Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Thx BIS for this patch, hoping 1.03 performance patch wont take too long. If you guys need help with beta testing the 1.03 patch, consider asking the devheaven crew as beta testers. You could give the patch to just a few of them, they are quite good testers imo.

Like most of the community i hope we´ll get AA support with a hotfix in the next weeks, hope you guys can sort out the shadow issues with activated AA.

Ok so patch seems to have made a huge difference in performance, but I lost my grass and the view distance bar dont seem to alter anything. Also its all gone rather cartooney. Im gonna reinstall the whole game to see if that helps. Nice performance increase though.

There is now an extra section for game modules under the others (Units, Waypoints, Synchronization etc.), with the hotkey "F7". :)

Ah ok, thanks mate!

btw, my specs are:

ATI 4870 512mb. e8500 @ 3.7GHZ. 4gb ddr2 ram. xp pro 32.

Cheers!

Thanks to the team at BIS for this update.

I had some trouble getting the AA working properly...

If I disable shadows and enable FSAA, I get weird black shapes all over the bottom of my screen, my solution was to keep Shadows enabled (they are automatically disabled in game). I have the FSAA set to 2 which adds a subtle layer of AA to the game, it's not 4xAA but we're heading in the right direction... :) Now just bring those shadows back and I'll be a happy soldier!

I still cannot override or enhance the AA or Anisotropic setting with Nvidia Control Panel, which I would like to be able to do. I have a BFG GTX 260 896mb and it's not being used as much as it could be.

I've deactivated Post Processing effects and the game runs ok. The HDR Bloom effect is much more toned down since the update and now I can actually see what's happening around me anywhere I go... Thanks for fixing that BIS.

I recently bought a quad Q9650 for gaming, as an upgrade to my E8500. I also have a G15 Gaming keyboard and can see the CPU and RAM usage on the display. ArmA2 regularly uses more than 65% of the CPU (65% of 4 cores), around 50% would be the comparable max load for a stock E8500 with 2 cores. This is one CPU hungry game, so don't be surprised if it stutters or you have a low frame rate on a dual core. Neither of my CPU's was overclocked. I have tested ArmA2 with the Q9650 at 3.6ghz and, somewhat obviously, the performance was better.

I would like to see a better LOD system in the next patch, if possible. The most disturbing thing for me in the game, is how the detail on objects pops into view all the time. I never played ArmA so I don't know if this is part of the engine but it would be great to see a user customisable LOD.

I am loving this game. It is a fantastic attempt at simulating real world conflict and with all it's dents and bumps, it's still leagues ahead of the competition. You can't come to ArmA2 expecting COD4, you just can't compare them... I am really looking forward to seeing what happens in the next six months with ArmA2...

For anyone interested in my setup, I run Windows XP SP3 on a Q9650 CPU at stock speed 3ghz. I have 4gb RAM and a BFG GTX 260 graphic card. I use the latest Nvidia Drivers, 186.18 and my system is defragged and optimised for gaming. I play ArmA2 at 2560x1600 on a 30inch monitor with a TrackIR 4, mouse and keyboard and an X52 hotas.

The only change I made to my .cfg file was to change FSAA to 2 and the Render size to the same size as the Resolution, ie Fillrate 100%.

In my ArmA2.Profile I changed the following settings:

anisoFilter=3;

TexQuality=3;

TexMemory=4;

shadowQuality=3;

headBob=0;

sceneComplexity=250000;

viewDistance=2500;

terrainGrid=25;

gamma=1.1;

brightness=0.9;

The game is very playable, performance could be better but for now it's ok.

I haven't been online yet so can't comment on that.

I hope my comments help some of you fighting to get ArmA2 looking like the screenshots that made you buy the game ;)

Toby

@ MadDogX and Manzilla,

I remember that a very similar performance drop occurred when ArmA1 got patched to 1.14. BIS had then changed something with the virtual memory address thing and the effect was devastating until... you installed Vista SP1, then everything was back to normal or even better.

Maybe someone (Hrrrmm... BIS) could let us know if something of equal magnitude has been done in this 1.02 patch for ArmA2.

Edited by laggy

Just a quickie on the Xbox rumours...

I used to work for Nintendo, and I can say with a certain amount of authority that if AA2 was developed with consoles in mind, 505 wouldn't be the distributor - they're just a bit too small for a worldwide Xbox release.

AAA titles get grabbed early by companies like Ubisoft - this one, thankfully, seems to have been designed with PC only in mind.

If this was an Xbox release, we would have seen previews and screen-shots in the trade press. We haven't.

To everyone who's complaining, wait until you play OF2 - you'll see the difference instantly - it's been made idiot proof to make it buyable for the 14+ market.

1.02 havent bring really any new problems to me. Thought the AI occassionally seems to have more hard time to do anything. They still arent driving on roads that well you could ve seen in OFPR, more work on it as it make everything else more stable.

Been playing arma2 for a bit today (after walking through a rain storm to go buy it at game) and I’m very impressed (worth getting drenched for). Just downloaded the patch which will be put on tomorrow after I get some very happy person sleep.:D

On a different note would just like to say that for some reason I can’t get on to the arma2 website I get stuck on the page with the language flags which link to the same page, anyone else got this problem with the website. :confused:

ok, reinstalling v1.01 here

why ?

After some different experiences with a highly dynamic AI scripted mission i finally noticed that these deadly APCs from 1.01 seem almost non existent any more most of the time !

Then I tried this, just do it, if interested:

In the editor place one BMP2, skill 100%, facing to the west on the east side of the Utes runway and play a BlueFor Rifleman placed behind the southern hangar, approx 200m away from the BMP2.

Now start the preview in veteran mode and RUN towards the BMP.

It instantly sees you, noticable by switching on the engine and turning the cupola towards you.

But it does nothing !

You can even run some steps forward and make some nice gymnastics, Mr. BMP2 mere observes you, lol

Now fire one shot at it (not beneath it, it will still ignore you, lol) - your instantly shot.

great ?

Now give yourself any AT weapon and repeat the lesson.

Nothing changes - with one "tiny" difference: if your first shot is a SMAW instead of a rifle shot, you will not recieve a answer this time :-\

Try it, you you have all the time you want. Mr. BMP is not very picky in 1.02 :p

BIS, please give us that SUPERB AI from 1.01 back !!

All those discussions about "cheating AI" and the like can easily been clearifyed if the missions are desgined accordingly, using the methods already present like skill AimingAccuracy and such

No need to dumb a almost perfect AI down !

Just my 2 ..

damn, need to quote myself a second time, and for the same topic, too.

Looks i'm a bit too tigger happy when posting today, sorry for that guys.

I installed v1.01 on the same partition as 1.02 but kept it in a different folder

This way I was able to run both versions and I repeated my tests:

I have to admit the outcome is the SAME for both versions.

However, I'm not totally sure if not both installs share some cfg data form the user folder what might cause this same result, but honestly I doubt it as i couldnt find any AI related settings in the cfg other than the difficulty related but those seem untouched by the 1.02 patch.

So finally, if not confirmed by others please just disregrad my statements at the moment.

Trying to keep more evident next time.

And yes, as I already stated in another thread, big kudos to BIS and all involved for Arma2 in general, and thanks for this update in paticular as it does solve a lot of things ! Its always easy to get carried away in the heat of hunting issues thus forgetting these kind of words you guys deserve.

Outstanding piece of work, as always ;)

keep at it :)

ehh. It seems after the patch the nice bumpy rock texture is not bumpy anymore :(

Check your options, its possible they changed the parrallax mapping to be it's own option now to give more performance versatility.

Artillery Module at work:

It's all gameplay, no scripting. Effects are awesome. Mad props to the "Arma2 is just OFP with better Addons" crowd ;)

It's all gameplay, no scripting. Effects are awesome. Mad props to the "Arma2 is just OFP with better Addons" crowd ;)

nomnomnom

Final verdict on 1.2 patch is massive improvement for me. Smoothe faster but still a bit stuttery. Visually I can now see whats coming at me, looks much like the old arma i love, and plays more like it. Bis you might win me over yet. Only thing is no shadows with AA, is this something that will be added at some point, or am I missing something.

Check your options, its possible they changed the parallax mapping to be it's own option now to give more performance versatility.

No, the other textures have the parallax mapping.

What I've found out is that the specific rocky land texture is using the wrong parallax texture after the patch. Just a small mistake to be fixed.

That was beautiful.

That was vanilla Arma 2 or a mod? I keep on hearing "module" and I don't know if that's another word for plug in or mod?

Does it also work exactly the same way in MP?

edit: "...firing on that grid reference, fire for efect, Out."

too bad we can't ear our him say the correct coordinate numbers we give.

Edited by bravo 6

That was vanilla Arma 2 or a mod? I keep on hearing "module" and I don't know if that's another word for plug in or mod?

Vanilla Arma 2. Modules are another class in the editor (besides Units, Triggers, Waypoints etc.)

Does it also work exactly the same way in MP?

I think it does, IIRC I read something about artillery calculations being done on the server. Don't know for sure though.

That was beautiful.

Straight vanilla A2. The modules are a pretty damn good concept. They add so much more to the game. And what gets me pumped is that I've only seen a tiny fraction of what these things are capable of. Since there's no documentation yet all I know is the basics of running some.

Whomever came up with the idea of implementing this "modules" feature is a genius.

I love the game, love it in the strongest means possible.

This was before running the patch which I did not know existed.

I bought and paid for ARMA1 but gave up trying to turn myself into a soldier from a seagull.

Loved Operation flashpoint and could not find a game as good as that in all these years until now.

At least I know that if I am in a terrible car accident where both legs need cutting off, life will still be worth living....

Running it at 1920x1200

In one of the missions where you are taken by a half helicopter/half plane thing on the way to the rotten apple, when you get out and look back at it taking of, it looks so life like its incredible.

The castle ruins are also so nice.

Right now I am aimlessly going round the map and shooting anything suspicious. I found once you get to the manhattan mission, some of the objectives are not all that clear.

Tracers and HE rounds out of the LAV are fantastic.

I am doing my best to destroy a tank with a LAV but its my 21st go and I am still getting a hiding, but its worth it just to see the HE hit the tank and then all the smoke.

This mission though needs more enemies:bounce3:

One thing though, I cant get into any tanks, it just comes up with an arms reload symbol, will that occur in later missions?

Also the Bishop from one of the local churches was conspiring with the enemy, should he be shot even if unarmed?

Edited by Placebo

Just got to the 2nd open ended mission in the campaign. Probably the most immersive gameplay I've ever seen.

Was gonna post this in techsupport but my HDR turns itself on whenever I put some FSAA via config. The graphics option in-game say HDR is off, but it definitely is on (as my bleeding eyes can attest to)

I've tried different config settings.... maybe has something to do with the noblur mod?

more likely yes ... i would check with the noblur author for new version

That was a great vid! I have a question: do air raid sirens sound when strike aircraft are inbound as well?

richiespeed13 and Swedda,

This is weird...

Could you please post your specs?

E8400 @ 3,6

4870 1gb

4DB ddr

vista x64