Sign in to follow this  
warlock2511

Arma2 dedicated server howto

Alan.rio;1321988']Hello chaps' date=' we have a server running on a 100meg line, with quad core and 8gig of ram. We know that the default server settings are probably geared at lower spec, can any one recommend what setting we should use to maximise the usage of the hardware?

Also we have been hacked several times today, so we have Muppet's out there wrecking servers already....[/quote']

Remember you guys visiting my server. Don't know how you felt the experience performance-wise, anyway, specs and config as follow :

Xeon QuadCore 2GHz, 4G RAM, OS Win 2008 server, 100Mb/s network access

MinBandwidth = 1000000;			//* Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to have (in bps). This value helps server to estimate bandwidth available. Increasing it to too optimistic values can increase lag and CPU load, as too many messages will be sent but discarded. Default: 131072
MaxBandwidth = 10000000000;		//Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to never have. This value helps the server to estimate bandwidth available.

MaxMsgSend = 256;			//* Maximum number of messages that can be sent in one simulation cycle. Increasing this value can decrease lag on high upload bandwidth servers. Default: 128
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 128;		//Maximum size of guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Small messages are packed to larger frames. Guaranteed messages are used for non-repetitive events like shooting. Default: 512
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 64;		//Maximum size of non-guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Non-guaranteed messages are used for repetitive updates like soldier or vehicle position. Increasing this value may improve bandwidth requirement, but it may increase lag. Default: 256

MinErrorToSend = 0.005;			//Minimal error to send updates across network. Using a smaller value can make units observed by binoculars or sniper rifle to move smoother. Default: 0.01

Their are also a few more tweaks you can do to improve performance if you know what you are doing.

1. assign memory to your nic car irq by editing your system.ini folder

2. tweak the tcp settings

3. turn off any un-necessary processes

4. run your server as a process that way you can set the priority and affinity (firedaemon is a good bit of software for this)

5. depending on what your server hosters switch is set at you can play about with the tx settings in your nic properties.

just a few things to think about but like I said dont do anything unless your sure of what you are doing as it can make things equally worse

Also remember to do one tweak at a time and write down what you did as this makes things easyer to reverse afterwards. Its just taken me 2 days to tweak our server to the point where I'm fairly happy with it.

Edited by SRRViper

My server OS is Windows 2000 server Service Pack 4.

Server side Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault worked well.

When I start Arma2Server.exe I get "Unable to locate point of enter to procedure InitializeSListHead in KERNEL32.DLL library". What can I do to fix this?

Reinstall OS on server is almost impossible task.

Cheers all. We were on your server whisper and enjoyed it while we were getting our own set up, needless to say you are welcome on ours anytime you want to visit.

Another question, I can't find a ban.txt, should I just create one?

Alan.rio;1322179']Another question' date=' I can't find a ban.txt, should I just create one?[/quote']

Gets created the first time somone gets banned, or you can have a blank one, makes no difference

My server OS is Windows 2000 server Service Pack 4.

Server side Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault worked well.

When I start Arma2Server.exe I get "Unable to locate point of enter to procedure InitializeSListHead in KERNEL32.DLL library". What can I do to fix this?

Reinstall OS on server is almost impossible task.

bit of info and things to try here http://www.pctools.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-21202.html

also how did you install your server did you just upload the files if so try copying the registry files over from a pc you have the game installed on as well

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

also look at this and try it http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/109327-resolved-procedure-entry-point-not.html

Use the REGSVR32 program to re-register the DLL file:

Click Start > Run... > type "regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll" (without the quotes) and hit [ENTER]. You will get a popup indicating that the file was registered.

You may need to restart your computer to finish this procedure. Remember to backup the original dll just incase

Edited by SRRViper

also how did you install your server did you just upload the files if so try copying the registry files over from a pc you have the game installed on as well

Yes, I "install" the game on server by uploaded of installed one. Trick with reg file is very similiar for me, and I do it, of course. Seems that problem is in this InitializeSListHead Function. On MSDN declares:

RequirementsMinimum supported client Windows XP

Minimum supported server Windows Server 2003

So, if this function is really neccessary by game, I must to upgrade OS on my server. Too pity. :(

Yes, I "install" the game on server by uploaded of installed one. Trick with reg file is very similiar for me, and I do it, of course. Seems that problem is in this InitializeSListHead Function. On MSDN declares:

RequirementsMinimum supported client Windows XP

Minimum supported server Windows Server 2003

So, if this function is really neccessary by game, I must to upgrade OS on my server. Too pity. :(

Have you right clicked the shortcut and tried running it in different compatibility modes?

If so unlucky :( looks like a os upgrade might be needed

just an edit I can get mine to run on Windows NT4 mode if you have that option

How do you disable 3rd person and different settings on a dedicated server does anyone have a template I could use?

Locate the *.ArmA2Profile in your ArmA2 server's directory, the location and name of which will depend on how you launch the dedicated server.

It should look like this:

version=1;
difficulty="regular";
class Difficulties
{

class recruit
{
	class Flags
	{
		Armor=1;
		FriendlyTag=1;
		EnemyTag=0;
		HUD=1;
		HUDPerm=0;
		HUDWp=1;
		HUDWpPerm=1;
		WeaponCursor=1;
		AutoAim=0;
		AutoGuideAT=0;
		3rdPersonView=1;
		ClockIndicator=1;
		Map=1;
		Tracers=1;
		AutoSpot=0;
		UltraAI=0;
		UnlimitedSaves=0;
		DeathMessages=1;
		NetStats=1;
		VonID=1;
	};
	skillFriendly=0.34999999;
	skillEnemy=0.34999999;
	precisionFriendly=0.20;
	precisionEnemy=0.20;
};

class regular
{
	class Flags
	{
		Armor=1;
		FriendlyTag=1;
		EnemyTag=0;
		HUD=1;
		HUDPerm=0;
		HUDWp=1;
		HUDWpPerm=1;
		WeaponCursor=1;
		AutoAim=0;
		AutoGuideAT=0;
		3rdPersonView=1;
		ClockIndicator=1;
		Map=1;
		Tracers=1;
		AutoSpot=0;
		UltraAI=0;
		UnlimitedSaves=0;
		DeathMessages=1;
		NetStats=1;
		VonID=1;
	};
	skillFriendly=0.44999999;
	skillEnemy=0.44999999;
	precisionFriendly=0.25;
	precisionEnemy=0.25;
};
class veteran
{
	class Flags
	{
		Armor=0;
		FriendlyTag=0;
		EnemyTag=0;
		HUD=1;
		HUDPerm=0;
		HUDWp=1;
		HUDWpPerm=1;
		WeaponCursor=0;
		AutoAim=0;
		AutoGuideAT=0;
		3rdPersonView=0;
		ClockIndicator=1;
		Map=0;
		Tracers=1;
		AutoSpot=0;
		UltraAI=0;
		UnlimitedSaves=0;
		DeathMessages=1;
		NetStats=1;
		VonID=1;
	};
	skillFriendly=0.44999999;
	skillEnemy=0.44999999;
	precisionFriendly=0.25;
	precisionEnemy=0.25;
};
	class expert
{
	class Flags
	{
		Armor=0;
		FriendlyTag=0;
		EnemyTag=0;
		HUD=1;
		HUDPerm=0;
		HUDWp=1;
		HUDWpPerm=1;
		WeaponCursor=0;
		AutoAim=0;
		AutoGuideAT=0;
		3rdPersonView=0;
		ClockIndicator=1;
		Map=0;
		Tracers=1;
		AutoSpot=0;
		UltraAI=0;
		UnlimitedSaves=0;
		DeathMessages=1;
		NetStats=1;
		VonID=1;
	};
	skillFriendly=0.64999999;
	skillEnemy=0.64999999;
	precisionFriendly=0.45;
	precisionEnemy=0.45;
};
};
blood=1;
singleVoice=0;
gamma=1;
brightness=1;
shadingQuality=7;
shadowQuality=3;
soundEnableEAX=1;
soundEnableHW=0;
sceneComplexity=300000;
viewDistance=1600;
terrainGrid=10;
volumeCD=5;
volumeFX=5;
volumeSpeech=5;

Edited by [KH]Jman
updated

Bit stuck here buddy..

Have copied and pasted your arma profile, changed the difficulty to veteran and still cant get 3rd person off as default :(

my command line is as follows..

"C:\Documents and Settings\server\Desktop\ArmA 2\ArmA2Server.exe" -config=server.cfg -profiles=server2.arma2profile -cfg=arma2.cfg

all cfg's are in same directory as the server exe. I have tried and tried and dont seem to be getting anywhere, any ideas

Edited by Taxman

Bit stuck here buddy..

Have copied and pasted your arma profile, changed the difficulty to veteran and still cant get 3rd person off as default :(

my command line is as follows..

"C:\Documents and Settings\server\Desktop\ArmA 2\ArmA2Server.exe" -config=server.cfg -profiles=server2.arma2profile -cfg=arma2.cfg

all cfg's are in same directory as the server exe. I have tried and tried and dont seem to be getting anywhere, any ideas

Try the following:

"arma2_server.exe" -name=server2 -config=server2\Server.cfg -cfg=server2\Arma2.cfg -profiles=server2

Arma2.cfg & Server.cfg should therefore be in the 'server2' directory

server2.arma2profile will be generated automatically in 'server2/users/' once you start the server. Therefore you will find it in: 'server2/users/server2.arma2profile'. Edit it to your requirements and save it back.

can anyone elaborate on this section

With multiple difficulty levels now now are they selected ?

class Missions

{

class Mission01

{

template = co50_AirCavA2.Chernarus;

cadetMode = 0;

};

};

Anyone know ?

class Missions
{
   class MPCTF_01    // name for the mission, can be anything
   {
       template = M02CaptureTheFlag.Chernarus;
       cadetMode = 1;   // difficulty 0=veteran 1=cadet (not only AI, but radar, map etc)
   };
   class MPCOOP_01   // name for the mission, can be anything
   {
       template = M01Cooperative.Chernarus;
       cadetMode = 1;   // difficulty 0=veteran 1=cadet (not only AI, but radar, map etc)
   };
   class MPCTI_01   // name for the mission, can be anything
   {
       template = M03ConquerTheIsland.Chernarus;
   };
};

Sorry my fault I should have been clearer , and I might have gotten more useful answer

When as admin you are selecting a mission on the server you have:

Recruit

Regular

Veteran

Expert

How are these selected in the Class Missions code section ?

Iam well aware of how this works in arma 1

slightly OT but what are people server specs to get this thing to host ?

Ours simply wont touch it with Co op or indeed anything that involves AI

1U rack server funded & bought by Kellys Heroes clan members.

All components purchased from Broadberry Data Sytems (tell'm I sent you)

Spec'd and built by myself.

Co-located @ RapidSwitch UK

SM 813M TQ

SM X7 DCL-3

Xeon Quad Core L5420 Low Voltage processor

4 GB DDR

280 Watt PSU

1TB Raid 1

Windows Server 2003

Outputs only 0.4 amps on full load!

rack-angle.jpg

rack-front.jpg

rack-rear.jpg

Edited by [KH]Jman

Jman;1325640']1U rack server funded & bought by Kellys Heroes clan members.

Spec'd and built by myself.

Co-located @ RapidSwitch UK

SM 813M TQ

SM X7 DCL-3

Xeon Quad Core L5420 Low Voltage processor

4 GB DDR

280 Watt PSU

1TB Raid 1

Windows Server 2003

Outputs only 0.4 amps on full load!

Pretty much the same here, apart from losing 0.5GHz on the processor (Xeon Quad Core 2GHz, 12M L2 Cache) and using Win Server 2008.

Maybe the 0.5GHz make all the difference, because on loaded missions with AIs, limit seems to be around 30 players

Have you got a server up?

Ill get my new computer on friday, am i welcome to play on that then?

If its not stationed to far away from sweden that is.

Server is in my signature. Feel free to join :) (I'm mostly out of it due to work, personnaly :) )

Server located near Paris

I se you server has 64 slots for ppl. What is the upper limit in number of ppl?