Sign in to follow this  
warlock2511

Arma2 dedicated server howto

Hello there,

since 4 days I'm trying to run the dedicated server.

things I've done:

1. I installed the game

2. I applied the 1.01 patch

3. I insertet the arma2server.exe into the install directory

right now I can start a server. BUT it's only configurable by votes.

AND I'm not able to start a coop game via lan.

I tried to insert the basic.cfg and server.cfg like the others. But even with:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma2_server.exe" -config=Server.cfg -cfg=ArmA.cfg

The server starts always with the worng server name an wrong maxplayer configuration.

Seems like it won't use the configs....

Edited by warlock2511
wrong writing

Where did you put your config files? Why are you running the A1 server's exe?

I forgot to write hiere arma2server.exe

I put the arma2server.exe and my both config files in the same directory where the arma2.exe is.

Do I need to create a Server Profile? I'm getting the error message of " no 3d performance....."

But the server still uses my config.

Write your params line here please.

Try the following and replace MyServer with the folder path that you want the server cfg files to sit in

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma2_server.exe" -port=2302 -name=MyServer -config=MyServer\Server.cfg -cfg=MyServer\Arma2.cfg -profiles=MyServer

The 'server.cfg' should contain something like the following:

// password = "";  // password to protect server access
passwordAdmin = ""; // password to protect admin access
hostname="MyServer Name";  // This is the server name that will appear in gamespy

motd[]=
{
"This is a welcome message",

}; // Welcome message

motdInterval=50;  // period between motd rotation 

voteThreshold=1.5;  
maxPlayers=80;
reportingIP="arma2.master.gamespy.com";
voteMissionPlayers=1; // start voting when 1 players connect
logfile = "MyServer.log";

class Missions
{
};

kickduplicate=1; // do not allow duplicate id
equalModRequired=0; // require equal mod
disableVoN=1;  
vonCodecQuality=7;
VonID=1;

timeStampFormat=full;

NetStats=1;
DeathMessages=1;
persistent=0;
BattlEye=0;
regularcheck="{}";

verifySignatures=1;

The 'Arma2.cfg' should contain something like the following:

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=8021.000000;
Resolution_W=160;
Resolution_H=120;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
viewDistance=10000;
terrainGrid=10.000000;
MinBandwidth = 15000000;
MaxBandwidth = 100000000;
MaxMsgSend = 1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 1024;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 64;
MinErrorToSend = 0.0025;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;

//-----------BIS Suggestions------------

//MinBandwidth = 320000;
//* Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to have (in bps). This value helps server to estimate bandwidth available. Increasing it to too optimistic values can increase lag and CPU load, as too many messages will be sent but discarded. Default: 131072

//MaxBandwidth = 10000000000;
//*Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to never have. This value helps the server to estimate bandwidth available.

//MaxMsgSend = 256;
//* Maximum number of messages that can be sent in one simulation cycle. Increasing this value can decrease lag on high upload bandwidth servers. Default: 128

//MaxSizeGuaranteed = 1024;
//*Maximum size of guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Small messages are packed to larger frames. Guaranteed messages are used for non-repetitive events like shooting. Default: 512

//MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 64;
//*Maximum size of non-guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Non-guaranteed messages are used for repetitive updates like soldier or vehicle position. Increasing this value may improve bandwidth requirement, but it may increase lag. Default: 256

//MinErrorToSend = 0.005;
//*Minimal error to send updates across network. Using a smaller value can make units observed by binoculars or sniper rifle to move smoother. Default: 0.01

//MaxCustomFileSize = 0;
//*Users with custom face or custom sound larger than this size are kicked when trying to connect.

3. I insertet the arma2server.exe into the install directory

Where is this file? I can't find it?

(DVD 505 English version)

With the greatest of respect, I think I'd prefer to download that from a more recognisable source.

Whatever just trying to help you. Most people who have been around ArmA for the past couple of years know my Clan.

I think I won't bother with this thread any more. :p

Edited by [KH]Jman

That's it. Toys >> Pram :)

Seriously... I'm well aware of your clan, but would you go installing software given to you by a url that started with an IP? Nah. Didn't think so.

Anyways, Armaholic had the file and I'm sorting my dedicated server now. Thanks for the pointer, by the way. Appreciated.

Was the IP pointing at Armaholic? Hehe. Pwnd!

You know all I was trying to do was help you but no you seem to enjoy baiting me which is exactly why I'm not going to add anymore to this thread. Do the original poster of this thread a favour and put it back on topic.

Signing off.

I wasn't trying to bait you. You misunderstood my posts. Please accept my apologies. If it wasn't for you and this thread, I wouldn't have my server running now, for that, I'm grateful.

my server start line:

"c:\program files\bohemia interactive\arma2\arma2server.exe" -cfg=c:\server\basic.cfg -config= c:\server\server2.cfg -profiles=midgard -name=Midgard -port=2303

i copied the basic.cfg and the server2.config out of the topics from this forum.

in the c:\server directory i placed the both configs

The fucking server still ignores every command

I'm having the same issue. It doesn't appear to ignore the "adminpassword" command, but everything else, including maxplayers and password, is ignored.

my server start line:

"c:\program files\bohemia interactive\arma2\arma2server.exe" -cfg=c:\server\basic.cfg -config= c:\server\server2.cfg -profiles=midgard -name=Midgard -port=2303

i copied the basic.cfg and the server2.config out of the topics from this forum.

From the quoted server start line it looks like there's a space between '-config=' c:\server\server2.cfg

You should remove the space and try again.

my server start line:

try to first of all execute the server with the profile=midgard command

the way to create you profile that will be found within the arma folder

also server and basic .cfg files are to put in the arma 2 directory better not set a outside destination of the mainfolder

even if you make different server setting just change there name on file as on target parameter

i hope this helps..i know it helped me

mine looks like this -cfg=arma16rd.cfg -config=server16rd.cfg -profiles=profiles -name=server -rankings=ranks -netlog -cpuCount=4 -maxmem=2047

still not perfect i know what i do wrong but every command works as i rewrite the profile paremeters(dificulity options etc) in server and basic .cfg

Edited by PhatVybz

try to first of all execute the server with the profile=midgard command

the way to create you profile that will be found within the arma folder

also server and basic .cfg files are to put in the arma 2 directory better not set a outside destination of the mainfolder

even if you make different server setting just change there name on file as on target parameter

i hope this helps..i know it helped me

mine looks like this -cfg=arma16rd.cfg -config=server16rd.cfg -profiles=profiles -name=server -rankings=ranks -netlog -cpuCount=4 -maxmem=2047

still not perfect i know what i do wrong but every command works as i rewrite the profile paremeters(dificulity options etc) in server and basic .cfg

First time I already tried the same with putting the config files in the same directory where the arma2server.exe was e.g. c:\program files\bohemia interactive\arm2\arama2server.exe

and still the damn server doesn't want to accept all these params and cfgs

I updated it to 1.02 too but still no change.

Is anybody here who can explain it to me on the phone or in icq 81310950 ? i'm from germany, cologne

Jman;1316562']The 'server.cfg' should contain something like the following:

VonID=1;
NetStats=1;
DeathMessages=1;

I found out that these parameters should be in MyServer.ArmA2Profile.

Because you can set different for each level of skill.

So A recruit could have all turned on, usefull when playing PvP and a if your playing coop, you should use veteran and then turn these off.

Note: Thats just my opinion.

Jman;1316562']Try the following and replace MyServer with the folder path that you want the server cfg files to sit in

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma2_server.exe" -port=2302 -name=MyServer -config=MyServer\Server.cfg -cfg=MyServer\Arma2.cfg -profiles=MyServer

The 'server.cfg' should contain something like the following:

// password = "";  // password to protect server access
passwordAdmin = ""; // password to protect admin access
hostname="MyServer Name";  // This is the server name that will appear in gamespy

motd[]=
{

}; // Welcome message

motdInterval=50;  // period between motd rotation 

voteThreshold=1.5;  
maxPlayers=80;
reportingIP="arma2.master.gamespy.com";
voteMissionPlayers=1; // start voting when 1 players connect
logfile = "MyServer.log";

class Missions
{
};

kickduplicate=1; // do not allow duplicate id
equalModRequired=0; // require equal mod
disableVoN=1;  
vonCodecQuality=7;
VonID=1;

timeStampFormat=full;

NetStats=1;
DeathMessages=1;
persistent=0;
BattlEye=0;
regularcheck="{}";

verifySignatures=1;

The 'Arma2.cfg' should contain something like the following:

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=8021.000000;
Resolution_W=160;
Resolution_H=120;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
viewDistance=10000;
terrainGrid=10.000000;
MinBandwidth = 15000000;
MaxBandwidth = 100000000;
MaxMsgSend = 1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 1024;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 64;
MinErrorToSend = 0.0025;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;

//-----------BIS Suggestions------------

//MinBandwidth = 320000;
//* Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to have (in bps). This value helps server to estimate bandwidth available. Increasing it to too optimistic values can increase lag and CPU load, as too many messages will be sent but discarded. Default: 131072

//MaxBandwidth = 10000000000;
//*Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to never have. This value helps the server to estimate bandwidth available.

//MaxMsgSend = 256;
//* Maximum number of messages that can be sent in one simulation cycle. Increasing this value can decrease lag on high upload bandwidth servers. Default: 128

//MaxSizeGuaranteed = 1024;
//*Maximum size of guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Small messages are packed to larger frames. Guaranteed messages are used for non-repetitive events like shooting. Default: 512

//MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 64;
//*Maximum size of non-guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Non-guaranteed messages are used for repetitive updates like soldier or vehicle position. Increasing this value may improve bandwidth requirement, but it may increase lag. Default: 256

//MinErrorToSend = 0.005;
//*Minimal error to send updates across network. Using a smaller value can make units observed by binoculars or sniper rifle to move smoother. Default: 0.01

//MaxCustomFileSize = 0;
//*Users with custom face or custom sound larger than this size are kicked when trying to connect.

It would be nice for BI to confirm if these are still the default settings on arma2 or are using a different set of configs? :confused:

It would be nice for BI to confirm if these are still the default settings on arma2 or are using a different set of configs? :confused:

That would just be great if they would do that!

Hello chaps, we have a server running on a 100meg line, with quad core and 8gig of ram. We know that the default server settings are probably geared at lower spec, can any one recommend what setting we should use to maximise the usage of the hardware?

Also we have been hacked several times today, so we have Muppet's out there wrecking servers already....