POTS

Who got crossfire to work?

Getting crossfire to work...  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Getting crossfire to work...

• Yes, it works
    • No, cant get it to work
    • Have not tried, but have crossfire capability

One GPU does seem to heat 25-30% more than the other.

That's normal for X2's.

I've tried all of the mentioned stuff and a bit of fiddling around in ATT but I can't get my second processor to work on my 3870X2. According to ATT my 1st processor is 99% active and the second between 0,2 and 2,2%.

I run Windows XP 32bit but I even tried the -winxp command.

I use the 9.6 cat driver and the latest beta build of ati tray tools

I've set AI to high, low and off and none made the second processor activate

flip queue to 3, 2, 1, 0 neither

The .exe renaming didn't do anything either, crysis.exe fear.exe and fear2.exe

But to be honest, I've never checked if crossfire worked on this system, any

fast and easy way of checking that?

Edited by ParaGraphic L

changing the exe to fear.exe got the flickering to stop when using crossfire. but the second card is barely used, arma2mark score goes from about 3300 to 3600.

- still get memory corruption on the 512mb cards after a few hours playing though.

flip queue 3?

what you mean?

Here's a pic using ATI tray tools. 3 seemed to work the best.

flipque.th.png

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

[/color]

I've tried all of the mentioned stuff and a bit of fiddling around in ATT but I can't get my second processor to work on my 3870X2. According to ATT my 1st processor is 99% active and the second between 0,2 and 2,2%.

I run Windows XP 32bit but I even tried the -winxp command.

I use the 9.6 cat driver and the latest beta build of ati tray tools

I've set AI to high, low and off and none made the second processor activate

flip queue to 3, 2, 1, 0 neither

The .exe renaming didn't do anything either, crysis.exe fear.exe and fear2.exe

But to be honest, I've never checked if crossfire worked on this system, any

fast and easy way of checking that?

Make sure you have crossfire enabled on start up. I didn't and had the same problems you experienced. I tested the the gpu usage with GPU-Z 3.4 for free from guru3d.

crossenabled.th.png

Edited by rowdied

Just for a few that may seem a little confused about the GFX cards.

A HD4870X2 is a single card with 2 GPU's automatically configured in crossfire.

2 HD4870X2's are 2 cards with 4 GPU's in total hence 'Quad crossfire'.(my system).

(4 Graphics cards essentially).

4 gb 0f DDR5 (1gb per processor).

So, does renaming the arma2.exe to crysis.exe actually do something then?

Maybe you don't understand but you don't add 2GB + 2GB when you have videocards in Quad-Fire. It still remains as 2GB even in a Quad-Fire configuration and since applications cannot take advantage of 2GB on a single 4870 X2 they use 1GB.

Regarding Quad-Crossfire I'll see whether or not it is enabled and taking advantage of the profile with my Phenom II X4 955 BE secondary system.

Edited by Supernova

I have an 4870 X2 & a Q9650, crossfire "works" in so far as the logo appears and both gpus are active, but i am getting performance that is sub par even for only 1 CPU, FPs in the region of 10 - 15 on average detail. So clearly crossfire isnt working in real terms and there is a serious issue with at least the 4870's series if not more.
hmm i get 20 to 40 frames with 1900/1440, 200% fill, all VH except PP at low, have the arma2.cfg set with my refreshrate, and 32hdr.

here is my shortcut:"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Crysis.exe" -winxp -nosplash -maxmem=2047 -mod=@english.

I also use 1280/1024 with all the max(PPlow) and can get 50 to 105fps(21inCRT) . Missions them selves (sp) have varing highs and lows, and when there is a save game it borkes the frames to teens, and i just Alt-Tab out and in, rt back up to great frames. this game is good to go for MP.

CF works. if i run just one 4870, i get in the 15fps with 1900/xxxx, with all four 40in mission 1, or 60 to 90s(21inCRT) in create game area...

3.8i7, 6gb ram.. 2X 4870x2's vista64HB

I can confirm that all four of my cores are working in crossfire.

I am using W7 64, arma2.exe and -winxp switch

I cured the light flickering issues by disabling the cat AI, although there seems to be a slight performance hit when doing this.

Make sure you have crossfire enabled on start up. I didn't and had the same problems you experienced. I tested the the gpu usage with GPU-Z 3.4 for free from guru3d.

crossenabled.th.png

Crossfire is enabled on start up, and in GPU-Z it says ATI Crossfire Enabled (2 GPUs) and on the sensors tab it only shows one GPU not something like GPU1 and GPU2

Still it isn't working in ArmAII for me and I've tried all the mentioned stuff in here. So any recommendations on how to find out that crossfire indeed works good on this system?

Edited by ParaGraphic L

Crossfire is enabled on start up, and in GPU-Z it says ATI Crossfire Enabled (2 GPUs) and on the sensors tab it only shows one GPU not something like GPU1 and GPU2

Still it isn't working in ArmAII for me and I've tried all the mentioned stuff in here. So any recommendations on how to find out that crossfire indeed works good on this system?

The easiest way to test it. Start the game with one card and when you do the flyby over the flight deck, what is your fps? When I didn't have 2 cards enabled it was a max of 42-44fps. Enabled it soared to 78-90fps. I then knew it was working. Plus, I ran armamark and alt tabbed to desktop and used the gpu-z and found that both cards worked at 99%. When I did it before, like I mentioned earlier, only one card was 99% the other was max 14% usage.

I also found that having Catalyst A.I. on high enabled crossfire. On low or nothing it didn't work. I set the flip queue to 3 because it gave me an additional 5-10fps in editor mode.

When in game I don't maintain these high frame rates, it hovers around 20fps with lots of A.I. and can max at 60fps with little to no action but gameplay is still fluid.

I do have a 4870X2 so maybe my settings will differ for a 2 card system such as yours.

I have a 3870x2 so my system should be the same as yours, not a 2 card system.

I already mentioned that I tried that stuff, what I meant was to ask if there is a way to check Crossfire outside of ArmAII? maybe a simple demo game which is know to have proper crossfire support. If crossfire doesn't kick in there I'll know it's my systems fault.

CFX kicked to ON with -winxp on my 3850X2@cat.9.6 no major graphic bugs appeared. fps improved to ~30 in forest or mid-size city on my C2D 3.1ghz/6gig/vista64. its notebook btw..)

Maybe you don't understand but you don't add 2GB + 2GB when you have videocards in Quad-Fire. It still remains as 2GB even in a Quad-Fire configuration and since applications cannot take advantage of 2GB on a single 4870 X2 they use 1GB.

Regarding Quad-Crossfire I'll see whether or not it is enabled and taking advantage of the profile with my Phenom II X4 955 BE secondary system.

Not sure what you mean 'don't understand'.

I understand that I have 4 GPU's with 4Gb of DDR5.

Nuff said.

How will you see if crossfire is enabled when you have an SLI system?

(Or have you to hand another super Rig with ATI quadfire)?

I have a 3870x2 so my system should be the same as yours, not a 2 card system.

I already mentioned that I tried that stuff, what I meant was to ask if there is a way to check Crossfire outside of ArmAII? maybe a simple demo game which is know to have proper crossfire support. If crossfire doesn't kick in there I'll know it's my systems fault.

I'm sorry I don't know how to check outside of Arma. I'm new to the crossfire thing. I had to fool around with it a bit and check the ati forums for tips.

Like I mentioned earlier though, I used ctrl+alt+del to desktop from in the game and using 2 running functions of gpu-z showed a 99% usage of both cards and therefore knew it was working. Before it was 99% and 14%.

Try checking the ati forums for more help and info is all I can really say to help you.

Good luck.

Okay thanks,

I downloaded the Bioshock Demo (not recommended as it's around 1,5GB) and crossfire worked right away in there.

So crossfire works on my system, I just don't get it working for AII just yet.

I will check the ati forum if I can find something that will help me.

Not sure what you mean 'don't understand'.

I understand that I have 4 GPU's with 4Gb of DDR5.

Nuff said.

How will you see if crossfire is enabled when you have an SLI system?

(Or have you to hand another super Rig with ATI quadfire)?

You don't add the amount of memory when you are running in CrossfireX or Quad-Fire. Therefore you only have 2GB but applications can only acess 1GB in reality.

RivaTuner/GPU-Z.

I can confirm that all four of my cores are working in crossfire.

I am using W7 64, arma2.exe and -winxp switch

I cured the light flickering issues by disabling the cat AI, although there seems to be a slight performance hit when doing this.

when you deactivate the Cat AI you kill the usage of CF.... soo your not running all four gpus, and the "strobe" that happens in ARMA2 from the cards syncing up in AFR isnt going to happen since you dont have full CFX... i use Crysis.exe and fear.exe so the strobe is not really dark to light. and it only strobes when you start a game or reset a setting in the games CP. it will settle down fast.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

You don't add the amount of memory when you are running in CrossfireX or Quad-Fire. Therefore you only have 2GB but applications can only acess 1GB in reality.

RivaTuner/GPU-Z.

i believe you can get 2GB of vidram to be useful.

I have a 4890 Crossfire and can not make it work on ARMA2.

I tried renaming .exe, adding -winxp modifier but nothing works.

I'll wait for updates.

Regards,

I have 2 4890's, win7 and 9.6 cats. Crossfire started working once i set A.I to Advanced in the CCC 3d settings and renamed my exe to crysis.exe. Used Gpu z to monitor sensor and the utilization for both cards was in 50-60 range.

I can confirm it's working now!

Executable renamed do crysis64.exe and -winxp added to command line! :yay:

60 fps steady! =]

Wont work for me... none of the suggested work arounds worked... guess i'll have to wait for ATI to sort the problem out.

:(

No joy for me yet. I have a q9550 with 4 gigs of ram and vista 32. My gcards are dual hd3870x2s. Nothing really seems to work. I hesitate to cast my vote, though, because I'm hoping this is a temporary rather than a permanent state of affairs.

Win 7 x64 and Cat 9.6:

With Catylst AI set to advanced and -winxp shortcut added crossfire works very well.

When renaming .exe to crysis.exe crossfire also worked but performance was terrible.

Okay this might be common known BUT I didn't know.

Just realised that I've not tested if it would work but it did.

CrossfireX does NOT work in windowed mode for winXP at least

When I removed the -windowed line from my startup it activated Crossfire

and gave me a huge boost. Too bad my system isn't really capable of having

full-screen games running, but that's another issue.