows? How is that? I thought this setting was the Anti alias setting.

because since AA isn't fully implemented yet, it disables shadows when you enable AA

If you've not noticed, shadows make a very nice effect on the grass, bushes and trees. Disabling shadows and enabling AA is not worth the difference in my opinion. If I were you I'd wait until fully functional AA.

There is no real 'fix' in this post. Not worth the time to read all this crap.

Wonder how many posts we'll have from trolls who want to tell us everytime they have low/high fps.

There is no real 'fix' in this post. Not worth the time to read all this crap.

Wonder how many posts we'll have from trolls who want to tell us everytime they have low/high fps.

Since Fps have a major impact on how a game plays out, isn't it obvious to you that alot of people will post about it?

This is a forum and this post is under a section called "TROUBLESHOOTING." Now may I suggest this, if you don't wish to help or read the posts, then it would be a good idear to stay out of them. Can I will also assure you - THAT NOBODY HERE IS FORCING YOU TO READ THIS. I also notice you are not a Moderator, so you don't even have to visit the forums and read what you consider crap if you don't want to.

Edited by Jackdaniels

What CPU do you have?

I have C2D E6750, 4GB RAM, 8800 GTX w\ 768MB RAM and I can run ArmA2 with everything on at least high with 3000 meter view distance at 1680x1050 no problem.

I tried your settings, just in case some magic would happen. But no, my hardware is just too weak to hold the pan. :q (Laptop with Mobility HD 2600 and core 2 duo T7500@2.2Ghz)

My Spec:

ARMA2 1.02

Nvidia 182.50 drivers

Athlon 64 x2 6000+ OC 3.2Ghz

GTX260 OC (216core) 800MB

800 FSB MOBO

XP 32bit Service pack 3

Xfi Extreme Gamer Sound card

I finally stopped some major stuttering and splutters in built up cities and flying and could also raise view distant to up to near 3000 by finding a sweet spot, which was setting my textures level to normal but then setting my video memory to very high .. video memory to anything less caused more stutters and jolts for me.

I tested looking at ti with texture level high etc and the eye candy doesn't drop so much that I could really tell. I could then set fill rate to 133percent also running native at 1440x900, put object detail to high and also landscape detail and then set view distance to just under 3000, shadows to high also.

I tried this under Vista 32 (dual boot) and its still laggy so it was better under XP fo me. I still have a few minor splutters while buffering the data (usual expected thing for arma) but its much more pleasant on the ground in large built up areas.

Massive difference was flying, I had textures high, vid mem high before and flying was a pause fest even at 2000 view distance.

My system is on the fringe in terms of spec for game, but so far with the eye candy you get at these settings and what I have as a rig I expected allot worse to be honest. Sure more AI around = fps drop which is understandable, I will get a quad fairly soon, but I do tend to play small teams in SP which I like the most.

in open large Forrest areas I cant really see an issue here, only when you get to coast areas or areas that have large built up towns/cities. But as I say setting my texture & vid mem options to how I have it made this allot better for me. I tested by placing large units with the biggest areas, running and spinning as fast as I could to see how it lagged and paused, both in full sunshine and rain (testing shadows) and it was far better .. still LOD moments, but far better.

I found that in the rain (even without setting fog) the performance is great, I prefer bad weather anyway :)

What I liked is down scaling in this game still doesn't give you that much crappy eye candy.

Edited by mrcash2009

My Spec:

ARMA2 1.02

Nvidia 182.50 drivers

Athlon 64 x2 6000+ OC 3.2Ghz

GTX260 OC (216core) 800MB

800 FSB MOBO

XP 32bit Service pack 3

Xfi Extreme Gamer Sound card

I finally stopped some major stuttering and splutters in built up cities and flying and could also raise view distant to up to near 3000 by finding a sweet spot, which was setting my textures level to normal but then setting my video memory to very high .. video memory to anything less caused more stutters and jolts for me.

I tested looking at ti with texture level high etc and the eye candy doesn't drop so much that I could really tell. I could then set fill rate to 133percent also running native at 1440x900, put object detail to high and also landscape detail and then set view distance to just under 3000, shadows to high also.

I tried this under Vista 32 (dual boot) and its still laggy so it was better under XP fo me. I still have a few minor splutters while buffering the data (usual expected thing for arma) but its much more pleasant on the ground in large built up areas.

Massive difference was flying, I had textures high, vid mem high before and flying was a pause fest even at 2000 view distance.

My system is on the fringe in terms of spec for game, but so far with the eye candy you get at these settings and what I have as a rig I expected allot worse to be honest. Sure more AI around = fps drop which is understandable, I will get a quad fairly soon, but I do tend to play small teams in SP which I like the most.

in open large Forrest areas I cant really see an issue here, only when you get to coast areas or areas that have large built up towns/cities. But as I say setting my texture & vid mem options to how I have it made this allot better for me. I tested by placing large units with the biggest areas, running and spinning as fast as I could to see how it lagged and paused, both in full sunshine and rain (testing shadows) and it was far better .. still LOD moments, but far better.

I found that in the rain (even without setting fog) the performance is great, I prefer bad weather anyway :)

What I liked is down scaling in this game still doesn't give you that much crappy eye candy.

Cheers for that,helped me out a lot using those settings!Im using:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3ghz

Nvidia 8800GTX

2GB RAM

Vista 32-bit

600 GB dual hard drive

Bit gutted i cant run this game at its best seen as my PC has no bother with Far Cry 2 etc on max settings,but at least with his set up i can at least play the game at a decent frame rate with good enough visuals! :)

I run smooth on 1280x1024 and 3D at 1600x1200 and on 16/10 any lower 3D settings and the game run not as good and seriously near sided.