Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

AI Dispersion Increased for more Immersion

MadRussian

Dispersion is diameter of the dispersion circle in radians. So 'dispersion = 0.001' means 1 miliradian or 1 mil, which is 10 cm at 100 m. When prone, your dispersion becomes twice lower than the config value (at least it did in Arma, so needs confirmation). So the prone dispersion might be considered the true weapon's dispersion, while the standing/crouching one has a 'human factor' built into it.

As far as your experiment with dispersion = 0.5, it's probably capped in the engine to a sensible level.

I just ran a quick test and lobbed about 100 grenades from a moddified M203 launcher (with dispersion set to 0.05). Based on your info, I set up a target exactly 100m away and placed two cones exactly 5m apart staggering the target. While standing, I carefully lobed all those grenades directly at the target, and indeed they all passed inside the zone, and some right up against the imaginary "field goal posts" (i.e. directly up from the cones).

In short, everything worked like a charm. Thank you so much Q1184 for finally cracking this mystery for me! My dynamic dispersion mod just got simplified many fold. :)

@All

Another quick question. Q1184 also mentioned different stances treating dispersion at modified amounts. Anyone know where this is defined in the config?

"The Army wanted a rifle that would significantly improve the average soldier's ability to hit the target under battlefield conditions, or at least to double the number of hits per trigger pull. With the M16A2 the probability of a battlefield hit is 20 percent at 100 meters, 10 percent at 300 meters, and 5 percent at 600 meters."

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/acr.htm

The ai, and indeed the player too, seem to be rifle range accurate under battle stress conditions leading to the brutally short firefights we see in arma. The ai accuracy can be fudged somewhat, but how to stop the player then being the lazer accurate robocop without making it annoying isn't an easy problem.

From looking at the dates I have noticed that these posts are pretty old and I am wondering if any work is still being done on the AI dispersition? Or for that matter any new updates or mods that have come out for AI dispersition?

Well, you could try out this one : RUG HD. Although it might not be quite what you're looking for, it IS the only old-school HD mod I know of in Arma 2 :p

Regards,

Wolfrug

Well, you could try out this one : RUG HD. Although it might not be quite what you're looking for, it IS the only old-school HD mod I know of in Arma 2 :p

Regards,

Wolfrug

Wow thanks that was really cool of you i will definitely check that out. :D:)