Sign in to follow this  
warlock2511

Arma2 dedicated server howto

Not possible this way.

You can only do this with a server side addon that checks for cfgPatches class of addons.

Only there you have the full scripting engine available.

Not possible this way.

:k:

buuhuu

It would be so nice to tell people why they where kicked off...

Thanks for reply!

Yeah, kicking people for unsigned addons is a problem. Kicking them for missing addons, though, can be done, if you remove the addon dependancies from the mission.sqm and instead run a script that checks if those addons exist. If they join they will then get an error but your script can run and give them the correct message before it kicks them by ending the mission for them (aka endMission "END6";).

I'm actually doing something like that in a new version of a PvP mission I'm working on, that should work with both ACE and vanilla, using ACE equipment and spectator script only if server runs ACE, and make sure that non-ACE users are kicked off of ACE servers while ACE users are kicked off of vanilla server, again with an appropriate message.

This may have bee asked before and I am sorry if it has but what`s the advantage of using LINUX to run a dedicated ARMA2/ACE2 server on instead of WINDOWS XP,7 etc?.

Thanks

Yeah, kicking people for unsigned addons is a problem. Kicking them for missing addons, though, can be done, if you remove the addon dependancies from the mission.sqm and instead run a script that checks if those addons exist. If they join they will then get an error but your script can run and give them the correct message before it kicks them by ending the mission for them (aka endMission "END6";).

I'm actually doing something like that in a new version of a PvP mission I'm working on, that should work with both ACE and vanilla, using ACE equipment and spectator script only if server runs ACE, and make sure that non-ACE users are kicked off of ACE servers while ACE users are kicked off of vanilla server, again with an appropriate message.

The problem though with scripted solutions is that you can only kick them off once they are in the game - and this is often too late - damage could already been done.

Where-as mission.sqm dependencies will not allow them to go past the assignment screen to begin with :-)

Yeah but he did ask for a solution that gives the player a message, and afaik that's the only way to do it, and hope he doesn't join with anything that destroys the mission before the script even gets a chance to run. Of course for pure safety signature check is the only way to go.

Though can a player actually do damage by not having addons? Or is script-kicking for missing addons good enough (and thus allows to at least give proper messages for missing addons)?

Though can a player actually do damage by not having addons? Or is script-kicking for missing addons good enough (and thus allows to at least give proper messages for missing addons)?
For a long time, dedicated servers and or clients crashed when non ACE users were joining ACE servers, or visa versa.

We traced that down to different setups of some of the hardcoded weapon behaviours like Put and Throw, but without sacrifycing functionality or diving into a whole new scala of other problems - we were unable to solve that.

I think that has been improved in the meantime (engine) but there are or were situations that can cause problems yes :)

Still no solution to this problem :/

I think I figured out what was wrong. I checked the steam script that launches the combined ops and I was missing a -mod=ca; from there. Dunno what this ca does but apparentally it fixed the launching of the server.

This did not solve the problem for me. I am trying to launch a CO server but when i try to play some mission from A2 it says in the rtp:

2011/04/01, 19:12:35 Missing addons detected:

2011/04/01, 19:12:35 chernarus

2011/04/01, 19:12:35 Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.chernarus

Start parameters:

"H:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 -name=default -config=default\server.cfg -cfg=default\Arma2.cfg -profiles=default -mod=H:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca

Any advice how to solve this?

I am running Steam version so they files are in separate folders.

I've run the .bat to combine those folders cos the server pc is old and has only igp which wont run the game itself.

I've also tried with my regular pc and it wont run it. Although I play CO normally with it.

Idk, perhaps i have just done something wrong...

Edit. I copied A2 on top of OA and now it works.

Edit2: some stupid questions, how do i disable 3rd person view and crosshair server side? And how do i allow players to use what ever mod they want to?

Edited by Atkins

ffor anwer to your question check the topicstart + first 3/4 reactions :)

Indeed. Took some more digging and testing. Thanks.

I copied A2 on top of OA and now it works.

But there must be some other means to do this, right?

Edit:

I was missing "" before and after the -mod line, so this was the final shortcut that worked:

"H:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 -name=default -config=default\server.cfg -cfg=default\Arma2.cfg -profiles=default "-mod=H:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca"

Edited by Atkins

Hello, can anyone give me a hand with this.

I run an Arma 2 OA server but for some reason my server won't ban people, kicking works fine but when you try to ban someone nothing happens.

Does the banning feature require battlEye to be set to on or any other feature to be turned on?

Thanks.

Edited by mycatsaid

What kind of ban command are you trying?

#exec ban [player number] = the normal game command or you can ban true the GUI (interface). In the server folder should be a file called banlist.txt or something that will hold the PID's of the banned players. Banning with BE is slightly different..

What kind of ban command are you trying?

#exec ban [player number] = the normal game command or you can ban true the GUI (interface). In the server folder should be a file called banlist.txt or something that will hold the PID's of the banned players. Banning with BE is slightly different..

Hey, I tried from the ban server control menu and I tried to ban people by the name with the same command you used and the ID as well. I added a banlist.txt.

Also BE is on and so is verifysignatures.

Still it doesn't let me ban.

Edited by mycatsaid

I think its bans.txt.

I host from my pc, not dedicated. Although I do own Combined Operations, I usually only host missions that I've created that are coop with 16 players or less and only require Operation Arrowhead to be installed and no addons or mods. I usually play with a few friends and allow public players to join if they wish. On a few occasions there have been public players that joined and hacked and ruined the game and I had to restart the mission from the beginning. I asked for help in the mission editing forum - thinking that I needed to script some sort of addon/mod blocker into my missions. I was given some help, but now I realize that I should've come here to ask for that help.

I created a server.cfg and placed it in my root folder.

Since I am not running a dedicated server, I figured that this is all I needed to add to my server.cfg:

hostname = "SUICIDAL COOP";
passwordAdmin = "z";
maxPlayers = 16;
kickDuplicate = 1;
verifySignatures = 1;
equalModRequired = 1;
disableVoN = 0;		
vonCodecQuality = 10;
doubleIdDetected = "kick";
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";
onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)";
BattlEye = 1;

In my Arma 2 launcher there is a box that says "Additional command line parameters", so I added this into the box:

-config=server.cfg

My Keys folder only has these 2 keys inside it:

bi.bikey

bi2.bikey

I'm not really sure what those keys are.

I also have several addons in my root folder that I have created individual @folders for, so I can easily remove them if needed.

Do I have the server.cfg everything setup correctly? What else do I need to do? can my individual addon folders remain in the root folder even though I am not using them in any of my missions currently, or do I need to remove them from the root folder? Again, I am not running a dedicated server, but I was told I could still make this work for a non dedicated server. Any help would be much appreciated.

i have no idea how that all works if you just running at host and not dedicated

as for those keys they are the default BI keys for everything by BIS

if you want to allow more mods you need to have the ***.bikey in the keys folder, however, running as host i have no idea if even any of this applies to you

I think a non-dedi server doesnt read the server.cfg, its all setup from within the game. maybe you can have a look at the Addon seeker server tool, hackers are everywhere and are hard to stop. but usualy the servers with little players on it are spared. its no problem leaving the @mod folders in the gamefolder while hosting or playing mission but like you say you want to make sure only some addons are allowed so you could get kicked from your own server :) In some occations there have been addons that gave problems during mission editing where they kept forcing themselves in the mission.sqm. Cant tell you more about non-dedi servers so i hope this helps.

Hi, im triying to run a co server, this is my line

ARMA2OASERVER.exe -port=2309 -name=Server -config=Server\Server.cfg -cfg=Server\ArmA2OA.cfg -profiles=Server -mod="H:\juegos\VALVE\STEAM\SteamApps\common\arma 2" -mod="H:\juegos\VALVE\STEAM\SteamApps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION;ca" -mod=@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_USNAVY;@CBA;@isla_duala;@panthera;@CAA1;@Namalsk;@fallujah;@lingor;@zcommon_ace

I tryed too ARMA2OASERVER.exe -port=2309 -name=Server -config=Server\Server.cfg -cfg=Server\ArmA2OA.cfg -profiles=Server -mod="H:\juegos\VALVE\STEAM\SteamApps\common\arma 2;Expansion;ca" -mod=@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_USNAVY;@CBA;@isla_duala;@panthera;@CAA1;@Namalsk;@fallujah;@lingor;@zcommon_ace

But im getting Addon bk12_naval requires addon "CAwater" .

I got the two games on diferent folders, bot on steam.

Is imposible run a co server with diferent folders? have to copy the addons folder from arma 2 to my OA folder?

Maybe inst running in co mode and only OA loaded?

Edited by zordak

Your command line is wrong. Should be:

"-mod=H:\juegos\VALVE\STEAM\SteamApps\common\arma 2;H:\juegos\VALVE\STEAM\SteamApps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION;ca;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_USNAVY;@CBA;@isla_du ala;@panthera;@CAA1;@Namalsk;@fallujah;@lingor;@zcommon_ace"

(with the quotes where I wrote them, only before the -mod and at the end of the mod list)

I tried to install dedicated server (as the readme.txt said to) for OA but after the ./install (which completed correctly):)

Everything went well until I tried to run the ./server and got lots of errors

I did check to make sure i had followed the readme a few times. and i get the same errors.

I also recopied the entire folder from Arma 2 operation arrowhead and renamed the base folder as recomended

A small part of error log:

Cannot register string STR_DISP_INT_RESTART_FORMAT - global stringtable not found

Cannot register string STR_MSG_PLAY_WITHOUT_SAVES - global stringtable not found

Cannot register string STR_MSG_MP_NOT_SIGNED_IN - global stringtable not found

Cannot register string STR_MSG_MP_NO_PRIVILEGES - global stringtable not found

Warning Message: '/' is not a value

Warning Message: No entry '.hotspotX'.

Warning Message: No entry '.hotspotY'.

Warning Message: No entry '.width'.

Warning Message: No entry '.height'.

Warning Message: No entry '.color'.