Sign in to follow this  
goldkid80

For gtx 295 users

Sli definetly ain't working correctly despite what people are saying, however it seems to work fine in the menu. Sli off churns out anything between 40 - 60 throughout the carrier scene, while Sli on comes up with a permanent 60+. But in-game it is totally different.

I have a odd problem where my fps will drop to around 28, at which point it will level out, and stay there even with shitloads of enemies on the screen. When i reach this weird "fps wall", i see no fps difference when looking at the ground or the sky, like you normally would.

For example, i spawn at a random place on the island and get 42 average fps when looking around. When i look into the ground it goes 60+, and so does the sky. This is common ofcourse. But when units are nearby, any amount around 30 it would seem, it gets stuck at 26 - 32 fps, and almost NEVER changes no matter what i am looking at, directly up or down. Even with 30 or more units nearby, the fps "should" skyrocket when looking into the sky. From the point where it starts doing this, i can keep creating tons of units (100 or more) without it ever going below 26 fps. What the hell is going on here.

Can't decide if this is the 295, the i7 920, or even both. Oh, and game settings have absolutely no effect. All low or all maxed, same fps.

Edited by Apocca

Yeah 60 fps in menus then drops to a locked 30fps in game. You can see it actually happening when you run Fraps on a G15 keyboard. The set locked framerate is displayed to the right of the running live framerate ticker in small numerals on the G15 LCD screen. In the menu scenes it sits on 60 then as soon as you jump in game it drops to a locked 30. Your subsequent in game fps can not go over that set locked framerate (60 and 30 respectively). Its just crazy, why have they locked SLI out and put this 30 frames cap on? :eek:

I run the crysis64.exe trick and its fine in single player missions for the first game, SLI is running. As soon as I change to a second game its reset and the framerate almost halves.

Nothing makes much sense and there is no across the board fix out yet. Just accept it and wait for the patch.

Edited by nzjono

Yeah 60 fps in menus then drops to a locked 30fps in game. You can see it actually happening when you run Fraps on a G15 keyboard. The set locked framerate is displayed to the right of the running live framerate ticker in small numerals on the G15 LCD screen. In the menu scenes it sits on 60 then as soon as you jump in game it drops to a locked 30. Your subsequent in game fps can not go over that set locked framerate (60 and 30 respectively). Its just crazy, why have they locked SLI out and put this 30 frames cap on? :eek:

I run the crysis64.exe trick and its fine in single player missions for the first game, SLI is running. As soon as I change to a second game its reset and the framerate almost halves.

Nothing makes much sense and there is no across the board fix out yet. Just accept it and wait for the patch.

The thing is though, that my fps often goes well above 30 when nothing is going on. Its only when i put down units it starts dropping, and eventually stops at the 30 area. Though it often goes below 30 :(

I dont think this FPS lock exists SLI is not being turned off, I think what your seeing ingame is a bottleneck with the CPU, the first scenario someone try that see what FPS you get in there, theres not a lot of AI and im getting around 50FPS in the mission, albeit ive got two GTX 280's.

if i got botlenecked with a xtreme cpu i don't now i tjink there will be 90 % of the people who get bottleneckek because of the cpu then.

QX6850 Xtreme cpu = 900 euro other games i got max 30 % of use. if this is goiing to eat about 100 % of my cpu there is someting wrong.

BTW my cpu load is at max 55 % of max. with steam, skype, evga precision, kaspersky, hamachi and a lot of other programs so Cpu isn't the problem ( hope so else i don't now what cpu BI uses )

BI you gotta fix this problem it's a performance issue and it's a lot more important then AI pathfinding in my opinion.

I dont think this FPS lock exists SLI is not being turned off, I think what your seeing ingame is a bottleneck with the CPU, the first scenario someone try that see what FPS you get in there, theres not a lot of AI and im getting around 50FPS in the mission, albeit ive got two GTX 280's.

Not really CPU bottlenecking. None of the 4 cores and the 4 virtual ones ever hit anything above 80% at max. And this is with hundreds of AI running around.

Im running a i7 920 at 3.6GHz and a GTX295 on vista 64. It cant be the cpu bottleneck surely. The game just is being handicapped and running at about half power on i7 cpu and GTX295 combos IMO :confused: Something is stopping SLI from working correctly and IS locking the framerate on my game at 30 and 60 fps respectively. Its displayed on my Fraps G15 LCD screen right in front of me when I play. My ingame framerate varies between 25 and 30..it can not go over 30. The number 30 is sitting LOCKED in the LCD Fraps screen to the right of the live framerate. The live framerate hovers around 30 and never goes over it. In the menus that solid 30 changes to a locked 60 and the live framerate hovers around 55 to 60 never to go over that. I can only presume that this 30 and 60 are the game locking the framerate to these 2 figures, what else could it be? So is it a combination of SLI not working properly AND this locked framerate hampering us??

lcdfraps.jpg

My machine eats every other game out there but.... this one...oh this one @$@$%@#%%^&&&@!!!!!!

Edited by nzjono

Not really CPU bottlenecking. None of the 4 cores and the 4 virtual ones ever hit anything above 80% at max. And this is with hundreds of AI running around.

Disable your HT. It helps.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-975-950_7.html#sect0

Sli definetly ain't working correctly despite what people are saying, however it seems to work fine in the menu. Sli off churns out anything between 40 - 60 throughout the carrier scene, while Sli on comes up with a permanent 60+. But in-game it is totally different.

How is the SLI Load Balancer HUD supposed to look when SLI is up and functional?

And have you tried running it with the old ArmA 1 Nvidia profile?

I have a GTX260 OC 216 ... now my spec isnt same as yourselves here.

I have 182.50 drivers under XP32.

I noticed lag and stuttering improve so much more both flying at 3000 vew distance and on the ground in large built up areas by setting 2 things.

1. Set Video memory to Very High

2. Coupled with texture detail to normal.

This should not be the case with textures on your cards and rigs obviously, but im thinking optimisation would enhance less bottle necking to the card when buffering the data, seems quite a hit high or very high. This combination for me made it much better to fly and to run around with large groups in large city areas. I used to have textures high/very high & vid mem High and flying was a stutter fest at even 2000 view distance.

This isn't a solution and I understand the bottlenecking things etc, but it seems "for now" with arma2 that combination (maybe even high textures) will bring about more stable streaming.

Patch 1.02 BTW.

Not a solution for all but try that combo out. The lesser texture level for me didnt make a show stopping eye candy drop at all.

Edited by mrcash2009

SLI is definitely not working for me. I can tell because the temps are only averaging around 60 - 70 degrees, when normally in most other games it's around 80 - 85 degrees.

Plus the performance, especially in MP is absolutely appalling. Basically it's unplayable, like 15 - 25 fps. Averaging around the 23 fps mark.

I've tried the crysis.exe and -winxp thing, doesn't make any difference on my 295GTX :(

Use nHancer. Copy your ArmA1 Profile and add the arma2.exe ... make it manually enableable... enable it...

I cant set my video memory to very high, is there a way of doing it manually?

Spec:

Q6850 3ghz

GTX295

8Gig DDR3 ram

Vista Ultimate 64

I cant set my video memory to very high, is there a way of doing it manually?

Spec:

Q6850 3ghz

GTX295

8Gig DDR3 ram

Vista Ultimate 64

that means your viewdistance is too high, it will automaticly change as you increase your VD.

it's not working i can do whatever i want my FPS don't raise i tried everything.

Changing profiles manually, setting it to read only 31 (MAX) FPS ingame isn't enough for me to playthe game SMOOTH. we just gotta wait for some patches and hope they fixes the problem.

It's a blame that we can't play the game at a reassonable setting for our card.

BI shame on you

hope you'll fix it soon

BTW workarounds = beta games. it isn't normal that we gotta try those fixes to get the game playable.

BI if you see this topic just give us an answer and say you working on it and if you don't, no problem just tell us.

IMO you got great games but only crappy beta testers with crappy configs (sorry to telll you i've been beta testing for the 2 K games and we never released crap like this. )

regards,

goldkid

Edited by goldkid80

I appreciate the complexity of these Arma games. So i don't expect them to run like COD4 or Farcry 2. I do on the otherhand, expect the game to run decently at lower settings - which Arma 2 does not.

Infact it doesn't matter whether i select the lowest or highest settings, the game still runs like crap.

It's very upsetting, cause all i wanna do is appreciate this masterpiece. But the lousy performance and constant CTD's, have turned my Arma 2 experience into a living hell lol.

hello excuse me for my english but i m french

i have exactely the same problem with arma 2 my system is following:

-core 2 duo x6800 extreme 2.93 ghz

-asus striker 2 extreme

-graphic card :gtx 295

-4 go ddr3 12800 ocz

running windows vista 64 with last driver 186.18

and the game is not fluid at all the fps are 15 to 28 max

i dont understand at all

have an idea

i bought this config for play arma 2 and i m very furious.....

my processor it is good or i must change it?

okay update on my part.

Today i awaiting my new mouse (Razer Mamba) and eagerly installed it, was very happy with it. And before i loaded up ARMA2 to test if for some strange reason i opened up nvidia control panel, now i went into the crysis64 profile that i was using and changed a few things

vsync FORCED OFF

AA off

and a couple of others i changed (will edit this when im home from work to see what it was i changed)

Also i removed the -winxp from my shortcut

My shortcut has been renamed to Crysis64 (which did give me a 10 fps increase)

So i did this, not even thinking it would fix my many issues (Graphic gliches, low fps, missing textures, flickering etc etc)

So, game loading i entered into game, and wondered what the fook had happened, my fps went up to between 60 and 70, from 20 to 30. My settings where set to normal/high, view distance around 3500, shadows off, aa off etc.

So i started to reset some options, and now all is high to very high, shadows on very high, post blah blah to off still, my 3D res is at 200% and im running 1920x1200 on my 24" monitor.

And i was getting a smooth 25 to 45 fps, and WITH NO GRAPHIC GLICHES, i know its insane but hey mine is sorted.

So when this game does get sorted it will be alot better.

Also my view distance is at 3500 still as i want terrain setting as high, if i turn to very high the view distance drops. im wondering if i can force the view distance to max and force terrain settings to max, any ideas?

Try it lads, it may work for you, ive spent 4 days trying to sort this, and finally it looks good.

The drivers i cant recall, but there not standard nvidia, or the older ones people keep suggesting. Will also update what drivers im using when im home from work in 20 minutes

my specs:

Vista Ultimate 64

Q6850 3ghz

GTX295

8gid DDR3 ram

I'll keep checking in here to see if any of this babble works for you chaps :)

Reinstall the 182.50 driver :) - it helps :)

Not really. Same or worse performance for me with 182.50

Not really. Same or worse performance for me with 182.50

With gtx 295?

30 sec of complaints:

I bought a new rig for each Arma and since OFP.

This time I was like "this new BIS game looks devastating, I'm gonna save more money and buy a BEAST, capable of sending stuff in space"

"So what's the best money can buy ? I7 + GTX 295 ? Let's go for that !"

Oh well...

1 min request:

It is obvious that BIS devellopers are aware of issues encountered with our high end PC's, but has anyone of them already talked about it, on this forum or somewhere else ?

It would be VERY (!) nice if they expressed their opinion on this subject; because for now I got the unpleasant feelings that we're just a bunch of desesperated fanboy's, doing no matter what to solve problems that may remain.

Please BIS, just a word to tell us, that a great part of your customers are not just forsaken.

*sorry for the bad english*

@Jade77: I have Intel i7 running at 3,2GHz with 12Gigs DDR3-RAM, and the Gainward GTX-295. Yesterday I succeeded running Arma2 with nvidia drivers 182.50. I have shadows at normal, post-processing at high, texture details at very high, land object details at normal, AA disabled, AF normal, and I am running the game after renamed it to crysis64.exe and using the syntax -nosplash -cpucount=4 -winxp -maxmem=2047 -openal

Fraps show me that I am running about 50-60 Frames but I don't believe this. When turning quickly mouse I have breaks, it looks like Im running 20-30 frames. So why Fraps show me so many frames?? I don't think it's right. Can you tell me the exact details of your resolution set? I have 3D screen at 1920x1200 and Menu also at 1920x1200. Isn't that good? You wrote something about 200%. What exactly did you have setup for a resolution in the game? Please tell me.

Thank you and greetings,

Sloop.

-openal does nothing. It uses it by default

-cpucount=4 doesnt help. Disable HT. It helps

-winxp should do nothing once you enamed it to crysis64.exe

Solutions yet known to me:

Turn HT off. Most games run WORSE when HT is on. Some only run as good as with HT on.

Overclock your system further. Not the GPU but the CPU.

Overclocking the Systembus from 160 to 170 gave me full 200 points in Armamark. Overclocking my GTX 295 CPU to 670 and the RAM to 1170 gave me no serious improvements. So I guess the raw power of the GTX295 should suffice. In Crysis this gave me full 7 FPS

Either using the ArmA 1 Profile or the Crysis Profile (Nvidia uses the same profile for both crysis and crysis64, so that doesnt make any difference). Activate the SLI Load Balancer HUD. If the green Bar on the left is all tall ingame your SLI is working. If not try nHancer wiht an manually activateable profile.

AF made no difference, so you should be able to pimp it.

Post Processing eats a few frames, so look if you dont like it more without.

-world=none loads the game faster, but wont give you improvements ingame.

Having a higher render resolution than your display resolution can't really improve your performance. If you are lucky it doesnt affect your performance, though.

Edited by Alienfreak

Is anyone out there succeeded in running ArmA2 on nvidias latest driver 186.18 ???