Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Now don't get me wrong.... I hope you know aswell as I do that there is still alot to work on to make ARMA II all that it can be. But this patch is, atleast for me a large step in the right direction. Performance and looks has improved four times in this build over the last one, before I had 10-30 FPS (regardless of settings) in almost all enviroments, I'm now at a stable 40-50 with everything to normal (except textures at high), AA 4x and 3k viewdistance, fillrate @ 100%.

So to sum it up BIS; Take a few days off, and be proud in the knowledge that you are probably one of the very few, if not the only developing team who pays close attention to the needs and the wishes of the community. And to top it all of, you always do your best to grant those wishes and to satisfy those needs.

But as said, there is still alot of work to do, after you take those well deserved days off that is, drink a Zlatopramen for me. :drinking2:

Is it normal that there are more FSAA options than the basic "low", "normal", "high" and "very high"? I also have four more options: 5, 6, 7 and 8. They seem to eat a lot of performance. Possibly MSAA?

* Enabled MSAA in Video options

Aye mate, MSAA.

arma22009062618234634.jpg

I wonder what they were thinking when they didn't include AA in the first place?

Most likely stressed for time to make the release date - I'm just glad it's in now!

Is it normal that there are more FSAA options than the basic "low", "normal", "high" and "very high"? I also have four more options: 5, 6, 7 and 8. They seem to eat a lot of performance. Possibly MSAA?

Should be the same as what's listed in your graphics drivers? I find when games refer to AA settings by level 1/ level 2/ low/ high ect they match the settings in my graphics card drivers. Eg 3rd setting equals the 3rd setting in the drivers.

ImprovedAIdriving.jpg

Im impressed with the improved AI driving more than anything. No way could it screw up this bad before. :D

Does setting AA remove any of the post process features?

It seems to, I noticed that the motion blur isn't as prevalent with AA turned on. Looks OK.

It seems to, I noticed that the motion blur isn't as prevalent with AA turned on. Looks OK.

Ya thats what I thought.

you can play with both.. sooo...

anyways with AA on high i dont have to have the fill at 200% for the nice jaggy free experience. Thnx Bis!

And with 32HDR too on my ATI card!

I wonder what they were thinking when they didn't include AA in the first place?

They say they have problem with standard AA before and have to replace it with fillrate, maybe they change some coding to make AA finally functionable in 1.02?

They say they have problem with standard AA before and have to replace it with fillrate, maybe they change some coding to make AA finally functionable in 1.02?

But there was AA in ArmA 1.

At some point someone must have thought "hmm this will break AA, but who uses that anyway?" :rolleyes:

It was indicated that antialiasing caused artefacts on shadows, which is likely the reason why AA killed shadows before the latest hotfix. Now they've fixed it and AA is fully implemented. Why dwell on the past? :)

Its to bad some of you have issues with the performance. But I hope BIS will fix bugs as well as improving the performance. The game runs smooth here.

so i gotta uninnstall whole game to i b able to install the 'new' 1.02 patch?

No.

How can i choose 4x AA?

I don't know which of: low, normal, high, very high is 4x AA.

No.

How can i choose 4x AA?

I don't know which of: low, normal, high, very high is 4x AA.

i tired installing an got a error saying no arma 2 installed or installion corrupted

i tired installing an got a error saying no arma 2 installed or installion corrupted

It didn't say: patch 1.02 already installed? or something like that

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

I think it's confusing when there is both low, normal, high, very high AND 5, 6, 7, 8.

Can anyone explain this mess..?

Anyone else experiencing the postprocessing setting going to low when you restart the game? it still appears to be set to very high in the menu, but if you click on another option PP option and then back on very high it changes it correctly, have to do it everytime I play though, didnt have this previously.

don't use andaptative AA , neither edge-detection AA. use standard BOX

Tried that, and it helps a little. but i can't play with normal due to the bad performance. i think it is really strange, that i can run the game with a really high fillrate much smoother than with AA to "normal".

Ok, then i don't know what the problem might be..

im a noob, i just started re-installing and realised i renamd the exe to crysis an forgot 2 put it back for patch lol

Works really well, set AA to high in-game and well, without AA its just not tennis is it really. :)

I played a few scenario missions and the performance it relatively the same so High AA for me hasn't made much performance loss at all which is rather nice.

Amazing how much AA smoothness adds to that immersion factor.

BTW you will get patch 1.02 already installed as it reports existing files already added via the 1.02 first patch. This will seek and overwrite new files required. So even though it will write some files then report 1.02 already installed that's normal here, afterwards it was indeed updated.

(why people are reinstalling the game without loading and testing AA changes first is beyond me).

Edited by mrcash2009