Sign in to follow this  
warlock2511

Arma2 dedicated server howto

"D:\Arma2 Server\ArmA2Server.exe" -port=2302 -name=default -config=default\server.cfg -cfg=default\Arma2.cfg -profiles=default

I tried copy the missions file from MPmissions and changing the name to map into my server.cfg files. I am still getting this error and I cannot join the server.

The file I am finding is under user docs. Is there another locations. This is a vista machine.

My%20last%20mission.ArmA2DemoWizardMission

Mods: CA

Distribution: 0

Preloaded texture Chernarus not found in bin\config.bin/CfgWorlds/

Preloaded texture utes not found in bin\config.bin/CfgWorlds/

Jman, thanks for the solid info!

I haven't had a chance to even play the game yet, let alone get my server up and running with ArmA 2.

Have they "fixed" it so clients download addons from the server instead of requiring to have them installed by each client ahead of time? If so, can we specify that they are downloaded from an FTP or HTTP server instead of from the game server?

JMan, thanks a bunch for all the work on the server. Silly question for you,

My server has a private IP like 10.4.4.4 and I'm using NAT and Firewall will this work or does the server need to have a 'real' ip?

Thanks

JMan, thanks a bunch for all the work on the server. Silly question for you,

My server has a private IP like 10.4.4.4 and I'm using NAT and Firewall will this work or does the server need to have a 'real' ip?

Thanks

Should work without an issue. Just make sure the host operating system knows how to get out to the web (proper gateway configuration) and you should be set.

I've run servers (ArmA included) on private IPs for years without an issue.

Should work without an issue. Just make sure the host operating system knows how to get out to the web (proper gateway configuration) and you should be set.

I've run servers (ArmA included) on private IPs for years without an issue.

Thanks for the quick reply, now to set one up :yay:

I'm also having troubles.

It seems the server starts just fine, though I can't confirm that it's using any of the settings I've dictated... I've connected to it, random others have connected to it... seems to be alive.

However, as I mentioned... I'm pretty sure its not using the cfg files that were written for it. First oddity is the name displayed in the Gamespy Server Browser... it shows up as the default windows user profile name. It also appears not be using any custom settings like the MoTD...

I've followed the tutorial on Kelly's Heroes page and used the example start line given as a reference.

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\ArmA2Server.exe" -port=2302 -name=server31 -config=default\31st_server.cfg -cfg=default\31st_server_settings.cfg -profile=default\31st_profile.cfg

I'm also having troubles.

It seems the server starts just fine, though I can't confirm that it's using any of the settings I've dictated... I've connected to it, random others have connected to it... seems to be alive.

However, as I mentioned... I'm pretty sure its not using the cfg files that were written for it. First oddity is the name displayed in the Gamespy Server Browser... it shows up as the default windows user profile name. It also appears not be using any custom settings like the MoTD...

I've followed the tutorial on Kelly's Heroes page and used the example start line given as a reference.

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\ArmA2Server.exe" -port=2302 -name=server31 -config=default\31st_server.cfg -cfg=default\31st_server_settings.cfg -profile=default\31st_profile.cfg

think -name=default & -profiles=default then you have a default folder with everything in. it will create a users\default with the xyz.arma2profile in there.. the -name is only the config name not the server name.

do you chaps know if its possible to run a dedicated server using a steam install, its becoming apparent that this maybe the easiest way to get the files to the server but I don't want to go ahead and buy it again if its no use.

do you chaps know if its possible to run a dedicated server using a steam install, its becoming apparent that this maybe the easiest way to get the files to the server but I don't want to go ahead and buy it again if its no use.

You can use steam as the base install for a dedicated server. I set one up last night. As with any other install, you'll have to upload the Arma2server.exe file up to the server once everything is installed.

kk ta :)

do you know if steam has to be running before the dedi is launched ?

I ask because if not then we can create a clan steam acc, buy the second copy and then give it a one of the guys whos broke to use after the server is running

Jman;1337201']Looks fine. Check your firewall ports

I tried it with the firewall switched off and it srtill has the same error.

Jman I duplicated my Bohemia Arma2 folder to another drive to use it as the Dedi server I dont suppose that would be causing the problem would it?. , do I need to use the locaqtion I have installed to before copying it?.

This worked fine for Arma.

Also when I use the Arma2 server Exe and the server runs fine when I go to the game to look for it its there under lan named after the name of my computer but not on the interent multiplayer list.

You don't use steam for the server. Get the dedicated server beta for windows. Install that in a directory on your dedicated machine, then copy all your files straight from your steam install into that directory. Works fine.

I'm still have a little trouble with my config files for some reason, but the server does work.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

kk ta :)

I ask because if not then we can create a clan steam acc, buy the second copy and then give it a one of the guys whos broke to use after the server is running

YOU DON'T USE STEAM when you run a dedicated server. Has nothing to do with steam.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

I tried it with the firewall switched off and it srtill has the same error.

Jman I duplicated my Bohemia Arma2 folder to another drive to use it as the Dedi server I dont suppose that would be causing the problem would it?. , do I need to use the locaqtion I have installed to before copying it?.

Also when I use the Arma2 server Exe and the server runs fine when I go to the game to look for it its there under lan named after the name of my computer but not on the interent multiplayer list.

Server isn't reading your config files. TRIPLE check your command line. one mistake, a " in the wrong spot, or a space, and it will do what you're describing.

Like was said above, no, steam does not have to be running to launch the server.

Steam is used, at least in the case of a "server" installation to install the game. It does not have to be running to launch the server.

Copying the ArmA2 install directory is fine infact our private ArmA2 server was setup the same way.

You may not see the server in the multiplayer list since your client and server are inside the same local area network. If this is the case it's possible your client is reading the server's netbios name - just a theoretical guess that is though.

Can others outside your network see it?

Can you give me the ip and port please?

It is also possible that if the server is not in a proper server farm (and I don't know if it is) and you are hosting it via your home ISP that they maybe blocking certain ports on the gateway to stop abuse of the service. Check with your ISP.

Edited by [KH]Jman

-cpucount= defines how many cores arma client or server uses. By default it uses all cores.

This parameter helps to limit the number of cores arma uses. It exists because arma executable allocates working threads to cpus at the start. Therefore, you need to allocate CPUs before you run the executable.

So if you are going to limit arma to say 2-cores out of 4-cores, do it by using this command or by setting affinity in the start-up.

Try to avoid changing affinity thru task manager after firing up the exe.

By default you do not need to change affinity or use this command. No extra benefits.

I used -cpucount=1 and it is still using both cores. Is there something else that I may of missed? I need to limit the CPU usage to 50%.

I cant get my server to change? I put all the arma2 server profile settings the way I want, restart the server load up the AAS maps I downloaded and I check "veteran" mode and its all still the same as before.

I would like to have veteran on with VONid on, cross hairs off, 3rd person off. and everything else veteran. Why wont this work. Is it possible that the mission is overriding my server settings?

I can't get the server to show on the gamespy list nor show up when using the IP itself. I have all the ports open that are needed and I believe I have the correct IP in for the gamespy master server, but no luck.

Do you have to have a mission selected in the .cfg?

No you don't the server will still show up as 'waiting', I've updated the tutorial today and added more in depth comments to the example configs. Hopefully that might help.

I did a clean install and I am getting a different error this time.

Cannot register unknown string STR_FILLRATE_FORMAT

The arma2 console comes up with host identity created.

host identity created indictates that the dedicated server is loaded.

If thats in the .RPT file and the server is functioning as you intend then you may ignore those errors. Most .RPT entries are just warnings regarding the current mission scripts or missing syntax.

I've seen a similar entry when running Domination.

How does the Save function work on a dedicated server?

It doesn't. There is no save facility in a dedicated server hosted game.