dslyecxi

Dslyecxi's ArmA2 Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures Guide Published

It's not a statement about the guide as much as it is a statement about the missions people currently make. The whole die->respawn->get back to the action ASAP->kill->die cycle changes the entire tactical approach by quite a bit. I agree it doesn't nullify the entire guide, but it does nullify major portions of it.

When 1/2 your squad dies and respawns and starts heading back to the fight, any kind of unit structure you had breaks. Not to mention when the respawn points are mobile.

When getting back into the action ASAP is critical for the mission's success, most of the "how to not get shot" advice go out the window as well, as it's better off to risk ending up respawning again than to take it slow and by the time you get to where you were going you're already 100 points behind.

I want to play missions where RL tactics are 100% (or even 50%) useful, but I've yet to see any on a server even if you're playing with people you know. The guide is great, it's the missions that don't fit it.

I agree, there are section of the guide that are too specific to their clan and too be honest, slightly obtuse..A guide such as this needs to be more general - large sections of it are great but the vast majority of people who read it simply are not going to play as serious as that.

I still am bowled over by the work you did Dslyescxi...

If you don't play on a company-level mission you don't have to read that section ;

The problem is that with current missions, even the fireteam section is rather irrelevant even if the mission is a 30 player mission. Simply due to respawns and other design issues.

Your comments seem to be that people on pub servers do not play the game "with realism", and that these pub-friendly respawn-enabled missions cause people to throw caution to the wind in the interest of score or whatever. That's a worthwhile observation, but I do not believe it is a reflection on a guide that is not written with either of those things in mind.

Again, the guide is for my group, ShackTac. It's written for us, for how we do things, in our styles of missions. It's free for anyone to look at and adapt as needed. It would be silly to think that the whole thing is going to apply in full in a pub server. There are plenty of aspects that can be applied regardless of mission type, however - if they're not, that's an issue of players, not the guide itself.

As to the remark about some sections being "too specific to (our) clan". I'll say it again - that's the point of the guide in the first place. If you don't run things the way we do, parts of it will not apply. It's there for you to see regardless, and it's up to you as to how you adapt it to your own purposes.

I would think that your comments about realism, teamwork, etc are best leveled at the servers you frequent, the players on them, and the missions designed and played on them. You can look at TTP2 for an example of how we have accomplished the goals of realism, teamwork, and more, and from there you are free to pursue those ideals however you feel fit.

Well said Dsly.

And again, great work on the guide. It really shaped up nicely.

If it's specially made for your clan, then you better take out Marek's frontpage comment, it's distracting people to believe different. :/

or correct this line "This guide is simply one of a kind and I strongly recommend it to everyone who will be sent to Chernarus!"

with

This guide is simply one of a kind and I strongly recommend it to everyone who want to join ShackTac!"

If it's specially made for your clan, then you better take out Marek's frontpage comment, it's distracting people to believe different. :/

You actually thought the whole guide would apply to most default missions, based on that one line? Even though right after Mareks comment, it's stated several times that the guide was made for Shack Tac and their way of playing the game.

The thing is: the guide DOES apply even to respawn missions. The fact a mission has respawn doesn't FORCE players to play like headless chickens with guns, it just ENCOURAGES them to do so.

You can go online, play on just about any public server with a couple of friends in a really coherent fireteam. Once you've actually done this, you'll start longing for more and the run and gun games start losing their value.

After all running around like a headless chicken does get boring a lot quicker then actually having a thought out approach.

Well at least that's my opinion.

or correct this line "This guide is simply one of a kind and I strongly recommend it to everyone who will be sent to Chernarus!"

with

This guide is simply one of a kind and I strongly recommend it to everyone who want to join ShackTac!"

Or maybe I could title it clearly. Hmn...

Perhaps something like....

ttp2_mainpage_banner.png

Oh wait, I already did that. :confused:

The last page-ish of discussion has boiled down to "People who don't want to play tactically don't play tactically". Ok, noted. No surprise there. Those that do want to play tactically, however, can learn things from the guide. I have hundreds of e-mails, survey responses, comments on this (and other) forums, etc, that point towards people getting something out of this guide regardless of who they play A2 with or how they play it.

Your cynicism is noted, but the overwhelmingly huge majority of feedback to this point indicates that you are in a tiny minority regarding this.

The really huge pity here is that you're being physically forced to read the strategy guide with the sorely-- nay, WOUNDINGLY-- misleading blurb from the publishers of the game.

But seriously-- if I could offer one criticism of an otherwise amazing guide, it would be that there could be much more material on actual tactics, especially within MOUT. There's enough there to write numerous books on, as a matter of fact. Also armor ambushes within cities and outside, laager tactics, etc.

You must have put about a hundred hours of work into it-- all in all an amazing effort.

Edited by spandrel

It is made for Shack Tac, but at the same time, there are things that can be applied to anyone playing Arma2. So Marek's comment is a compliment of that nature, not about it being the official ARMA guide. Take what you can use, and leave what you don't need/use.

Is your server having an organization problem? Then the part about communication can be put aside. Focus on playing it safe for yourself. If possible, provide help for other teammates. Don't try to have everyone else follow the guide, lead with example.

Here are somethings you can do.

1. You see a friendly trying to check around the corner. Instead of moving to different position, provide overwatch for a sector he is not able to cover.

2. Friendly tries to enter an area ad you know is infested with enemies. Warn them, and if that doesn't work, provide covering fire if needed.

You can't make others follow 100% don't get caught up with it.

as for MOUT/CQB tactics

Since ArmA2 is ultimately not a CQB sim, that's about as far as we'll go into CQB tactics. Knowing how to enter rooms properly should prepare you for the most common CQB situations you'll encounter in the game.

This pretty much covers the situation with ARMA. I find that there are a lot of CQB tactics not feasible to employ in ARMA that I can do in real life, and there are somethings that I can do in ARMA that I cannot do in real life. The basic of MOUT and CQB is covered, it's upto each player to know how to apply it.

Just to set things straight, I wasn't criticizing the guide, I was criticizing the mission makers and the server administrators, and at the same time was wondering where I can find better missions/servers.

Awesome guide. Probably the best guide I've ever read one this subject (NO, this wasn't the only one I've ever read :yell: ). Very informative and many tips that I've never even thought of before. Been trying them in battle and I am finding myself live longer and also helping to keep the team alive.

Thanks for the great work. Hope to see it for sale in a PDF or paper version some day soon.

:notworthy:

Edited by CID_Gen_Bondorf

Thank you Dslyecxi for your hard work and community spirit in creating this guide, as well as sharing it to all that wish to read it.

I'm totally new to ArmA II, and never played the first, so the realism of gameplay etc is a real culture shock. It's an absolute beauty of a game. Your guide is/will be ( I've not finished it yet!) a very interesting read, and help me understand more about playing a tactical war sim.

This is a very nice guide. Reading a bit everytime i can. The work from scratch must been a huge task and then also publish it freely, well, big ups to D for that. Now the only problem is that i dont have a place where i get to use all the great tactics. Time to find a place where i can get down and dirty. :)

Alex

with

:ups:

Hi all

I do not play on ShackTac, but this still the ArmA II bible.

If you want to suvive in ArmA II I suggest you Read Digest and Employ.

Kind Regards walker

Instead of me makeing and topic i will ask here, how do i put the aircraft carrier in game all i see is the battleships. Also how do i make them be on top of the water?

Instead of me makeing and topic i will ask here, how do i put the aircraft carrier in game all i see is the battleships. Also how do i make them be on top of the water?

What does this have to do with a tactical guide? Learn where to post mate before people go bananas. Mission Editing thread feels a bit more appropriate.

Alex

Cool guide, but there are some things in there which don't work in ARMA II.

Maybe they will be modded in later.

the guide is very good, but what really is the point when the campaign sucks and you can never put all that stuff into action in the game..

the guide is very good, but what really is the point when the campaign sucks and you can never put all that stuff into action in the game..

You posted your complaints about the campaign already in the appropriate thread, now you're just trolling, cut it out please.

This guide is a MUST read & should be a requirement before online play..IMO.