Sign in to follow this  
xeno

co30 DominationA2! One Team

WOW looking forward to this, especially the Side Missions Only and more Side Missions Total.

Well Done!! :)

Good work

Bug found here

Fly heli landed, built farp over it, then unloaded farp, got in and got stuck inside, couldnt get in or out and view froze, had to respawn...

Just reporting what I found.

Still rocks Xeno

Bug found here

Fly heli landed, built farp over it, then unloaded farp, got in and got stuck inside, couldnt get in or out and view froze, had to respawn...

Hm, sorry, can't reproduce. Get no freeze here.

(placement routine needs some love but it's ok for a first version)

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

am I missing something.

My chute never opens when I parajump

What am I doing wrong?

My chute never opens when I parajump

If nothing is wrong, you'll notice a growing bar on the top left of your screen, that's how much time the chute needs to open itself. You need more altitude to jump properly in ACE and avoid making a hole on the ground.

1. Does this mean they can't be taken out? If they can, where would I find the composition objects? The x_server/x_createmaintarget.sqf?

2. I've got notepad, but i have to open each file to search. Will WORD Do it?

3. Where should I put -showscripterrors? In the properties on start up?

1. I haven't studied this part of the code, as I haven't tried to change anything here - yet at least.

2. Notepad++ or UltraEdit which is what I'm using.

3. Target line of your game icon. Similar to how addons are (used to be) handled.

@Andersson[sWEC]:

They were problematic on slopes. I don't like their free ammo though, so I only use them for cover (prepped firing station) when I'm MG. When I'm SAW I never build.

@marc420:

Heh, I never noticed ghillies were out :p Points:

* Domination is a very sniper unfriendly game mode.

* Snipers would never wear a ghillie while attached to another unit (like they used to be earlier).

* Snipers increase the chance of FF incidents, upon which they complain like mad when they are running around like crazy in the middle of a hotzone.

* Ghillies have a purpose in the game, but not in this mission.

* There used to be too many snipers compared to grunts earlier. Too many snipers, and way too many "snipers".

So I support not having them. I have a two man sniper team (incl Ghillies), but they have some limitations to their role (like most do) to attract the right people to them. If you're concerned about the ghillie, I don't think you would like the limitations :p

@Xeno: Lovely... Just lovely. Looking forward to test it.

Hmmm..

Ive actually not USED one just built, and then find out E´s are out of range cause

i cant tilt the gun down anymore. But yes, unlimited ammo is not verry realistic.

5-8 200r boxes maybe..It is a NEST you could sure fit em.

If you guys are hosting your own modified versions, you might try changing the mg nests to Land_fortified_nest_small_EP1 which is named Bunker (small desert) in the editor. It's a small fortification building without any armament and you can deploy your bipod inside it if using ACE. Just remember to change _mg_nest setdir _dir_to_set; to _mg_nest setdir _dir_to_set -180; in x_client/x_mgnest.sqf if you do. I've done that and have found it to be very useful and versatile.

If nothing is wrong, you'll notice a growing bar on the top left of your screen, that's how much time the chute needs to open itself. You need more altitude to jump properly in ACE and avoid making a hole on the ground.

I noticed it says your supposed to hit esc to deploy the chute. Nothing happened. I also didnt notice that growing bar that you mention. Im not even wearing a backpack.

Maybe need a new version? im on 2.22

So whats the trick. even 2.4 and I still cant open a chute.

Do I have to add one prior to parajumping?

NVM.. IM an idiot.

Edited by SpecterM

@marc420:

Heh, I never noticed ghillies were out :p Points:

* Domination is a very sniper unfriendly game mode.

* Snipers would never wear a ghillie while attached to another unit (like they used to be earlier).

* Snipers increase the chance of FF incidents, upon which they complain like mad when they are running around like crazy in the middle of a hotzone.

* Ghillies have a purpose in the game, but not in this mission.

* There used to be too many snipers compared to grunts earlier. Too many snipers, and way too many "snipers".

So I support not having them. I have a two man sniper team (incl Ghillies), but they have some limitations to their role (like most do) to attract the right people to them. If you're concerned about the ghillie, I don't think you would like the limitations :p

I dissagree with you on the Ghillie suit, if i remember correctly, Domination in Arma2 the default setup consisted of 3 sniper spots, alpha bravo and charlie, bravo was a special forces section so that had the normal type outfit which left a total of 2 ghillie slots to play with. You are making it seem like servers where flooded with people in Ghillie suits from the above points. I also dont see how it caused problems with FF, i played arma2 for many many months in a very active clan and also randomly jumping into pub servers, never once in my entire time have i had someone type "OMG GHILLIE SUITS need nerf!! they look like enemy, now if someone cannot tell the difference from a friendly in a ghillie and a spotter from an enemy, they are playing the wrong game, this is after all a simulator is it not?

Another point you made was there just not designed for this mission, again i disagree, some of the best squads i have played with who focus on the side missions while publics and alike focus on main target, what we would do is move in with a spotter and a sniper, and laser designate all the armored stuff, then when it was only infantry left, we would do our thing with the rifle.

If snipers would never be attached to a squad in RL then maybe add a recon unit to the mission? i mean i dont currently own a server so i cant excatly just edit files and play it how i like, but i know a huge chunk of the community love to play recon and love the ghillie suit.

I'm not trying to sound harsh with my response, just dont agree with much of your logic is all.

Edited by mags

If you guys are hosting your own modified versions, you might try changing the mg nests to Land_fortified_nest_small_EP1 which is named Bunker (small desert) in the editor. It's a small fortification building without any armament and you can deploy your bipod inside it if using ACE. Just remember to change _mg_nest setdir _dir_to_set; to _mg_nest setdir _dir_to_set -180; in x_client/x_mgnest.sqf if you do. I've done that and have found it to be very useful and versatile.

Well in vanilla...

You should be able to place Nests on rather steep sloaps too..

Xeno, do you have a plan for this?

@Andersson[sWEC], Strikor, and Xeno:

I guess for ACE version the Bunker approach is better due to being able to rest the gun. But only in ACE :) I'm pretty sure that at some point there used to be empty MG nests, not sure where these went. I've tried a lot of objects for my version and found a sunken hesco wall to do the trick best. It's the only object that doesn't go bananas on slopes. I did try some terrain evaluating and setVectorUp tricks in the past, but I could never get it right. In Dominatrix/Arma1 pre ACE I dealt with the ammo problem by removing ammo from the nest based on how much ammo you had on you and removed your personal MG. When packed, MG and remaining ammo of the nest was created as a container and you had to pick it up. Any nest mag that was not full was removed, so it became something to consider. With ACE the ammo name changed and I didn't bother with it anymore.

Andersson[sWEC]:

Not sure what you mean with "Well in vanilla". The game, other missions, or older versions or the mission?

@SpecterM:

What was the problem?

@mags:

For someone actually roleplaying the sniper, I wouldn't have a problem. But for open public games that is not true in 90% of the games - the sniper is some assaultman in a ghillie. For closed games, feel free to change whatever parts you need. I myself is running with a marksman on bravo support (way different platoon setup though), with a two man ghillied up sniper team (sniper and spotter) on delta sniper team. Every role has its own weapon limitations, perks, and drawbacks, and you're basically forced into roleplaying - not "free for all" like vanilla, and team status dialog is removed, and extreme limitations on what weapons you can use (still unranked, I don't like ranked).

How do you tell the difference from a friendly in a ghillie and a spotter/sniper from an enemy? I've seen friendly TKs happen due to Ghillie suits. Again, I don't mind them, they just have a tendency to attract the wrong kinds of people to the role. All most want to do is "turkey shoot from a distance". But, anyone can do that - just grab a sniper rifle and blast away.

The Ghillie gives them unfortunate stealth bonuses, which are lost the moment you start shooting. The recon element is not all that useful in Domination - we know where the target is, it's fast as hell, and the times I've tried doing recon (not shooting) the target area is cleared by the time I reach my FFP/OP. Almost all targets will be on the move, and randomized, and target sizes are extremely small.

Any game mode that has a legit and working recon element, would typically be unsuited for general public games, as the pace is waaay too slow for the typical CoD players who enjoy Domination - and there are many still.

Ghillies are in Arma best suited for single HVT type missions or deep recon missions, where both elements are lacking in Domination. As they for the most part attract "the wrong people", I still say keep them off this gamemode. Anyone can change it anyways if they want to.

Btw, snipers can be attached to a squad, but they wouldn't be wearing a ghillie. The ghillie is put on at separation point. The suit is only a helpful tool, it's not what makes a sniper.

So, I still tend to disagree, at least for the public games.

You still missed my point:

Most public servers running domination dont "edit" the mission which means it has "3" sniper slots open at any one time - the bravo squad which i mentioned above, this leaves 2 ghillie suits for the entire map, hardly much.

It worked fine in Domination in Arma2, i dont know what public servers you play on, but i dont get why you are presuming 2 ghillie suits per default server is ruining domination in anyway and i also dont understand why your forceing the people who dont know or wish to edit the config files to not have the ghillie suit.

anyways it was fine in arma2 from what i seen, as i said, you must of played in public servers where the mission was edited and they had 18+ sniper slots created, i dont see how 2 is a mission killer, or even an itch to anyone else.

if anything random pilot noobs kill domination anyday yet i see i can freely jump into a blackhawk as a sniper in the current domination and fly it *the irony*

the ghillie suit hardly worked properly in Arma2 due to no grass in domination and stupid mechanics, this being said it was also a nice feeling when playing a sniper to have the outfit, now i can be an AT retard with an M107 in my backpack due to snipers not really being unique in anyway. If i want that type of rubish i jump onto Battlefield BC2. I really dont see how you relate CoD players to domination aswell.

I don't want to turn this into a big "my cock is bigger then yours" discussion i can see you have a large amount of posts and have been active and helpful to the folks here, i just dont see why its an issue to add it now when it was fine for everyone in Arma2. Never once was it mentioned as an issue when i was in GOL not once.

Edited by mags

discussion got me thinking about something.

is it possible to edit what certain classes may use as a weapon?

Like a marksman or sniper would only be allowed to chose between pistols and sniper rifles.

I also feel there is an overuse of the sniperrifles in OA.

Not an issue when you got serious players on domi, but most of the time there are guys that just want kills, they even don't care about using the mhq.

And don't get me started on the choppers, thank god for verification anf vehicle lock, solves a lot of problems. :)

awsome work Xeno just wanted to pop that out.

Cheer's ChefD

Edited by chefd261
solved original problem

@RT. Green Label:

Hehe, yeah, no kidding. Overused sniper weapons doesn't even begin to describe it :)

There is (was?) a switch for "limited_weapons" or something. With that you can put into array whatever each set of units are allowed to get. I'm not sure how well that is supported anymore. On ACE I don't think it was active at all. A couple of problems I'm having with this approach so I made my own system:

* Arrays are very picky. One mistake and you'll have a hard time figuring out what went wrong (hard to read, mistakes hard to spot).

* Hard to read and edit once you do (and I do it a lot) changes to the platoon setup. Making it easy to read and edit also means bigger scripts, so maybe that's why.

* Doesn't automatically support "ammo only in the field, no guns", and rewriting for this was not trivial even in Arma2. Especially in the later versions where the scripts are heavy on complex macros.

The latest beta may change things to the better I hope, as it allows admins to set the default params for each mission. That means they can setup Domination with strict rules for public gameplay, and loosen the rules when they play as a clan since they can control themselves better - public gamers unfortunately need more than guidance.

@mags:

Look, I'm really addressing the public gameplay only. Clans are usually perfectly able to make their own changes to suit. As for the CoD link:

CoD = Fast and Furious.

Domination = Fast and Furious (on public servers, well, most of the time).

As a GOL player, you should be able to see that. I'm pretty sure GOL (and other tactically oriented clans) went for a slightly different gameplay than what you typically see.

Btw, I was never content with ghillied up snipers on squad level in Arma2 either. There is nothing unique about the sniper either. He can carry M110 and Javelin if he wants to, while flying attach helicopters. If classes where truly unique (wrt weaponry and "job"), I would be fine with a sniper team with the platoon on its own, but that requires no reorganizing of teams. You don't have to have every class (or weapon even) in the mission, just because the game offers it. Nobody seems to be missing the officer/commander. But wait, he has a disadvantage, that must be it :)

No grass in Arma2? I've never seen that. But I have no issues with the "ghillie not working". Always worked for me. Observe and report for the most part. Then kill the HVT and get out. 1-3 shots, then evade.

now i can be an AT retard

Oh, so that's the issue. Everyone not being ghillied up are retards? Wow...

You want ghillie so that you can look nice, leaving everyone else retards because they look boring. Keep in mind a ghillie sniper can choose the same bad loadouts as everyone else, to me that indicates that the look is key.

I don't, because they are misplaced in the squad and have caused friendly fire in the past since they can't be recognized, and most of the players in that role don't have the brains to stay out of the hot zone.

We're not going to agree :)

The latest beta may change things to the better I hope, as it allows admins to set the default params for each mission. That means they can setup Domination with strict rules for public gameplay, and loosen the rules when they play as a clan since they can control themselves better - public gamers unfortunately need more than guidance.

Is that the patch that has been released a few days ago?

And how can i adjust the defaults with this patch?

tx gustave, i ll have a look at those arrays, maybe i can figure it out without to much hastle.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

is there a domination i can play in single player? or does xeno only allow them on MP still?

Try to put the domination mission in the 'missions' folder instead of 'MPmissions'

You should be able to load it in single player.

@Andersson[sWEC]:

Seems to be running the slope check "I made" (read: probably, "found" :)) for Arma1. So even if you was able to place the nest, you still wouldn't be able to aim downwards, as the placed items up vector will be pointing straight up instead of aligning with surface. Iirc the slope check was implemented to avoid having mg nests floating in the air some places. Now, this was back in Arma1, I haven't checked if the same behavior is still present, or if better placement scripts could be used. But I do see that the slope check method is now obsolete, there are better ways.

Just checked my own placed hesco; still straight up, and can be placed on slopes. But not steep ones, as they would most likely fall apart from their own weight and/or shear forces at significant slopes. Pluss, a chance to look ridiculous due to up vector. So if it works good in other missions, maybe the method of placement should be looked into.

Edit: Oooops, bigtime. Disregard, I'm using a different placement system. I have no idea how the system "behaves" in vanilla Domination.

@RT. Green Label:

You do it by setting up the mission cycle in server.cfg. Here is mine that worked. Keep in mind Xeno's bizarre 0 = true and 1 = false 'issue' :p

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)
class Missions
{
class DomiOA_Test
{
	template = "co30_Domination_2_24A2_West_OA.Takistan";	// omit the .pbo suffix
	difficulty = "veteran";	// difficulty: recruit, regular, veteran & expert as specified in 

*.Arma2profile
	class Params
	{
		d_LockArmored = 0; //Locked
		d_LockAir = 0; //Locked
		HALOJumpHeight = 5000;
		WithBackpack = 1; //Disabled, heavy exploit
		ArtiOperatorMaxDist = 1000;
		d_Terraindetail = 1;
		x_reload_time_factor = 10;
		d_with_mgnest = 1; //Disabled, heavy exploit
               };
};
};

@AussieSausage:

I think it might work if you put it under SPMissions, but I'd rather suggest de-pbo'ing it and running it straight from the editor. Not sure why anyone would want to run something like this in singleplayer though, unless you're editing it.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

discussion got me thinking about something.

is it possible to edit what certain classes may use as a weapon?

Like a marksman or sniper would only be allowed to chose between pistols and sniper rifles.

I also feel there is an overuse of the sniperrifles in OA.

Search the mission folder for limited weapons or weapons limited. Can't remeber which. :) That allows you to assign an allowed weapon classname for each unit. It does exactly what you want, provided you're prepared to put in thw rok to write the array.

believe me i am prepared to do that, only i need to start from scratch, never tried out the arrays yet.

at least now i know where to look, tx guys.

Sorry if this is mentioned already, havent read all 150 pages :)

I really like the domination servers (OA), the only thing that annoys me is that nobody (public servers) stick to their roles. Medics, machine gunners,etc I see running around with MAAWS that are ment for AT units, resulting that AT units are not being able to fully re-arm their missiles at base. And with that many people using missiles the AT units have nothing to do anymore when they arrive at a new ao, because the armor is already blown to pieces.

Is it possible to have it scripted in such a way that units other then AT units can not attch/use missiles?