dslyecxi

Dslyecxi's ArmA2 Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures Guide Published

A little off topic and may have been mentioned before but has any one else noticed that Shack Tactical is thanked in the credits page of the game manual....

yes, on page 0.58: "Andrew Gluck and Shack Tactical".

A little off topic and may have been mentioned before but has any one else noticed that Shack Tactical is thanked in the credits page of the game manual....

Nice catch. It's in the in-game credits as well. :)

Just noticed something this guide is *really* missing - ballistic trajectories for all weapons. It really sucks to not know if you're missing because you're not aiming properly or because of ballistics. IRL every soldier learns his weapon's offsets (or even better, for some weapons actually adjust the sights, which I really hope will be in ACE2). In game I would learn them too, except the info is not available - or at least I hadn't found it.

Another small thing is that a lot of keybindings have unclear/inappropriate/meaningless descriptions, so a better description in the guide would be very useful.

I think the TTP2 gives a well understandable concept of trajectory and sights with that simple "curve over straight line" image. It might be nice to mention that most rifles are zeroed at 300m or so but sniper rifles are longer. Weapon specific sight info would belong in some sort of weapons familiarization table.

A mimicked list of all the key binds from the control setup area with some detailed description, suggestions, notes, etc could actually be very helpful.

Basically I'd like to see the kind of information every infantryman learns about his weapon: The zero range and the offsets at ranges different than the zero range. The ideas of ballistics are very well explained, it's just the actual "at 400m you need to aim X CM higher" kind of information that needs to be sorted out in some sort of table for each weapon. I wonder if that can somehow be extracted from the game code or that you'll just need to test it all...

Will the Arma 2 version be available for purchase as a printed book>?

Basically I'd like to see the kind of information every infantryman learns about his weapon: The zero range and the offsets at ranges different than the zero range. The ideas of ballistics are very well explained, it's just the actual "at 400m you need to aim X CM higher" kind of information that needs to be sorted out in some sort of table for each weapon. I wonder if that can somehow be extracted from the game code or that you'll just need to test it all...

The point of a BZO (battlesight zero) is that you don't have to remember to "aim X cm higher" out to 350m or so, possibly more depending on how big your target is.

As to a drop table - that's entirely possible to pull from A2, but I think that's out of the scope of what I was going for. It's very specific information about each weapon, when the intent was to be more general than that. The concept of sight picture is introduced, ballistics are introduced, and the center-of-mass hold concept should get someone on target from 0-350m.

The idea of doing ballistic tables for different weapons just doesn't really interest me. It's the same as doing some kind of table for how many shots from AT Weapon X are required to kill Armored Vehicle Y. If someone else is interested in doing that sort of stuff, more power to them. I just don't see it as being a part of TTP2.

Will the Arma 2 version be available for purchase as a printed book>?

Yes, in about a month or two.

Yes, in about a month or two.

You can make damn sure I'll be buying at least one copy! That is excellent material that is even suitable for RL use! :D

You can make damn sure I'll be buying at least one copy! That is excellent material that is even suitable for RL use! :D

You're planning to join the army? :D

Dslyecxi, fantastic job on this! ARMA II isn't out here yet, but by the time it is out, I should have a much better grasp of how to be an effective team member when it comes!

Great diagrams and it's easy to understand everything. Thanks alot!

'Required reading' is a horribly over-used phrase in any gaming community that borders on simulation, and the OFP/ArmA/ArmA2 universe is certainly in that particular environs; but whereas reading operational manuals from real-world armed forces will give you some hints, this is the real deal when it comes to playing the game that is ArmA2.

What Dslyecxi has managed to do with TTP2, as he did with the original TTP, is provide the reader with just the right mix of transferable theory and ArmA2-specific detail. For any ArmA2 player - from casual to serious - the balance enshrined in Dslyecxi's approach is what makes TTP2 'required reading', and all other combat manuals 'interesting, but supplemental'.

- Fer :)

PS Yes, I'm a member of Shack Tactical, and yes, we do base all of our in-game approaches on TTP/TTP2, so in that respect I am pre-disposed to like the document. However, rather than see that as a source of unquestioning bias, let me suggest this: that experiencing TTP/TTP2 approaches in-game is the best way to be convinced of its efficacy as a combat manual for ArmA2.

I'd just like to Bump this thread and say that I really appreciate this Manual. Its a definitely a work of art, Quality is excellent and to the point, which is just what you need for a game like this.

Thanks,

- K

I feel silly converting the TTP2 into outline format while the "index" link (which I discovered much later) has 99% of the work done for me. Perhaps you can make the Index more obvious to the user?

When I see <== Index ==> I think "Previous Page, Main Menu, Next Page."

Congrats on the sticky, well deserved, excellent guide :)

Thank you for the guide. I have found myself reading a few pages, then heading into the game to put some things into practice. This should come with the game!

I feel silly converting the TTP2 into outline format while the "index" link (which I discovered much later) has 99% of the work done for me. Perhaps you can make the Index more obvious to the user?

When I see <== Index ==> I think "Previous Page, Main Menu, Next Page."

Would phrasing it as "Full Index" work better? Or "Outline"?

Great work, the original was outstanding, but this is brilliant. Well done and thanks..

The first one was excellent, so looking forward to the printed version of this too.

Trouble with reading it online is I get through a few paragraphs and it makes me want to boot up the game.

Would phrasing it as "Full Index" work better? Or "Outline"?

I don't think it's the phrasing as it is the physical positioning between the previous page and next page buttons. Perhaps the Index can have an entry on the table of contents or given mention. I had no friggin' clue it was their until I hit what I thought was the "back to top menu" link and found myself in an area up until the point I stumbled on it.

Well Dslyecxi, you just pushed me to purchase ARMA II even though I have yet to play the demo nor have I ever played the original ARMA. Why did this push me over the edge? Simple. Any game with a community like this one obviously has (looks at your guide) is a game I to play and a community that I want to be part of. Thanks for all of your hard work!

The one who needs to read this guide the most is the AI! If only the AI would follow 1/2 of this...

Thank you for guide been looking at it while steam downloads game