Sign in to follow this  
aurondude

Mumble compatible with ArmA2?

For all those who didn't know, mumble is a voice program (like teamspeak, vent, or any other similar VoIP program). However, it uses positional audio. In other words, if the person talking is far away, their voice will sound distant. If they are behind you, their voice will sound like it is coming from behind you. Same thing if they are to your left, etc.

From what I understand (after doing a quick search), OFP supported mumble, no idea about ArmA 1. Any know if ArmA 2 supports it?

ArmA 2 has a thing called Direct Communication which works in the same way i.e. your voice comes from your character in game if you use this mode so if you stand behind someone and VON is enabled and you select Direct Comms then you will appear to be sounding behind the person.

This is the same comms as ArmA 1.

Thanks for the response. Can't wait for the US release.

Mumble is in such heavy development (being open source) That I assume there will be a plugin released for ArmA2. Especially as it already has the functions in so it would be easy to hook into these.

Hi stevyd10

ArmA already has the same functionality built in from the get go.

Select the channel with the default [,] and [.] keys, Your looking for direct speak.

Press your VOIP push to talk button in my case my fourth mouse button.

Speak, you avatars lips move in time with your voice and the sound comes from the Avartars mouth.

The AI can hear it and will react to it. So beware do not use it when trying to be stealthy near enemy AI; as your enemy AI will hear you and kill you.

Not an extra program. No Mods Required. Just bog standard ArmA.

Kind Regards walker

Hi stevyd10

ArmA already has the same functionality built in from the get go.

Select the channel with the default [,] and [.] keys, Your looking for direct speak.

Press your VOIP push to talk button in my case my fourth mouse button.

Speak, you avatars lips move in time with your voice and the sound comes from the Avartars mouth.

The AI can hear it and will react to it. So beware do not use it when trying to be stealthy near enemy AI; as your enemy AI will hear you and kill you.

Not an extra program. No Mods Required. Just bog standard ArmA.

Kind Regards walker

I meant a plugin for mumble to hook into the game :)

But that really does sound amazing!

Hi Walker,

Are you 100% positive on this? If, what version of ArmA did you use? Maybe you have your test mission to share?

We tested this several times in MP back with ArmA 1.09 (IIRC) and no matter how much we screamed to each other the AI did not hear or react to us in direct speak (nor in any other channels) even if they where just a few meters away with blocked LOS by a thin steel sheet plate???

Would be a really cool feature tho and maybe it works in ArmA II?

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Sorry to bring this up again BUT. The ingame voice system is really bad, it usually breaks up about 50% of the time and even when it doesnt the volume is very low and usually the quality is also very bad. With Mumble the quality is quite good almost all the time with just about all the users I've encountered using it. I've started playing in a server and with a community that uses Mumble when playing ARMA2 and I would also like to know about any plans on anyone about making a plugin for ARMA2. But for now I am going to do some research on how to make such a plugin too.

Chatter on their IRC channel suggests someone is working on a plugin right now.

Sorry to bring this up again BUT. The ingame voice system is really bad, it usually breaks up about 50% of the time and even when it doesnt the volume is very low and usually the quality is also very bad. With Mumble the quality is quite good almost all the time with just about all the users I've encountered using it. I've started playing in a server and with a community that uses Mumble when playing ARMA2 and I would also like to know about any plans on anyone about making a plugin for ARMA2. But for now I am going to do some research on how to make such a plugin too.

Haven't had any problems on VON ingame in A2 as of yet. Gluck on getting the API for use with A2. If they won't do it for freetrack you aint getting it for mumble.

Strange, VON works perfectly for me. The only "problem" I encounter is that people sometimes do not raise the output volume of their microphone sufficently, or have not raised the radio volum in sounds options sufficently.

After I tell them to fix either, they succesfully do so.

Bumping this old thread. Mumble positional audio really needs to get working with A2OA. The in-game VON lags the server and just doesn't cut it.

Why, if you already found and posted in 2 other more recent threads, you feel the need to dig up a nearly 3 year old thread?

You are very well aware of this being a very old thread so to make sure the rules have your attention you will recieve a warning.

Maybe you did not read the rules fully during signup so let me quote it for you here as well as give you a link to them so you can go over them again:

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

Forum rules