Sign in to follow this  
DiFool

Red dot sights - how they should look like

Just a suggestion to all addon makers (and bis): what's been most annoying in Arma and now Arma2 are the unrealistic ret dot sights (aimpoint, cobra,..). If you look through such a sight (1x zoom) with both eyes open, you can see just a red dot in the landscape over your weapon. Maybe plus a ringshaped shadow. The game optics just cover too much. Where is the advantage over the open sights gone then?

Red dot sights are for CQB as they block less of your view. i think :/

one cannot properly implement parallax sights into a game. in reality you just place the dot on target and fire with out having to line up the front and rear sights, but since you dont do that in game, its advantage is lost

They have better fov and can be seen at night. that's about their usefulness in game

Could parallax mapping not do this? Since it hasn't been done on the BIS sights in the game I would guess there is some problem with doing that. Maybe it doesn't work on transparent textures.

Could parallax mapping not do this? Since it hasn't been done on the BIS sights in the game I would guess there is some problem with doing that. Maybe it doesn't work on transparent textures.

You can do transparent .paa pictures (that's how the sights work).

Baconbomb made a weapon making tutorial for OFP. It's no longer available though.

Edited by DiFool

the devs explained in an earlier thread about reflex optics that they are possible in game, and they were planned, but they kept encountering errors and problems (the "alpha bug" or something), and im guessing removed them because the amount of work needed to get them working error free did not offset the small aesthetic upgrade

yep...the everpresent "alpha bug" is a showstopper - though I have not yet tried the concept in A2, I have a feeling its going to be the same.

With Aimpoints weapon pack for Arma1 I had no problems whatsoever on my ATI card. Too bad other people are affected by this alpha bug, as parallax free sights would be an awesome addition, both for the sights and aircraft HUD.

With Aimpoints weapon pack for Arma1 I had no problems whatsoever on my ATI card. Too bad other people are affected by this alpha bug, as parallax free sights would be an awesome addition, both for the sights and aircraft HUD.

Are you sure? On my ATI cards, they all had a tube cutting through vehicles.

I definitely had no problems on my old hd2900pro, but I've not yet tried them on my new ati 4890. I did, however, encounter this bug in some of the other parallax free mods. That might be a little weird, as I think they're using the same method ?

I wish they would include it as something you have to use a command line to enable. So the majority whos computers it works on, and are nerdy enough to wish for it, could enable the paralax free sights. Just a small wish from me.

I just tried Aimpoints pack on my ATI 4890, and it works flawlessly there too. No rays at all, and I really tried to spot them.

Sk3pt, the point is that the alpha cone creates show-stopper bugs for a significant group of people. This is why I removed it from ACE weapons.

I don't have the problem either (ATI 4850), and yes, I'd love to have a pseudo-parallax effect in ArmA since I have TrackIR but no, I'm not selfish enough to keep this bugged method.

I've not seen somebody come up with a solution that works for everybody, so I'd prefer err on the side of caution, since the utility of parallax in ArmA is minimal and most useful for those with TIR.

Did you tried first person view inside vehicles as well?

Apparently not. :eek: I did now, and I got :

a tube cutting through vehicles.

:nuts:

edit: but that's the only bug in this awesome mod.

Edited by sk3pt

Did you tried first person view inside vehicles as well?

?I fixed this like 6 months ago, sent you the working version without any clipping bugs but I never heard from you again. Did you even recieve it?

edit:

Edited by Sakura_Chan

the problem is still that it only works on some machine, if one player's machine choose not to like that "shield" infront, they are going to see it quite clearly

I had someone test it out on their computer that had the previous alpha bug, and with a binerized addon the bug was gone.

quote:

Been using it about an hour, varied time of day and NVIDIA drivers. There is none of the previous problems with sight shining through. No other problems sighted either. performance is no different from other weapons.

specs:

Abit IP35-E Socket 775

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6850 3.00GHz 4MB CACHE

Gainward GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3, PCI-Express,

Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5 Kit w/two matched CM2X1024A-6400 Dimm's

I had someone test it out on their computer that had the previous alpha bug, and with a binerized addon the bug was gone.

How about releasing it publicly so we can see if it works fine for everyone? That should also get some more interest in it.

Although I still don't get why parallax maps can't be used for this in ArmA 2.

so by binerizing the addon the problem of the alpha bug is gone?

thats a news to me

like maddmatt above, how about releasing it as a "prove of concept" beta addon? if copyright is not an issus

How about releasing it publicly so we can see if it works fine for everyone? That should also get some more interest in it.

Indeed! Massive public bug-testing is the best testing there is. Would be truly awesome if one of the methods do work in ArmA2, but I'm not having too high hopes. :(

?I fixed this like 6 months ago, sent you the working version without any clipping bugs but I never heard from you again. Did you even recieve it?

Yes I recieved it,but I didn't used for some reasons,maybe in Arma 2 we will have more and better options..anyway I appreciated the help Sakura.

Indeed,why not!!

Test it Alpha Bug Test in A2 I'm not 100% sure if the config is correct,don't have Arma 2.

BTW Would be interesting to know how the parallax maps could be used for that,is new stuff for me.:)

EDIT: Class name AMP_A2TEST

Edited by AimPoint

I tested this on my A1 SCARs in A2 and I didn't experience a problem. Still, I think A2 will suffer from the same problem as A1 for some individuals. The only thing changed is that instead of using an alpha "cone", his method uses an alpha "plane" - which will result in the same exact alpha bugs for some individuals (i.e., they will see the EOTech ret floating in space, out in front of the weapon).

Edited by scubaman3D