Sign in to follow this  
walker

Do You find ArmA Infinite Land Spooky?

Do You find ArmA II's Infinite Land Spooky?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Do You find ArmA II's Infinite Land Spooky?

• Yes
    • No

Can't wait till they add grass, trees and maybe some variation to the texture. The possibilities are infinite !

Why should infinite land or space be spooky?

Is walker only making an experiment to get a better academic PSI grade? :D

Should he or should we take the blue or the red pill?

I just installed last night and I am just now taking a break from the game, love it!

WTF?

lol

Ive been out there, but its quiet boring. Would be cool with some rendering of ...things. I mean you just have to look out to la la land from the edge and you know how infinity looks like. :)

I like the feeling of playing in endless chernarus. I seperates ArmA 2 from games like COD where you can easily reach the end of a level, but it made me several times angry not reaching the end after 10 minutes of flying... :D

Btw, think I found a little island in the south-east part of the map :D its like 15meters in diameter... And hell it were really spooky! :P

I dunno if the infinite land is spooky, but this topic is definitely funky :pet12:

Don't tell him but i'm concerned with Walker mental health...

Someone should fill it up with a bunch of Lovecraftian horrors. "The Shadow over Chernarus".

The ARMA II infinite terrain doesn't spook me in the slightest - And it certainly doesn't inspire any variety of profound thought. I don't know, I may be jaded when it comes to terrain in computergames. Atleast two weeks a year of not seeing anyone or anything but yourself and the surrounding wilderness might be the culprit.

Don't get it. It's terrain. What is spooky about it? It serves no other purpose than some visuals for fast overflyers. It's nothing there for infantry work.

i followed bigfoot to his bunker out there... tried to get a shot off but missed the git... but seriously, the infinite land is cool :D especially when your flying and you need to do a nice shallow turn say in the C-130 and if i tried to do it in BF2 it would kill my ass for being off the "playing field"

You weren't missing much, with the sandbox mod for bf2 the boundaries were removed and players could go anywhere they wanted..

The map continue for awhile but it ends in a sharp cut and then water, though if you want far enough you could actually walk around under water.

A sandbox mod for Arma2 would be interesting, have players able to spawn and rotate objects, animate them and build things... Though a jump button of some sort would be needed, I'd hate to get into the sky and just fall from a ledge... Aanyway thats enough of my OT post.

Is it really just a huge expanse of landmass with grass textures and nothing else? Like something surreal?

I think it's a psychological thing Carl, many people become unnerved at the thought of being in a place with absolutely no life and civilization, by that I mean even the lack of nature animals, it feels..otherworldly as they'd say.

i think im going to look there too? what is west again? =p i think im going to place enemy apcs and jeeps and send im in there too =D ( if its possible or is Destroy player waypoit enough for them to follwo me in to the infinite lands and beyond! btw if your lazy get a squad mate and let hime drive forward forever (if your squad leder and in vehicle it was possible i think)

Hi all

I did my first expedition to infinite land today two overflights and a landing and frankly found the experience spooky.

Has anyone else been there?

What is your experirnece of it?

Kind Regards walker

TBH for me it feels like a have teleported into a DeltaForce game.

TBH ... or back into a year 2004 in Novalogic's game Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising hosting up to 150 players without lag... and you were able to walk around in vehicles & return fire, drive up vehicles in chinook and crazy cool stuff like that ;) oh and get lost wondering off the map :)

yep, its 2009 now.

Spooky? With the right settings it looks like the peaceful moon surface. Northen forest is however spooky sometimes. Specially when you're expecting to meet Bigfoot :p

Someone should fill it up with a bunch of Lovecraftian horrors. "The Shadow over Chernarus".

Yes, and please include Dunwich!

Did a more proper delve into infinity tonight, I explored the coastlines and the inland for the duriation of an Mi-17's fuel tank. I still don't think it's spooky but I am more impressed now than before.

The coastline looks very realistic to me, very organic with large inlets and small islets that sometimes dot the coastline.

Another thing that I found really impressive were the inland "lakes" - They reminded me very much of the glacial lakes I usually hike around (minus glaciers ofcourse). All in all, the inland during this particular expedition reminded me a bit of the Swedish mountains, with a less dramatic landscape and ofcourse, no huge gatherings of rocks strewn about. It also felt very serene, and oddly enough, I never got furiously bored with the terrain, as I had expected to be.

Edited by GoOB

I find it spooky when suddenly i'm off the map and still travelling in the random terrain, i'll see how far out i get tonight before my brain £^#%$ up =)

I dont see why an infinite amount of virtual 'land' would be spooky.

Mhm yeah, heavy drug usage+Infinite land+Pink Floyd's Echoes may give some spooky effects. :p

After one axis of the grid exeed 999 it restarts from 000. So it's too difficult to orientate yourself out there.

Actually I reckon it would be a good idea if, you flew out of the so-called "play area" and entered a realm where anything could happen, for example said zombies, killer cows or chickens etc - or even going into random buildings decorated with pictures from "My Pictures" folder lol... that would creep me out!!!

Walker the very concept of infinite land that randomly generates with no aspects which can give the person experiencing it any bearings whatsoever - is indeed spooky and I think it taps into some kind of archetypal fear. It's like something out of a Stephen King novel.

I have no interest in experiencing it in-game, I mean it's a nice idea for overshoots etc but not for exploration - it actually becomes an exploration into our latent fears. Just reading this thread made me depressed thinking about it.

I needed to listen to some George Michael just to get myself back to reality

- simply

!

:p

Ah, but if the land is procedurally generated, then it should stay the same during your session - if you fly 100 miles North West and then 100 miles South East, you should return to an area you kind of recognise.

I wonder if the infinite area is the same for all players though, with the same random seed used to generate the landscape... all hills same height, all rivers going same direction... if it was, wonder if you could "populate" the area via scripting?

BTW, I think "Elite" was the first game that used procedural algorithms to generate entire galaxies and regions...