Sign in to follow this  
xeno

co30 DominationA2! One Team

Is there a readme or something on the web for Domination? I tried playing it with some friends today and we just couldn't figure out how you're actually expected to take over towns/objectives with a few infantry and literally no vehicle or artillery support of any kind. Everybody loves this mission, but how?

I'm sure I'm missing something.

Do the side missions, you unlock vehicles by doing hte easier side missions.

Also it says I'm an artillery coordinator/rescue or something like that. How do I do either of those things? Artillery would be very handy in this situation.

I find it quite difficult playing this with one or two friends, even the side missions. What's a good tactic?

Question, how can I make it so that instead of ranked removing a specific value of points (-5, -3 etc etc) I make it subtract a specific percentage of points? Such as -10% or what not?

score = (score * 0.95)

would take away 5%

Can someone help me find the script which contains coordinates of special objects, like the wreck repair zone, and the "invisible spawn protection shield thingy"? I want to change the coordinates to a new location. Thanks! :D

score = (score * 0.95)

would take away 5%

So.... like this?

// gets subtracted from your current score if you die (must be a negative value, only valid in the ranked version)
d_sub_kill_points  = (score * 0.95);

It's a sad day today for everyone in the ArmA2 Community...:mad:

This was posted at Dev-Heaven main site by Xeno:

Domination officially closed!

Added by Xeno 1 day ago

The Dom project is now closed.

After the constant bashing from various people in the BIS forums over the years I've lost my remaining motivation to continue.

It seems that respect is something which is lost in these times, specially respect for people who do all the work in their spare time for free

and try to improve the situation for others (and mostly for the public servers out there).

Thanks to all who liked Dom and thanks to all for making it the most played online mission (by far).

Seems that the gameplay was just what people were looking for

(and yes, it were you, the players, who formed it, and not a single person or group who think(s) his/their kind of gameplay is best)

Files section will stay open for some time.

Dom 4, while 98% done, won't make it into public.

Once the last public MP mission maker is gone you'll notice that you can't play addons.

It must really suck to do this much work for free and feel like no one in the ArmA Community cares. I may be out of line for posting this here but since it seems all the whiners here caused this... I'm hoping that Xeno will see how many more of us here appreciate his hard work. I'm hoping that this may hopefully influence Xeno to reconsider eliminating Domination series as I was really looking forward to his next Domination 4.

Xeno... I can't speak for anyone else but I truly appreciate everything you've done for the ArmA community... beyond just the Domination series. I really do hope you reconsider your decision which may be influenced by just a few bad apples here in this community. I'm sure many here will agree with me.

Fing cry babies. If you don't like the mission don' play it!!!!!! Stop bitching and make your own if seeing you know better.

Xeno I really don't want to see you stop working on Domination. This mission is the reason I got into scripting and editing in the first place. I do understand why as all the complaining about the mission is from people who don't contribute not one thing to the community wears thin on your nerves. It is up to the supporting part of the community to silence the haters. I you stop now they win and the rest of us lose.

You need any backup just send a PM or make a post to see who showes up. I know I will be by your side when the call goes out.

i don't want to see it go. by far it is my favorite gamemode... please don't stop just because of all the cry babies. if they don't like all the work you have done, that is their own loss.

Domination is awesome! Sure it has it's little bugs here and there, but that has never stopped me form playing every day! Great job Xeno! Wish you would reconsider. There is alot more support out here than you think!

Just recently had a chance to start gaming in ArmA2 with some friends

and we've got hooked with Domination mission (playing as one small team with AI's against AI).

Surely, it's one of the best things to find in ArmA2 world,

it is truly open to customizations and small tweaks and I guess every player can play it as realistically as he wants to.

I am not sure if ArmA2 as a game would be as much interesting for me without Dom.

It was a sad news to hear about closing further development of Domination,

and I would like to encourage Xeno to keep working on it,

but I guess he have strong reason dropping the project like that.

Anyways, let's thank him for the Domination & wish him the best of luck in any of the future projects (gaming-related or not) he would like to find himself in.

I am not sure if ArmA2 as a game would be as much interesting for me without Dom.

This game is still interesting, there are a lot of good mp missions out there.

Anyway, thank you Xeno.

So.... like this?

// gets subtracted from your current score if you die (must be a negative value, only valid in the ranked version)
d_sub_kill_points  = (score * 0.95);

No, because the d_sub is a modifier, not a sum. Find the bits of code where d_sub_kill_points is minused from the players score, then apply the multiplication instead of adding d_sub.

Well hopefully servers will keep playing on the latest version of domination and not switch to something like warfare, I have never really like warfare for some reason. If they do change to something else I hope it's not warfare otherwise i'm just sticking to ZL.

A real bumber though...

Look around and count the number of devs that have gone dark in the last few months. It's not just Xeno, a bunch of notables have stopped work.

A bunch of people seem to think that posting crap on BIF and Skype channels is harmless fun. They've turned the community forums into a stinking sewer.

A good dev can always find something else to do. So we go to better places to continue our work. :butbut:

This is, what, the third time Xeno has quit?

Domination is a wonderful way to play this game, easy to pickup, dynamic and expansive. It manages to cram much of what this engine can do into quite a compact package. Under the bonnet, there's much to learn from looking at the code.

He deserves much credit, but I wish he'd try to keep a balanced view of what players say. It's easily the most run mission on servers, it's massively popular with players and admins, yet one or two people say they don't like it and you'd think they've nuked the author's hometown. A tiny proportion of commentary about the mission is negative and the toys go straight out of the pram. Mind you, I'm sure there's a lot of private vilification we don't know about. I doubt that being awarded two prizes by BI that never actually arrived left a nice taste either.

From the little we saw of Domination 4, it certainly had promise, but Xeno is properly involved with ACE now and I'm sure that takes up a lot of time.

People who like Dom don't post on forums

They play it

By the count of players on servers and count of posts in forums, you know which is the biggest crowd.

Xeno going personnal with his creation? Sorry, but that's perfectly undestandable. It takes time to build this up, and unfounded criticism hurts, more than seeing his mission played is rewarding, as simple as that.

Yep, it's not just about a single or a few, but about years of that plus more.

One can be strong, but invincible I think not, we all have our boil/break point.

I fully understand and support it.

We all know the public internet is full of disrespect and trouble, yet BIF is a kind of home-base, where you expect/hope to be shielded from such malice.

And let's be fair, we're not talking about a 1 minute quick-editor-job mission here; the time, effort, love and dedication put in such projects is unmeasurable huge, but even if it was a quick-editor-job, respecting other people's free time and efforts should be central.

Becoming the community punching-bag when-ever someone's got a rough day can be painful.

Edited by Sickboy

You're deluding yourself, SB, if you think BIF is any different from the rest of the web. It's got worse in recent times, for sure, but that's the price we paid when we got an influx of new blood thanks to A2 and OA.

I know starting analogies can only go badly, but I think of it this way - Paul McCartney wouldn't have quit music if 8 people said the Beatles were shit. I do think Xeno is being a little thin skinned here.

IMO not comparable; paid profession versus free for fun community work (which doesn't mean i'm saying that getting paid is a wish or solution).

But, like you pointed out earlier, there's probably more to it than just a few posts.

Edited by Sickboy

Damn you. Another of my analogies shot down in flames! :)

So BIS makes a game that was more popular than the last, bunch of noobs roll around and kill the community.. OFP cant come out sooner so the noobs transfer over there.

You were a noob once. We all were. You've behaved badly on the internet. I have. We all have. It goes with the territory.

As experienced users, it's our role to guide and shape those noobs into fully fledged, contributing members of the community. Pissing and whinging about them doesn't help.

You were a noob once. We all were. You've behaved badly on the internet. I have. We all have. It goes with the territory.

As experienced users, it's our role to guide and shape those noobs into fully fledged, contributing members of the community. Pissing and whinging about them doesn't help.

Totaly agree with this 100%.

I thought this was an old read and that Dom was already dead in production. I didn't know Xeno came back, but to be honest I spend more time playing smaller missions anyway. The handful of times I played Domination though I loved it. It definitely beat the hell out of Evolution in my eyes (and it was easier on the server we have too). I completely understand why Xeno quit, I felt the same way with Doom 3 and again with GRAW years ago (and hardly do more than basic stuff since). Still, it's always sad to see something like this happen.

It was a good run Xeno, despite what some may have said you should be damn proud of what you accomplished with this mission.

EDIT: Where can I download Domination from officially? Every time I try to access it on DevHeaven it says I need to log in, but I do it says that I'm not authorized to view that page. Also, when I try looking for it under Projects it's not listed. Am I missing something here?

Edited by BOTA:49

Congratulations Xeno on a great run.

I have been away from arma for the past year. I came back to download my favorite mission, and its gone ") i would deeply appreciate if someone could post me a link for the latest build. As BOTA:49 has said the dev heaven links are gone.

Sorry Xeno you feel you have to leave again, thanks for the time you spent developing the code.

regards./