Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

ArmA2 505 1.02.58134 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74926&page=80

Reported.

Reported? Why did you add that lol, makes you sound like some sort of community police officer with a very large e-penis...

You are right in reporting it, but adding that just comes across a little wrong.

You are right in reporting it, but adding that just comes across a little wrong.

Why? Saves other people the time of also reporting it as well.

Why? Saves other people the time of also reporting it as well.

My bad,

I took it the wrong way.

Apologies,

Rich.

Edited by Guest

Just installed ArmA2 now and I'm very impressed! I really miss those fancy little cuotes when you die tho :/ I only get 10-20 fps, but I'm still loving the game :D Soon I will invest in a new computer, and then I'm good to go try out some MP. Really looking forward to it :)

This game is absolutely excellent. It has a few rough edges-- I think the Red Harvest campaign probably shouldn't have been released as-is-- but the single scenarios grab hold and won't let go.

It's funny because many things here could have been done a number of years ago, like the large map. But nobody had the ambition to do so, I guess. I'm looking forward to setting up scenarios like those in Twilight 2000 et cetera where you have a few armored vehicles and a number of soldiers and you need to get from point A to point B through numerous small towns and insurgent ambushes. First game of this kind that really does guerrilla warfare justice.

I'd really like to see an Afghanistan map. Maybe someone will make one.

Lots of rough edges as far as performance goes. The "Lobodov" mission in Red Harvest is particularly terrible-- well-nigh unplayable actually, and I have a rig that exceeds the minimum requirements in most respects. And the graphics aren't all THAT great, considering. Why should an urban map like that get 5-10 FPS?

That said, it's still totally awesome. The editor and all the game options are just insanely nice and it makes you wonder why other companies don't do that.

Maybe they didn't need to until now. I can really see Bohemia eating a lot of larger studios' lunches with this game-- products like this always have a niche and it's an increasingly large one as the COD gamers get a little older.

why not wait for further patches before getting your knickers in a twist.

That just makes no sense.

Maybe if you can tell me when these patches are going to be released then I can look forward to playing it then (even though I paid for it last week).

:annoy:

Anyway this is exactly my point. The game has a lot of bugs and you think that's acceptable and get defensive without offering any arguments to my question. So there's obviously something you really like about it that makes up for it.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

+1 because you KNOW their coming.

I understand it's not the way it usually is in the industry, but honestly, why is that such a big deal? A common answer: Because people expect a grand unveiling of a finished product (that still have some bugs, I mean REALLY, very few of this complexity are flawless) that will not change much throughout it's life. No laws state that must be, and BIS have the flipside of the argument, release a product a bit early and therefore buggy for us to experience, fix and add to it through it's life. Not many other devs that I'm aware of ADD to their game without a for-pay addon.

Relax, it's a different kind of ride with the same outcome. BIS are honorable and will support like none other.

Cheers

-1 because I paid for it.

If they want beta testers they should have released it for free.

I fear that I might have to wait a long time, get distracted by something else. Ultimately loosing goodwill for the game and the dev and not really wanting to find out if they fixed it yet (same with Armed Assault).

That just makes no sense.

Maybe if you can tell me when these patches are going to be released then I can look forward to playing it then (even though I paid for it last week).

:annoy:

Anyway this is exactly my point. The game has a lot of bugs and you think that's acceptable and get defensive without offering any arguments to my question. So there's obviously something you really like about it that makes up for it.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

-1 because I paid for it.

If they want beta testers they should have released it for free.

I fear that I might have to wait a long time, get distracted by something else. Ultimately loosing goodwill for the game and the dev and not really wanting to find out if they fixed it yet (same with Armed Assault).

It's just BIS' way of vetting all those that don't have the right qualities to be part of the elite BIS community! :p

Hi all

Like the majority of ArmA Players I see few bugs and so far no real deal breakers. ArmA II is way better than ArmA I or BIS's original OFP was at their beginings.

But I understand how bad Mispunt feels at being left out of the fun.

That said the proper place to report a problem is first of all in trouble shooting, then people can check it over for you and see if it is not just a wrong setting or hardware driver problem. Or point you to a fix or tell you what the problem is and that it has already been reported. Then once it is confirmed as real issue place it in the community issue tracker, if you are one of many people with same issue you can vote for it; that way BIS know which issues to prioritise. That way you issues can get fixed. :)

Since you have not reported an issue in your two posts, no one can help you! And posting a non specific whine helps no one. As a community we have had a few people who Troll the forums and I am not saying you are a troll but as your only two posts are non specific you are not helping your self.

Try to deal in solutions :)

Kind Regards walker

Thanks Walker but my problem really lies with scripting.

Missions that cannot be completed because you did something the devs didn't anticipate. Which is kind of the point of an open world game like this.

So my complaints have really nothing to do with hardware issues and cannot be fixed unless I write bugreports and effectively do the job that their QA department should have done all along. And I have to pay for it too.

Thanks Walker but my problem really lies with scripting.

Missions that cannot be completed because you did something the devs didn't anticipate. Which is kind of the point of an open world game like this.

So my complaints have really nothing to do with hardware issues and cannot be fixed unless I write bugreports and effectively do the job that their QA department should have done all along. And I have to pay for it too.

Hi Mispunt

There is already a place to report mission bugs. :)

And indeed because people reported them many were fixed in the last patch!

If you have found others it is always better to report them; dealing in solutions is by far the most effective way to make things better.

Complex missions in a dynamic environment are hard to program. I know this because I make missions my self.

Being unspecific does not help anyone :( If you have a real problem it is best to articulate it. Go to the troubleshooting thread and say which mission you have an issue with. And then descibe the problem. Even though you may be the only one experiencing this issue I am sure some one will give you a hand.

It may well be that you have just missed a vital bit of information in the briefing; I know I do it some times.

Kind regards walker

It may well be that you have just missed a vital bit of information in the briefing; I know I do it some times.

You didn't try the campaign yet, didn't you?

There is already a place to report mission bugs. :)

And indeed because people reported them many were fixed in the last patch!

If you have found others it is always better to report them; dealing in solutions is by far the most effective way to make things better.

Hi Walker,

I'm here to share my impression of the game.

My point is that I'm not interested in being BI's external QA monkey. I can probably find solutions to most problems in the official missions forum and finish the game like that. Online walk throughs are fine for difficult mission, not as a band aid for broken missions.

I liked OFP a lot for it's single player campaign and I'd like to re-experience that, but it's just p*ssing me off that silly things like the order in which you tackle things can break this open world soldier sim. Again.

This game is very much about immersion. And about killing it.

Edited by Mispunt

It's just BIS' way of vetting all those that don't have the right qualities to be part of the elite BIS community! :p

True, because what they need are more beta testers. So elite they pay BIS for the service. ;)

Hi all

In Reply to MBot no; too busy playing MP. :) which is great fun as the increasing number size of servers proves. Along with the mass of missions being authored; PvP, Coop, RTS, RPG and things you never imagined. Also been busy woking on some addons and missions.

I want to play the campaign in MP with a few friends at veteran level so I need to up my skills first. Also we have to decide which of us will host it. I could not as my computer is at the bottom level of specs for ArmA II. If it can be run on a dedicated server that may be an option. We may just hire one for that.

As I say I have not experienced any game breaking bugs in the single player missions I have played nor in the editor. So I gather that your problem is with campaign. Have you updated to the latest patch? I understand from those who have completed the campaign it has solved most if not all of the issues.

I know many who have completed the campaign have found no problems but with the campaign being so vast and dynamic I can imagine there are bound to be a few unforeseen issues. Which I take your word for it you have discovered but keeping quiet about them rather than describing them in forum troubleshooting section or in the community issue tracker seems a like; not just shooting your self in the foot; in fact it seems like hacking it off with blunt axe. :(

No one can fix an issue that no will describe.

It seems like its a oooh, it arrh, its a thing...

If you want to solve your issue you have to articualte it. I presume that is what you want.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Awesome! NO other game out there allows such a concept. Have a pleasure tour through the country to sightsee, and possibly help out in a war, or fight off a zombie invasion, repel aliens, or just sightsee with a bunch of friends.. just the fact it CAN easily do this tour, and it is a unique and diverse experience is an awesome testament to the environment BIS created.

@Mispunt: Knowing we'll have a better game and likely a few new features we request, most definitely I'll pay to betatest and reap the rewards.

Edited by Scrub

I've been playing the demo a bit and have come across one thing that I consider to be a bug that has been around since the days of ofp/opf.

I really don't like how units in AI controlled squads don't hold their formation when fighting. It isn't good that they send random men running out to their deaths. It is especially annoying in High Command mode when you lose half of your vehicle support due to the squad level AI commander ordered 2 of his 3 AAVs out into the open to be gunned down by RPG and concentrated BRDM fire.

Other than that though and the fact that I have to play it on very low settings I am really happy with the demo so far. My full version is on its way and I am looking forward to it. I know this doesn't technically have to do with 1.02 but I figured the problem is probably in that too.

not only did it get moved but I got an official warning for my comments. Nice to see they value customers comments.

That made me angry to say the least.

If I put this in the wrong place I would apologise but all they had to say was thread moved to this section, I would have said sorry as I didn't see this section in the forum.

Well next time I have thoughts on a game by this company I will keep it to myself, or what next they going start banning CD keys if you say you don't like something.

what bigots.

Thanks for not overreacting. BTW public discussions on moderation are against the forum rules, but I'll let it slide, don't want you to stroke out ;)

And yes the official warning of "Please look around before posting" was just so bigoted, shocking, you should write to the ACLU immediately.

Edited by Placebo

tbh I got the wrong end of the stick because you didn't explain it was in the wrong section, I thought what you said was in essence (before you explained) -

"other people have complained about bugs so shut up."

I apologise for getting that impression but imo you didn't explain in a very constructive clear manor. Maybe, your thread was in the wrong section and has moved would do.

But I won't go on as you said we shouldn't discus it, I just wanted to post my apology for getting the wrong impression. (it is the impression section after all)

Thanks for not overreacting. BTW public discussions on moderation are against the forum rules, but I'll let it slide, don't want you to stroke out ;)

And yes the official warning of "Please look around before posting" was just so bigoted, shocking, you should write to the ACLU immediately.

Yes but it's the bigoted way that you said it! ... Please be more polite to people in future and try to be a bit more tolerant of other people’s views! ;)

Infraction +1! :p

Now before I start I'm a big fan of the Arma series from OPF onwards. so having said that I knew before I bought the game or read a review that there would be bugs. But arma 2 breaks new grounds in game bugs. don't get me wrong I love this game, simply there is nothing else like it and I can't stop playing it, which in a way makes things worse.

I was just thinking that I wish they just held the game back for longer and got some more of the bugs out. This was first apparent on the Manhattan mission which was so buggy that by the time I had got through it I was just happy to be off the level. Now I'm on badlands and trying out the command system for the first time and although I still keep playing its like pulling my hair out. Half the time you tell a squad to move to a location and whatever speed/combat stance you put them to they insist on moving so slowly to the next location they might as well be standing still, which they also do half that time.

I'm now taking the second town and I get bugs like, the medic just refusing to move from the spot with his pistol out for some reason. Then if I get hit and shout out I need help no one comes, ever it seems (even without the bug I said before). And you cant swap to another team m8 in this mission it seems (I assume that's not a bug) so ur screwed. Not to mention the AI seems to be able to spot u through enough foliage to hide a small house if they are close enough, or through a hill, building etc (which BIS have said they are working on).

Now I'm sure if you listed all the bugs it would take you all day to read but my point is it seems they mostly wanted this game out ahead of OPF2 if you ask me.

As the game is its on the verge of being unplayable to an extent. Yes you can force ur way past the bugs with reloads and patients but it just takes away the sim feel.

Now fast forward 6 months and they will probably sort out most these issues and the game will be great but for now I feel a little let down by BIS for releasing the game in this state.

Now my rant is over I shall go back to bashing my head against Arma 2 because I can't help it, damn you BIS y did you have to make the most buggy game I have ever played so good :D

besides I think I was a little annoyed because I wanted to discuss if people think the game should have been delayed because it had so many bugs. And in a thread more then 80 pages long, its now not going to be discussed. So it gave me the impression that actually discussing individual points was not allowed in these forums.

lets face it, no ones going to read all these posts and discuss it so in essence, moving all posts with an opinion to one massive thread is a little like censoring out any real discussion on things.

PS I'm not disputing a specific mod decision this time (what will be will be) just giving my impressions on general forum policy. And if we can't discus policy here then what's the point of having a community forum.

ye looky what happened to my opinions

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76650

there are some hardcore fans here for sure

that was warming up into a nice disussion (which is why i thought we were here)and i was looking forward to verbally pwning some blinkered people

then..... closed and moved i think because....... well i was right

i dont need a thread closure to tell me this game is bug ridden untested annoying and frustrating

thats my impressions... but how strange i can download user missions that work fine and are very challenging and enjoyable also go online and play a very enjoyable game (when i dont get tk)

the game overall is good, very real and very enjoyable

all these bugs however in the campaign, just sloppy and they do make it unplayable

the campaign should be the showcase it should work perfect.

i was SO suprised when multiplayer worked so flawlessly.After playing the awful campaign i didnt have very high hopes at all...

as a player totally new to the series the campaign is my introduction to the world of ARMA and i just gave up at delaying the bear my team just wont listen so i shoot them all and go play multiplayer:D:D:D:D it was one bug too many.

i also had the impression of censoring when my thread was locked and moved

i am just glad i got the appology from the rude fanboi before it got closed otherwise i might lose some sleep that something was unresolved

PS to the mods i appologise for putting my post in the wrong place but err i didnt really give a rats bottom at the time.I HATE wasting money.... but then i tried multiplayer...woop!

Edited by PEACEwoody

besides I think I was a little annoyed because I wanted to discuss if people think the game should have been delayed because it had so many bugs. And in a thread more then 80 pages long, its now not going to be discussed. So it gave me the impression that actually discussing individual points was not allowed in these forums.

lets face it, no ones going to read all these posts and discuss it so in essence, moving all posts with an opinion to one massive thread is a little like censoring out any real discussion on things.

PS I'm not disputing a specific mod decision this time (what will be will be) just giving my impressions on general forum policy. And if we can't discus policy here then what's the point of having a community forum.

Hi Dar_Vender

The problem with your idea is the Moddies have tried it.

We end up with a forum spammed with Fanboy love posts and Concern Troll headlines of peoples opinion, its is a waste of space.

So naturaly the moddies have to come up with a solution. Moving all posts with an opinion on the game to one thread is common sense.

As to peole not looking through the thread. The plane fact is that this thread is one of the most popular in the forums, most people visit it every time they come to the forum, starting with the last thread they read so it all gets seen and we do not all have to read through it all from the start we can remember.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Alright, Finally got my hands on the game and played for a while with a pretty good round in a server running Domination (note these are not my impressions on the SP campaign, I have no intentions of playing that really, I'm almost strictly MP when it comes to ArmA) when I found a server that didn't have a bunch of retards blowing shit up at base. There's nothing I can mention that hasn't already been said about bugs, though I didn't not really encounter any personally, but a few did occure to some others during the session. Aside from the game being a bit harsh on my system (doesn't help my monitor's native res is 1680x1050 and i'm too stubborn to turn it down, I feel sorry for those with bigger monitors than me :D ), I had a load of fun, and got to see some awesome bombing runs by someone in an A-10 that left my pants in an unclean state.