dslyecxi

Dslyecxi's ArmA2 Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures Guide Published

Wow, Great guide! as i will be picking up my ArmA2 copy on July 7th. so i will just start training in the demo.

guide has helped alot need to practices helicopter landings offline but multiplayer so much fun.Sorry if bag grammer just woke up

amazing guide. just amazing.

well put, well phrased, the screenshots are extremly well done with great composition, everything is understandable...

top notch, man. just top notch.

I feel this guide is really just the "n00b bible" as its mostly all common sense, but i can see how it could help out the beginners.

I feel this guide is really just the "n00b bible" as its mostly all common sense, but i can see how it could help out the beginners.

Care to share some examples of what you feel would be "non-common sense" topics for such a guide?

I don't really agree with your trivialization of the guide into a "n00b bible", but I'm of course interested in hearing what you feel would suit something more 'advanced' in your eyes.

... Eh? Did you actully read it? Or at least looked at it for more than two seconds? Just asking.

Another thing to improve readability and ease of linking to specific parts, could be to add an index to the top of each page indexing the specific sections of the page like so:

Basic rifleman page could have an (expandable) index on the top containing:

etc etc, I hope you get what I mean.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Another thing to improve readability and ease of linking to specific parts, could be to add an index to the top of each page indexing the specific sections of the page like so:

Basic rifleman page could have an (expandable) index on the top containing:

etc etc, I hope you get what I mean.

Yeah, I did that in the first one but didn't worry about it on the second. I could go back and do it (and may do so at some point), but there are other projects I'd like to work on at the moment. Perhaps in the future. :)

Dslyecxi, love the guide. Once I get my system to run the thing it will be my bible for everything ArmA. Even now, when I dont have the game, I think its a good read.

Care to share some examples of what you feel would be "non-common sense" topics for such a guide?

I don't really agree with your trivialization of the guide into a "n00b bible", but I'm of course interested in hearing what you feel would suit something more 'advanced' in your eyes.

i didn't mean it in a derogatory way, i meant this guide is really just best for people who are new to this game and genre as most of the book is just common sense when out in the field i find personally :/.

ALot of of long-timers play this game with alot of tactics, the tactics n information in this guide we practically already know so it just comes to us naturally, but for new players it wouldn't.

So best suited for new players :)

Excellent work. Not so much a n00b bible as a Military tutorial for those unfamiliar with all things infantry and that it does very well, kudos:cool:

Once I am comfortable with this game( and my TRACKIR shows up from back-order) I want to offer my services as a pre-FNG and try out Dslecxi's Shack Tac.

After playing online on various servers, I seriously want to know what missions you're playing where you can actually apply those RL tactics on any degree. Unfortunately I couldn't find any such missions so far.

After playing online on various servers, I seriously want to know what missions you're playing where you can actually apply those RL tactics on any degree. Unfortunately I couldn't find any such missions so far.

Well, the guide's subtitle - "For Shack Tactical" - may give a hint. ;)

galzohar: The magic is in the players, not the mission :)

Tactical Gamer is one good public alternative. But even better than that, is some kind of clan or closed community where you can play with like minded tactical gamers.

As far as I understand, "Shack Tactical" is a clan/community, not a mission type? :) In that case my point still stands. If a mission is designed improperly, all RL strategies go out the window. Sure you can still use them, but there will be more effective strategies. If the mission is properly designed, though, RL strategies are the best way to play them.

I'd like to play in the way that's best for winning the game, but I'd also like the mission to be designed so that the best way to winning will be the one described in the guide and used IRL. Most servers simply don't run such missions.

People always seem to blame the players first, but really it's mission designers first, players second. To blame the players for playing in unrealistic ways you'd first have to make the mission not encourage such ways of playing. If you don't, then they're not necessarily being stupid for playing it wrong, which voids any right of blaming them for the bad gameplay.

Note that I didn't say it's not also the players' fault, I only said it's funny to blame the players when the missions are designed in a way that makes realistic tactics not work as well as unrealistic ones.

As far as I understand, "Shack Tactical" is a clan/community, not a mission type? :)

Considering that all of our missions are in-house created ones, it's relevant. We are ShackTac; the guide is about how we do things, in our missions. Hope you see where I'm coming from with that.

Then why aren't they run on any of the servers I've seen? :(

Every server I played on so far had missions with so many flaws I don't even want to start.

Are they publically downloadable?

Then why aren't they run on any of the servers I've seen? :(

Every server I played on so far had missions with so many flaws I don't even want to start.

Are they publically downloadable?

Generally not. There's one, Operation Mongoose, that you can find in the ArmA1 mission section. If there's a demand for it in the future, we may look at making some available for general ArmA2 use. As a rule, though, we tend to keep them to ourselves, as they're made to our style of play and may not be 'public friendly' - ie, there are no measures in place to prevent people from griefing or generally being jackasses, since we don't have to worry about that sort of stuff.

PvP as well or coop only?

Both types, as well as a variety of gimmicky missions. We play a mix of coop and adversarial, though we often lean more towards adversarial stuff, as our players tend to put up a better fight than the AI does, and allow for more interesting tactics to be employed.

TTP need to consider:

- addon to implement the tactics (new addon?)

- how to make a mission to use the tactics

- how to improve the game to implement the tactic

- how to improve AI to implement the tactics

G-LOC

the guide is written(except for the ace part) for an addon-less Arma 2. Why would it weer off into addon/mission making?

the guide is written(except for the ace part) for an addon-less Arma 2. Why would it weer off into addon/mission making?

That's not exactly true, as the guide is completely irrelevant for many default missions. Missions need to be made with realism in mind for the guide to be relevant.

That's not exactly true, as the guide is completely irrelevant for many default missions. Missions need to be made with realism in mind for the guide to be relevant.

You're making a pretty harsh absolute statement there that simply isn't true. There are huuuge chunks of the guide that apply regardless of what mission you're playing, who you're playing it with, etc. There are other sections that depend on a specific organizational structure to be most ideally applied, though they can be adapted to other structures with a bit of creativity. That's to be expected, though - as mentioned previously, the tagline "For Shack Tactical" is not just thrown on there randomly.