Sign in to follow this  
SlipperyJim

Arma 1 abandoned?

Now BIS are working on Arrowhead, seems to me that they are diverting resources to fix a broken game (A2), which we will eventually be asked to purchase.

1) see latest A1 News

2) I suggest you go read a bit over A2 forums to see how BI is working on it before saying such (wrong) things

CAA1 on ArmA2 looks very good. I still have ArmA1 and OFP still installed, and of course I still play them. Nothing can top OFP's gameplay.

Sorry Binkowski, but I had to quote you to prove a point!

And how is it any related to the "BI is abandoning A2 for OA as they abandoned A1" claims?

just search for a thread about caa 1 and look for yourself or simple try it if you havent yet

At some point, I will try it, Horror. Thanks

For now, I've given up playing Arma 2 and play Arma exclusively. The gameplay I experience in Arma 2 is simply...retarded - I can't find a better word. I'm not sure if the game is unbalanced or the AI is just too buggy to save their own ass.

At some point in the future, I'm sure I'll get back into it and I'll be sure to load up CAA 1 as I greatly prefer the environment of Arma 1.

It's a bit ironic - the concept of "abandoning" Arma 1. The gameplay is so rich I could play the game for the next five years and still be amazed at some of the stuff I'll find. For example, I just recently bumped into the Team Status Dialog script in a SimHQ mission. This has got to be one of the best mods ever released for Arma. I play alone with AI mates and it gives me the ability to manage all the soldiers on the map - not just the ones currently in my squad.

And there are still countless amazing missions that will take me years to get to.

Edited by DesertJedi

CM (Flashpoint) and BI (Arma) did their best to correct those issues in a timely manner.

Hahahaha, WAT?

CM did nothing for the after-sales support of original OFP aside from release some crappy mission expansion. You'll find that it was BI that drove the patching process, LONG after CM gave up and had moved on.

If you're refering to dragon rising, then you're still pretty wrong, as the new patch addresses none of the actual concerns the players had, but "fixes" a bunch of unimportant crap (scrolling through the "server" list, and chatboxes working at 800 x600...)

As I quote myself "Operation Flashpoint: CWC and Arma (1). Were both buggy from the start. CM (Flashpoint) and BI (Arma) did their best to correct those issues in a timely manner. I still play both game because of the same reason, STABILITY. Have you played the SP version of A2 without having some difficulty or another? Now BIS are working on Arrowhead, seems to me that they are diverting resources to fix a broken game (A2)

Now I never said ABANDONED, that was YOUR word, DO NOT MISQUOTE ME. I NEVER said they abandoned A1 either. Secondly, I quoted Binkowski because he had a point when he stated "Nothing can top OFP's gameplay."

Now before you engage your mouth (or fingers), engage your brain first, It works great on my 9 year old.

At no point in my post was I offensive, unless Ion is sensitive and has never heard the word Troll before. If he is offended, I apologize. You on the other hand are turning a valid discussion into something entirely different.

"BI are working on OA" => not on A1 or A2 anymore

"which we will eventually be asked to purchase" => you're talking about OA there

in other words : BI are diverting resource to make OA

Sorry if I'm actually reading what you wrote. And if that's not what you meant, clarification are needed (and not disdain through stupid "engage your brain" motto)

That said, I don't know where you got the idea CM engaged ANY resource to fix OFP, unless you're talking about DR, but I guess not.

In case you were not talking about BI working on OA instead of A2, your "argument" is very strange, doesn't make sense to me. You accept BI fixing OFP/ArmA1, but don't like them fixing A2? They are doing now what they already did with OFP/ArmA1

I never go for the latest games due to the fact that every game seems to take at least 3 years to perfect through numerous patches. That is why I am just starting on ArmA1 and will maybe start on ArmA2 3 years later.

Hi everybody

Armed Assault has not been abandoned by BIS here's the link for you guys .. . with something to read,

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=89728

BIS is going on with their tradition of patching an older release not withstanding the new title ( ArmA II ) has been out for some month now.

Best regards

nettrucker:D

Hi, someone should define what 'abandoned' means for him/her... they could do many things to make the A1 better asside of fix some more bugs and let it die booth in SP as in MP.

They could add, on the final patch things like more woodland soldiers, better sounds and allow us to use the A2 models on the A1 so we could have a SP zombie game; the words to anounce the last Beta patch were pretty clear as well as negative, and just as negative or probatory of how dead the game is... go to MP and check that below ping 100ms... i see six servers, two use the ACE mod and other two don't allow addons or replacements, so the game is dead. If you sume all that the conclusion is clear. Let's C ya

allow us to use the A2 models on the A1 so we could have a SP zombie game;

There is no Zombie Models in Arma 2 neither is there any Zombie Scripts :o

Hi, someone should define what 'abandoned' means for him/her... they could do many things to make the A1 better asside of fix some more bugs and let it die booth in SP as in MP.

They could add, on the final patch things like more woodland soldiers, better sounds and allow us to use the A2 models on the A1 so we could have a SP zombie game; the words to anounce the last Beta patch were pretty clear as well as negative, and just as negative or probatory of how dead the game is... go to MP and check that below ping 100ms... i see six servers, two use the ACE mod and other two don't allow addons or replacements, so the game is dead. If you sume all that the conclusion is clear. Let's C ya

Well we got to realize that the community moved on to the latest release which I personally find natural. Multiplayer might be pretty dead but I'm convinced that there will be still released some things for single player. There even community members who are creating content for the OFP. Time will tell.

regards

nettrucker:D

Grazie Mille nettrucker,

Too many people are focused on the latest and greatest. Some of you may not remember Harpoon or The Operational Art of War, but missions are still being created for those games. The difference is how fragmented our community has become. Some are MP only, some are SP only. Others, love mods while others do not.

Andiamo

Hi, i was meaning that this game (the Armed Assault) is like a zombie rightnow, is dead but

it still walks; with words from the developers like: "If you still have Arma 1 and have time

to test this latest version". Is more than obvious (at least) to me that the game has been

advandoned like the grandpa on the gas station and no one gonna go back to pick it up from

there, the game still admits lots of things, content and improvement, but once "we" reach

the conclusion that we better advandone it... then there's few more that we can do for

it other than wish it luck and drop it as a used clinex. Let's C ya

The difference is how fragmented our community has become. Some are MP only, some are SP only. Others, love mods while others do not.

Andiamo

Well this is ARMA, and it will be "fragmented". A huge and deep game that can be played in many many ways. BF2 and its likes doesnt get very "fragmented" because it is played 1 single way (ok some other like PR). But ARMA is a completelly other type of beast.

Could there be ways to make the MP scene more focused? Yeah i think so. Like easier ways of maintaining addons (auto download for example). But just as it is now it is bound to be different "camps" within our great community just because people have their preferences and because this game is so massive. :)

OnTopic:

I have kind of abandoned ArmA1. I still have it installed ofcourse and open it up sometimes for fun, but ARMA2 is set in stone over at my place now.

Kinda OffTopic again (sigh):

And the talk about OA shifting resources away from ARMA2 - this is old now guys. BIS already explained why it is NOT a bad thing for ARMA2. The guys that are DONE with ARMA2 like island makers/graphic artists/sound etc - they work with OA now. They have nothing or only small things to fix in ARMA2 so they are not taking time and efforts away from this game. And the juicy thing is that now when some of them work on OA and find new ways to improve the engine - they will implement them into ARMA2 as well. As they said: By making OA we learn new things about the engine that will be good for ARMA2 as well, and we will implement what we can into it (not a direct quote, but basically how it was said).

Ta ta.

It is a shame they killed Arma 1 with such poor support. Over 3 years of a split community between patches, and poor dedicated server support.

BIS killed Arma 1 so why on earth would we trust them with Arma 2 (or any future game for that matter).

Yes they released patches long after most companies drop support for a game but it took them 3 years to do what most developers do in a few months.

I finally reinstalled ARMA and was playing tonight, it was very active. Felt good to be back. Not enough servers running 1.17 though. :)

ArmA is dead now. BIs must go on. They should stick with arma2 only. We won't see new people in our community by fixing dead arma. Now it's arma2s time to kick ass.

^... I must agree... no amount of fixing can bring ArmA1 to where ArmA2 is now. On the other hand, ArmA2 requires really kick ass machines, so people with lower end machines would still find a good simulation with ArmA1.

ArmA2 runs good enough on my Celeron 3.06 Ghz so it's not a problem. but yeah, people with old machines will chose arma1 instead.

Both games run horribly...

Anyway, they should have abandoned ArmA1 the moment ArmA2 came out.