Sign in to follow this  
WarProph3t

"Play with up to 50 players online..."

I'm sorry if this is old news, but I just watched the official launch video and I'm pretty sure I heard that right.

50?

Only 50?

Somebody please correct me because right now I'm very depressed.

You're depressed? Wow, you need to rethink your priorities in life.

Anyway. To ease you state of mind.

I'm pretty sure you can play with more than 50 players. I've seen people mentioning 100+ player servers.

I'm sorry if this is old news, but I just watched the official launch video and I'm pretty sure I heard that right.

50?

Only 50?

Somebody please correct me because right now I'm very depressed.

im sure its posted elsewhere and could be found with a search.

There is no hard coded limit. At IC-ArmA we played with 128 people in the server and regularly played with 100 for 3hrs. 50 is only how much it is 'supported' by BIS for.

Those were ArmA 1.

IC-ArmA was ArmA 1.

Why would they say ArmA 2 only 50?

Arma 1 only had up to 50players officially supported as well, if i remember correctly.

Those were ArmA 1.

IC-ArmA was ArmA 1.

Why would they say ArmA 2 only 50?

I've seen Arma2 games already with over 50 players. It's just the number a normal server is expected to achieve. Anything above needs some serious hardware and might not be stable. No worries.

50 is simply a "safe" number picked which allows for servers running on average configurations with gamers using average internet connections, as anyone who's followed the history of our games know they're easily opened up to far higher numbers than the quoted 50, anyone remember the current record for a coop? The problem is the higher you go in numbers, the higher spec the server needs, the higher quality internet connections the users need, else the majority start getting issues which negatively influences their overall multiplayer experience.

anyone remember the current record for a coop?

Been mentioned before in this thread actually but I think the record is held by IC-Arma at 128 players on 1 server. Which is cool.

Hmm maybe my advanced years are making me remember wrongly but I don't think that's the record, wasn't it like 178 or something? Not sure how playable it was but that number stayed connected for minimum 5 mins :)

Hmm maybe my advanced years are making me remember wrongly but I don't think that's the record, wasn't it like 178 or something? Not sure how playable it was but that number stayed connected for minimum 5 mins :)

could have been 178, but i never heard of it. IC was 128 for 3h straight.

Anyways, there is no restriction server side or mission side as to how many slots you can have open. 50 players written on AA1 box as well, but that just means what the expected highest number is expected to be.

So relax your cheeks

Edited by PuFu

I don't do anything on the development team :)