Sign in to follow this  
xisco

Friendly identification

Friendly identification i suggest here. In reallife, near mates are easy to identify bt voice, shape, uniform gear, names in the back, the face..Just when you play in expert mode u cant see the names of your team mates, this usually causes a lot of confusion situations where u need to ask with who you re behind the rock because you cant recognize him. Thats unrealistic, and i think it need to be improved. i have some suggestions.

Friendly id key by distance: u can have a key to fr. id. for example ppl in sight 10 meters around you, can show up his name.

Uniform clues. is very dificult to identify fof in uniform clues. maybe having possibility to put names in the back or light color stripes (like some combat units) are good to identify which one is at your side.

cheers!

Remember it is suppose to be at least somewhat realistic - IRL at long ranges without binoculars it can get difficult to tell the difference between friend or foe if you don't communicate and know exactly where your entire team is going.

Remember it is suppose to be at least somewhat realistic - IRL at long ranges without binoculars it can get difficult to tell the difference between friend or foe if you don't communicate and know exactly where your entire team is going.

I don't think he means a friend or foe identification. I think he means Jim or James kind of thing. In real life one would recognise one's buddy on seeing their face, in game this isn't so easy.

I don't think he means a friend or foe identification. I think he means Jim or James kind of thing. In real life one would recognise one's buddy on seeing their face, in game this isn't so easy.

Nope, we at Armed Tactics use our real life faces in arma... and it works great... we can identifie each other in seconds

yes. use real faces is an option, but not every one has the knowledge to make textures. And even that, in rl u re aloud to identify ppl even if u dont see his face. i think there need to be another solution.

Actually if you don't see a soldier's face it's very hard to tell who he is when he's in full combat gear (other than telling based on the actual gear of course). If everyone use the same standard helmet cover it's even harder. Not to mention at night...

is for that they have, names in the helmets, or names in the back or color stripers,

Actually if you don't see a soldier's face it's very hard to tell who he is when he's in full combat gear (other than telling based on the actual gear of course). If everyone use the same standard helmet cover it's even harder. Not to mention at night...

I've been ruck marching in the pitch black but I can tell who other cadets are from a few feet away just by the way they walk and their shapes.

Yeah I agree from VERY close you should sometimes be able to tell the difference based on very subtle differences like body figure and the way they walk. But anything more than a few feet and you can forget it unless they have some more distinctive "features", such carrying different gear.

I do think having a name show up when you're <5~10 meters from someone is very reasonable.

Yeah, I thought that is what we were talking about. If the squad is in a standard formation with average distance (5-10 meters maybe?) it should be pretty easy to tell who is who.

yes!. that is. for me is very frustrating run behind someone and just after figureout my fire-mate is in the other corner. :P

I'm hoping that XML text info such as name can be displayed on the soldier model. This was done in ArmA1 with Squad Name on the 5TonTruck, so it's definately possible.

as far as i remember that text was barely visible in arma 1

This is quite important thing in public servers that try to have serious team play on hard difficulty level. It is important to be able to recognize who's fooling around and ruining the game and need to be kicked/banned. Lack of this function prevents hosting serious public co-op servers because administrator needs to be able to know who is who.

So basically showing of player names should be enabled on all difficulty levels (or at least there should be option to turn it on/off).