Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

One thing that the devs deserve a huge thanks for is for getting the howitzers to work with the artillery module without any init-line fiddling. Time for some bombardments. :D

Also, AI flying is definitely improved, even after my games of 'Get the plane as close to the tower as possible without touching it and then teamswitching to the guy on the tower to witness the awesomeness' the AI can still pull up from over Mach 1 without hitting the trees. :D

Too bad nearly every server lags and theres never any teamwork.

Looks like there are lots of new players going in rambo style. I've seen some teamwork, but usually it's the same two or three people sticking together - probably friends trying the game out.

Has anyone tested the in-game VoN? Does it even work properly? In the last few servers I played on, no one could hear me and nobody else was using it either. I'm sure my microphone is okay, it works fine in other games and recording in Audacity.

As for server lag, I've seen some really bad servers, but also some with practically none at all. At least in 1.01. Haven't gotten round to playing 1.02 online yet.

Could it be that "weaker" servers are taking a hit because of all the micro-AI load...

Looks like there are lots of new players going in rambo style. I've seen some teamwork, but usually it's the same two or three people sticking together - probably friends trying the game out.

Has anyone tested the in-game VoN? Does it even work properly? In the last few servers I played on, no one could hear me and nobody else was using it either. I'm sure my microphone is okay, it works fine in other games and recording in Audacity.

As for server lag, I've seen some really bad servers, but also some with practically none at all. At least in 1.01. Haven't gotten round to playing 1.02 online yet.

It is possible to just play 2 player coop with a friend correct? Like host a game? Or do you have to find an empty server?

Thanks for this BIS, really improved performance for me!

ehh. It seems after the patch the nice bumpy rock texture is not bumpy anymore :(

Really?

It is possible to just play 2 player coop with a friend correct? Like host a game? Or do you have to find an empty server?

Haven't tried out yet, but it should be possible. If not, you need a little program called Hamachi which creates a virtual LAN and you can play that way.

Yes of course you and 1 or more friends can just play between yourselves one hosting the game and the other joining :)

Yes of course you and 1 or more friends can just play between yourselves one hosting the game and the other joining :)

Thank you, as that was the main reason I got the game was to play coop with my buddy from the 101st. :bounce3:

:(

Hi, really love this game, it's a masterpiece, however patch 1.02 made it much worse for me. ArmAIIMark shows an average of 2-3 FPS drop (before 25 now 22-23) and the game has also become very, very stuttering. Seems like the textures load really slow and that's when it stutters. Very noticeable when you move around. The sounds are also delayed because of CPU overload I guess.

It is now almost unplayable... Not Good !!!

My specs:

Dell XPS 420

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, 3.0 GHz

3.00 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (182.50 drivers)

Tried 186.18 drivers - No difference.

Really hope this performance issue will not last, I was looking forward to some serious MP campaign designing.

Try a defrag on drive arma2 is at, I noticed my games drive went from 0% fragmentation to 62% fragmentation after installing the patch, after a defrag runs sooo much better :)

:(

Hi, really love this game, it's a masterpiece, however patch 1.02 made it much worse for me. ArmAIIMark shows an average of 2-3 FPS drop (before 25 now 22-23) and the game has also become very, very stuttering. Seems like the textures load really slow and that's when it stutters. Very noticeable when you move around. The sounds are also delayed because of CPU overload I guess.

It is now almost unplayable... Not Good !!!

My specs:

Dell XPS 420

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, 3.0 GHz

3.00 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (182.50 drivers)

Tried 186.18 drivers - No difference.

Really hope this performance issue will not last, I was looking forward to some serious MP campaign designing.

Try not using a Dell

Try not using a Dell

I don't have a Dell and I have the same experience.

Try not using a Dell

So your theory is that specifically a Dell computer for some reason can't handle patch 1.02 :rolleyes:

Tell me more...

I tried enabling AA in the .cfg file, but now have corruption/artifacts in me graphics.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? (I am running a overclocked nvidia 285 graphics)

I also seem to be experiencing increased stuttering, apparently from texture and/or model streaming. Framerates are better while standing still, but moving around fast doesn't feel as smooth as it was before. I took Obroa's advice and defragmented my hard drive but the problem was not completely solved (though there does appear to be a slight improvement).

I'm running the game off a WD Raptor, so it can't really be due to a slow HD. :(

ok, reinstalling v1.01 here

why ?

After some different experiences with a highly dynamic AI scripted mission i finally noticed that these deadly APCs from 1.01 seem almost non existent any more most of the time !

Then I tried this, just do it, if interested:

In the editor place one BMP2, skill 100%, facing to the west on the east side of the Utes runway and play a BlueFor Rifleman placed behind the southern hangar, approx 200m away from the BMP2.

Now start the preview in veteran mode and RUN towards the BMP.

It instantly sees you, noticable by switching on the engine and turning the cupola towards you.

But it does nothing !

You can even run some steps forward and make some nice gymnastics, Mr. BMP2 mere observes you, lol

Now fire one shot at it (not beneath it, it will still ignore you, lol) - your instantly shot.

great ?

Now give yourself any AT weapon and repeat the lesson.

Nothing changes - with one "tiny" difference: if your first shot is a SMAW instead of a rifle shot, you will not recieve a answer this time :-\

Try it, you you have all the time you want. Mr. BMP is not very picky in 1.02 :p

BIS, please give us that SUPERB AI from 1.01 back !!

All those discussions about "cheating AI" and the like can easily been clearifyed if the missions are desgined accordingly, using the methods already present like skill AimingAccuracy and such

No need to dumb a almost perfect AI down !

Just my 2 ..

So your theory is that specifically a Dell computer for some reason can't handle patch 1.02 :rolleyes:

Tell me more...

Just put a little tape over the labels, that should do it.

An update to my v1.02 impression:

Aside from the serious drop in performance I now get with the large mission I created and played with v1.01, with out any problems with all settings maxed out, I must say the AI seems much improved. Maybe I just caught the AI on a good day but their vehicle skills are much better.

More so, I'm incredibly impressed by the BIS dev team. You guys really can't be beat. The fact you implemented some of the changes we've been talking about since v1.01 in such a timely manner does more for my impression of A2 than anything else. The fact that we can see you guys around the forums and that you get involved in discussions to provide help, etc. needs to be applauded.

Thanks fellas.

MadDogX,

I got a Raptor as well. I get the exact same thing going on with v1.02. You explained much better then I did. :)

Edited by Manzilla

LOL. That's my personal hatred of Dell. Working with and for Dell. I'm not very happy with the company.

Try not using a Dell

If you have nothing constructive to add to the topic then don't post please, otherwise it's spam which is against the forum rules.

Have to say after the patch came out it is almost working perfect for me, a really nice patch. i was pissed at first when game didnt work good at all, but the patch solved 95% of my issues. again GJ patch guys!

The new patch is great for me! There is a slight performance increase, most notable on the GPU side of things rather than CPU. The game is smoother, and everything looks a little nicer too :)

Lots of bugs have been fixed, *however*:

Game logic is totally unusable. It would apear the patch has made som weird/funky adjustments to the unit placement of game logic, it no longer exists, its just a blank white space.

Other than that, great work guys, thanks for this awesome simulation!

richiespeed13 and Swedda,

This is weird...

Could you please post your specs?

The new patch is great for me! There is a slight performance increase, most notable on the GPU side of things rather than CPU. The game is smoother, and everything looks a little nicer too :)

Lots of bugs have been fixed, *however*:

Game logic is totally unusable. It would apear the patch has made som weird/funky adjustments to the unit placement of game logic, it no longer exists, its just a blank white space.

Other than that, great work guys, thanks for this awesome simulation!

There is now an extra section for game modules under the others (Units, Waypoints, Synchronization etc.), with the hotkey "F7". :)