Sign in to follow this  
dvolk

Limited installs?

I like the idea of online activation to make sure that our keys are matching theirs. With digital download you can re-distribute the package and give your key to someone else. How can they distinguish if it was you re-installing the game for the second time or you have illegally distributed the package and gave the key away?!

I like the idea of online activation to make sure that our keys are matching theirs. With digital download you can re-distribute the package and give your key to someone else. How can they distinguish if it was you re-installing the game for the second time or you have illegally distributed the package and gave the key away?!

They can't, which is why it doesn't work as a good DRM. By trying to stop the pirates (who will honestly just find a way anyway), they stop legal players from having fun. Sure you might not need to use up your 3 installs, but what happens if you upgrade once, get a deadly virus another time, and also want to play from work? That's 4 installations, all for legal purposes. Yet to do those kinds of stuff you have to beg for the support to let you activate it more times or buy the game you already own again. All this while the pirates play happily with no DRM.

better to get the none drm version and just using your legit CD key. that should work and best of both worlds

better to get the none drm version and just using your legit CD key. that should work and best of both worlds

Yeah, if we could only get official confirmation of that working properly, which we probably never will for obvious reasons. I see no reason for it not to work, though, but you never know.

The only complaints about activation limits so far are from the digital download version, so I guess you're good. The Morphicon version, for example, is just DVD check.

It's the same thing with 505 DVD version. I installed it offline. No need to activate securom. :)

Box version doesn't have limited installs, as for digital versions that's a question that we cannot answer, the only people who can answer that are the specific publisher for the specific digital download version you have an issue with.

Discussing copy protections and such is not acceptable on these forums as per the forum rules.