Sign in to follow this  
xeno

co30 DominationA2! One Team

you got my vote :cool:

Mine too. Thanks fellas. :)

Voted. As a workaround, how about putting players "in jail" after respawn? Weapons and items will be given back after jail time. Indestructible jail structure you will teleport out of after given time. Maybe a possibility to start spectator script while waiting to lessen the boredom. Wentworth Miller should be automatically kicked though :D

No need to put them actually in a "jail" just use a camera and titeltext as timer.

But where would the player entity actually be during this time? I wouldn't want them to get killed again.

But where would the player entity actually be during this time? I wouldn't want them to get killed again.

Thats true, it probably a good idea to move them to somewhere safe. You could of course set them to not allow damage but moving them away is probably better :)

Like, a jail? :D A move to "boot hill" or whatever offbase location makes the client load the data in that location. I think it's better to have it onbase to prevent additional loading.

The things you are proposing here are pretty harsh. But I understand the desire to attempt to instill 'importance of life' into folks.. it's fairly tricky area. (specifically for a public game with popular map) But I hope the system is robust. And what if it wasn't their fault? (heli crash for example) Do they still get punished? If you do this, hopefully you'll check what killed the person and only punish if it was enemy AI.

In the past I have noticed people just leave when they get fed up with inane punishments. (something similar happened with Xeno's poor man revive punishment code in ace2.. man people whined about that.. and it was kind of mean, since there was no indication as to what happened) If it public, make sure people know what they are getting in to? Maybe a hintc would be suited after they join, to explain what happens if they die.

+1 on never using disableuserinput. That command shouldn't exist.

As far as the actual respawn mechanism, warfare BE has a dialog that appears after death+bis respawndelay which operates in an ideal way to facilitate this.

1 Death

2 BIS Respawn (to boot hill after like 3 sec, short respawn timelimit) After that, run your code.

3 Show intermission dialog. (would be nice if you show something interesting, like a high camera of the town being attacked instead of a black screen... may prevent people from getting frustrated and quitting) Loading doesn't really matter because the people have no choice and cant move. :D

4 When punishment elapsed, setpos player to base or wherever.

Remember that very likely you will not be able to anticipate every single instance of how a person operates the game, and may end up inadvertently punishing innocent players, to which they will become very frustrated at.

I come from the no-respawn OFP camp. But things have changed over 8 years.. especially with JIP.. for good and bad. Definitely less patience from the pubbers these days.

I voted too, hopefully it gets added.

Good luck.

Edited by oktane
qualified poor mans revive, argh tired

FFS...

1: Its a game.

2: Its a WAR game.

3: PPL get killed in wars.

The revive is punishment enough in my book. The respawn to Base or

MHQ is a plus..But you loose your lifes if done. I for sure will NOT play

the mission were i cant do either or if i spawn at base, i get thrown in

jail..Stupid idea..

And what if it wasn't their fault? (heli crash for example) Do they still get punished? If you do this, hopefully you'll check what killed the person and only punish if it was enemy AI.

Yeah, it's a tough one this. I hope to be able to not have the punishment if the player was teamkilled. As I'm sure you know, by a happy coincidence, passengers in a destroyed vehicle are adjudged to have been killed by the driver of the vehicle, so those would escape this.

In the past I have noticed people just leave when they get fed up with inane punishments. (something similar happened with Xeno's poor man revive punishment code in ace2.. man people whined about that.. and it was kind of mean, since there was no indication as to what happened) If it public, make sure people know what they are getting in to? Maybe a hintc would be suited after they join, to explain what happens if they die.

This is in the event that I'm running advertised in my sig. A lot of the players are asking for harsher death penalties because we have a great squad/battalion ethic going (over the course of 10 hours of play so far, a number of players have died less than 5 times). It's this ethic that protects the MHQ and your teammates that means few deaths and we're keen to promote that even further. A few players are throwing their lives in the pursuit of score and are playing in a way some would consider rash and I want to curb that. I'll be briefing both ingame and in the pregame literature what's going to happen.

+1 on never using disableuserinput. That command shouldn't exist.

Roger that.

As far as the actual respawn mechanism, warfare BE has a dialog that appears after death+bis respawndelay which operates in an ideal way to facilitate this.

1 Death

2 BIS Respawn (to boot hill after like 3 sec, short respawn timelimit) After that, run your code.

3 Show intermission dialog. (would be nice if you show something interesting, like a high camera of the town being attacked instead of a black screen... may prevent people from getting frustrated and quitting) Loading doesn't really matter because the people have no choice and cant move. :D

4 When punishment elapsed, setpos player to base or wherever.

This is exactly what I intend to to. Inbuilt respawn is very short and non-teamkilled players are moved to a jail. Each time they go there, the time they will spend there is increase by x seconds.

Rock already has a building suitable in his library that he said he will adapt for me -thanks T! :)

I won't have a dialogue, designing them is like pulling teeth. I'll just put the player in the jail for a while. If a player quits during their jail time, they'll be put straight back there on reconnect.

;1650207']The revive is punishment enough in my book. The respawn to Base or

the mission were i cant do either or if i spawn at base' date=' i get thrown in

jail..Stupid idea..[/quote']

Respawn dialog comes up after "jail time", and you'll be able to respawn anywhere you like. I'm obviously a fan of respawn games versus hardcore games. The "jail" puts the mark somewhere between the two extremes. Revive might have to be rebalanced, who knows. I'm mostly concerned with how there is absolutely no punishment when revive is not used, and there is no bonus to trying to stay alive.

And yes, consideration should be taken to maybe only affect when killed by enemy fire. Timer could be variable. Say from 20 seconds to i.e. 300 seconds (5 minutes). Every time you are killed, the timer doubles or adds another 20. But, it will decrease with time if you stay alive. Team killers would double or quadruple their timer. The one getting TK'ed on the other hand, could get a bonus, either instant or halfed timer.

Basically, staying alive should be rewarding. For those who doesn't even try to stay alive (which is who is causing the problem in the first place), they will be punished for it. At the same time, since timer decreases, it allows for accidents to happen (which they do).

And this whole thing is only a problem because we get both instant respawn and instant relocation. I don't mind that, in fact I like it a lot. Unfortunately it has proven quite destructive to common sense gameplay.

If you actively seek out to die as fast as possible, then sure, I see why you wouldn't like this. If you're not, then you shouldn't have a problem with it.

A lot of the players are asking for harsher death penalties

Hehe, loved the way that sounded :D

Edited by CarlGustaffa

;1650207']Stupid idea..

Awesome attitude dude' date=' glad to have you as a part of the ArmA community! :D

Nobody is forcing you to play it. It's a custom map they made for a magazine event and tournament, with prizes and such. Their map, their event & rules. Those that complain about the rules/gameplay design which enforces realistic and challenging play should probably just play somewhere else.

The reasons you provide actually seem to [i']support[/i] respawn punishment. :D

Edited by oktane

;1650207']FFS...

3: PPL get killed in wars.

The revive is punishment enough in my book. The respawn to Base or

the mission were i cant do either or if i spawn at base' date=' i get thrown in

jail..Stupid idea..[/quote']

Maybe read a few pages back it seems you missunderstood what we were talking about.

Everytime a player dies tankbuster want to increase it's respawn timer a bit as a punishment for dieing and specially dieing a lot.

So your not put in a jail but your prompted with a dialog like in revive script with a timer telling you when you can respawn again.

Example:

1st time you die: respawn wait = 10

2nd time you die: respawn wait = 20

3rd time you die: respawn wait = 30

etc. etc.

Yeah, that's it, JW.

I'm not using the revive version by the way, not because I dislike it, I'm sure that it adds another element to the teamwork but because I've never used it before - the clan edit that this mission grew from was only intended for 6 players, where revive isn't workable.

And yes, consideration should be taken to maybe only affect when killed by enemy fire. Timer could be variable. Say from 20 seconds to i.e. 300 seconds (5 minutes). Every time you are killed, the timer doubles or adds another 20. But, it will decrease with time if you stay alive. Team killers would double or quadruple their timer. The one getting TK'ed on the other hand, could get a bonus, either instant or halfed timer.[/Quote]

RE: TK's, I wonder if there's a bit of code floating around that detects accidental TK's (vehicle crashes) vs seemingly intentional. (bullets)

The reward for not dying is simple, you get to play. :)

Exponential increases are a bit much though. (doubling) Just because it grows so fast. I am just afraid that your dragnet will get someone who wasn't doing anything wrong and he'll get some massive punishment for it.

If it decays with time, a person could just idle to bring it down again. (go get some tacos, leave arma running :)) May not be a good idea for someone to get a bonus for being TK'd.. maybe just 'exempt' him from the delay when he respawns. (perhaps someone would abuse that? dunno)

No need for a dialog(although it does help by stopping user input), I was just integrating that explanation with the warfare dialog instance.. (it shows the map to pick respawn and the view is blurred red) Instead you could just show a camera over the target town, and a titletext or hint that counts down the # of seconds left.

There have been a few times in this thread where we have talked about mission design forcing players to play a certain way. Ultimately, the best solution imo was always to have disciplined people with self-restraint.. they don't want to use the arcady warp/respawn features. But they do use them if something went wrong (heli crash), to regroup with others, or just as needed.. always sparingly however.

Are you keeping track of the scores for the contest?

If you were, maybe you could consider the 'death' count to factor in as a part of the final score?

This is some chunks of old code, and it won't work as is. (missing parts, needs town vars to be updated for the new domi, etc) But the general jist is that it would try to find a friendly player closest to the center in the current target town and slowly zooms in on him, hopefully he is battling it out and makes for a good show. If it can't find a player, it just uses the town.

_use_town = false;
_closestplayer = objNull;

waitUntil {!isNil "current_target_index"};
waitUntil {current_target_index != -1};
_dummy = target_names select current_target_index;
_current_target_pos = _dummy select 0;
_current_target_radius = _dummy select 2;
_mindistance = _current_target_radius;
{
	if (isPlayer _x && alive _x) then {
		_ply_dist = _current_target_pos distance _x;
		if (_ply_dist < _mindistance) then {
			_mindistance = _ply_dist;
			_closestplayer = _x;
		};
	};
} foreach nearestObjects [_current_target_pos, ["Car","Tank","Man","StaticWeapon"], _current_target_radius];
if (!isNull _closestplayer) then {
	_use_town = true;
	_camstart = "HeliHEmpty" createvehiclelocal [0,0,0];
	_camstart setdir round(random 360);
	_dir = round(random 360);
	_x = (_current_target_pos select 0)+((_current_target_radius + 300) * sin(_dir));
	_y = (_current_target_pos select 1)+((_current_target_radius + 300) * cos(_dir));
	_camstart setpos [_x, _y, 0];

_camend = "HeliHEmpty" createvehicleLocal [0,0,0];
	_camend setdir round(random 360);
	_camend setpos _current_target_pos;
};
_camera = "camera" camCreate [(position _camstart select 0), (position _camstart select 1) + 1, 120];

_camera camSetTarget [(position _camend select 0), (position _camend select 1) + 1, 20];
_camera camSetFov 0.7;
_camera cameraEffect ["INTERNAL", "Back"];
_camera camCommit 1;
waitUntil {camCommitted _camera};
if (_use_town) then {
_camera camSetTarget _closestplayer;
} else {
_camera camSetTarget player;
};
_camera camSetPos [(position _camend select 0), (position _camend select 1) + 1, 8];
_camera camCommit _whatever_delay_you_want;
sleep 10;
cutText ["","BLACK OUT"];
waitUntil {camCommitted _camera};
player cameraEffect ["terminate","back"];
camDestroy _camera;

Perhaps the delay should be simplified. It should be the inverse of the time the player has been alive since last spawn. My schoolboy maths can't give me a formula, but for example;

A player who has been alive for 600 secs should be delayed for a short while, say 6 secs

A player who has been alive for 60 secs should be delayed for much longer, say 30 secs.

A player who has been alive for 6 secs should even more, say 60 secs.

;1650207']FFS...

3: PPL get killed in wars...

+100

Complexity its well. It is very well. :)

But - without fanaticism.

PS. 2.11 - cool version' date=' respect.

PPS. Side-mission of Ñ…-m3 ("enhanced tank version at Pobeda-Damm") is impossible to execute as well as earlier.... IMHO - master Xeno has forget to change is resulted "object on base" on "object its destroyed".

Edited by Varga

RE: TK's, I wonder if there's a bit of code floating around that detects accidental TK's (vehicle crashes) vs seemingly intentional. (bullets)

Such code doesn't exist as it is simply to unsafe. It could pick up the wrong player. The engine itself doesn't return the killer in those cases (it was asked for multiple times, but nothing has changed yet).

It's the same as if a blackhawk gunner kills other friendly players, the pilot gets the TKs.

In DomiA2 2.xx there's a counter which saves teamkills per player (on the server). Once a player has reached a specific number of teamkills (the number can be changed in the lobby) he gets kicked from the server automatically, no admin needed.

As soon as he reconnects and does another TK, well immediate kick.

A logged in admin can reset the TK number to zero for a player again (means only a logged in admin and not a voted admin).

This helps public servers at least a little bit (I hope).

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

Xeno

Never did get the above to work!

Maybe I do somthing wrong!

Xeno

You plan to add to DominationA2! (ACE) One more Team Navy SEALs ? :) Last night I played in DominationA2! ACE R West map) and Admin changed!! (not added!) changed! the soldiers US Army to Navy SEALs soldiers! As a result!!! Ammo Box in base and call drop East! not West :shrug::scratchchin: and little small errors.

If you do not plan to add Navy SEALs team to DominationA2! ACE map :( You can write as correctly it can add or change :rolleyes:

If you do not plan to add Navy SEALs team to DominationA2! ACE map :( You can write as correctly it can add or change :rolleyes:

I haven't made a version with the Seals nor do I plan to make one.

Ammo boxes do not work because of the missing Seals faction in Dom. The ammobox code uses the faction to determine the side of the player.

Xeno

Removed!

Xeno

Edited by Xeno

I would have if it only supported Opera.

google chrome ftw :)

Xeno