Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Oddly enough, I'm still seeing AI walk through fences and the occasional car. I think the accuracy of the AI has somehow increased too, not sure how... time to fiddle with settings I think. :p

yea, having good results with randomizing accuracy between 0.01 and 0.2, rarely above by use of skill["AimingAccuracy",value].

"AimingShake" doesnt make sense below 0.05 (almost doesnt shoot) and I use to randomize it up to 0.5

Hey ya'll.... loving the 1.02 patch already but i have a slight problem. i have scowered this topic and saw that a few others have it and there was a possible fix but it did not work for me...

My problem is with FSAA turned on in the .cfg file and making sure that "Read Only" is unchecked. then by going into the game and turning shadows to disabled since they wont be used anyway......... i get graphic artifacts that look like my whole screen is a screen door........ :( i made sure the .cfg file is non read only. anyone have a clue? i'm at work now but i can post a screenshot when i get home.

I have just installed patch 1.02 and got a couple of questions

(1)Where exactly do i find the .cfg file so I can enable AA?(I cant seem to find it anywhere in my directory!!?)

(2)Where has the fillrate option disappeared to in game options it I read a post that said it had now been moved to a combo box?.....what does this mean and where can I find it and change it (i.e set it to 150 or 200 as I was able to do before??)

Arma 2 is mainly developed for the X-Box.

Based on what?

Firstly, the fact that Arma2 uses a PC platform based engine and UI that has been under development for many years is strong evidence to the contrary. Secondly, the X-box version isn't even finished. Thus it makes little sense to accuse Arma2 of being a lame console port.

Over the years lots of decent games (or should have been) have been watered down, and ruined in order to cater for the console market. COD 2, Crysis, Oblivion to name the worst effected.

Weird, Crysis isn't even available on consoles.

The menues are designed to work with a x-box controller, the vehicals are totaly useless to controll with a mouse, plug an X-box controller in and they drive well.

Considering the fact that the command menus work almost identically to the ones in OFP and Arma1 I find your statement puzzling. Furthermore, the vechicles have always been clumsy to steer. I find that the controls have been improved in Arma2.

Arma 2 leaves you with flat GRAW type towns, optomised for the same X-box controller.

I don't understand your point. What makes towns built on level ground optimised for the X-box controller? I don't see the connection. I would also argue that there are towns built on uneven ground in the game. Furthermore, the whole area is based on real life area. I think the builders would be surprised to know that they've catered to an X-box audience when they've built the towns and cities.:D

As a big fan of the original Arma, my wish list (the improvements that I would really have dreamed of) consisted of - better AI, more vehicals and guns, and better animation. Arma 2 does bring a few new things, but with it comes all the compatability problems, huge system load, and nasty features such as bloom and blur (sorted in the patch). I think most of these features were not needed. The AI is still a nightmare, the new guns and vehicals few.

Now, this I consider to be a valid opinion and you're entitled to it. Many people, however, would disagree with you. I would say that the AI is better, there are a lot more vechicles than in OFP or Arma, and there are better animations and sound effects.

But as a hardcore fan of Arma 1, and PC gaming as a whole, I wish that developers would concentrate on playing to the strengths of the PC, and not the watering down needed to make a cross platform release.

You haven't really pointed out any aspects of the game that are watered down from the previous releases. In fact, I put it to you that BIS has included several features that increase the depth of the game (for example, high command mode).

Edited by lapa

I'm getting freezes (which result in me having to force end from the task manager) playing the campaign. Happens about every 5 minutes. Not sure what 1.02 did to start this.

I'm getting freezes (which result in me having to force end from the task manager) playing the campaign. Happens about every 5 minutes. Not sure what 1.02 did to start this.

gfx card overheating ?

gfx card overheating ?

Never been a problem before. Temperatures read normal. It's only started since the 1.02 patch.

It's a GTX 260/core 216, which don't really have the overheating problems of the ATI cards.

If it were the graphics card alone, I'd imagine you'd see some corruption when I ctrl, alt, del out to windows but everything works fine. Just the game itself freezes up.

Overall, the changes with 1.02 seem great. Just gotta get it running stable.

I'm gonna update to Nvidia's latest drivers and see if that changes anything.

I want to now something before I install this game on windows 7. Is there any limitation(505 version) about how many installation you can do? Or is just cd key check?

Enough with the running/freezing ++++ ... Can people try to tell something about the GAMEPLAY in this patch? Maybe a new AI video?

pretty much the same.... the patch was for some bugs and campaign fixes. lol

anyone figure out how to get the screen door graphics artifact to go away? yes i have tried making my .cfg file non read only by reading through this thread

Edited by DFA_Graywo1f

pretty much the same.... the patch was for some bugs and campaign fixes. lol
But it was supposed to improve AI driving skill and it would nice to hear (or see) something about that.

plenty of people have already reported that in this same topic. its amazing what the "Previous page" Button does. But yes AI driving has improved immensely.

Over the years lots of decent games (or should have been) have been watered down, and ruined in order to cater for the console market. COD 2, Crysis, Oblivion to name the worst effected.
Weird, Crysis isn't even available on consoles.

lol, someone got owned.

Not many games is built with only PC in their mind, but Crysis is.

From scratch they designed it to PC ONLY.

Edited by Blackbird_CaD_

I want to now something before I install this game on windows 7. Is there any limitation(505 version) about how many installation you can do? Or is just cd key check?

With the DVD version there is no limit. Only the digital has limited activations.

Wow what a game!

A more polished and fun version of ArmA2.

The bugs are hardly noticeable and the immersion and graphics are amazing, the maps are fantastic as well. Didn't really get a chance at the AI, some had a few bugs, like just looking at me, but I saw a group of them pepper potting accross a field, they were insane!

i noticed the Russian AI dont follow waypoint orders. is this just me or is anyone else having this bug atm? other than that this game is excellent

Crysis 2 is going to be with consoles too though.

and that's why it won't look any better than crysis 1 tho. :rolleyes:

On-topic: I like 1.02, but I kind of get a feeling that AI just become easier or something. I don't know. They seem less impressive than in 1.01, so until 1.03, I think I'm going back to 1.01.

But it was supposed to improve AI driving skill and it would nice to hear (or see) something about that.

Yes its clearly better when driving one car or truck.

I noticed that when one AI team member got his usual task to redeploy our ammo truck. Its noticably better than in 1.01.

Still irritating is the behaviour of an AI group convoy (>1) in safe mode driving wheeled vehicles on roads.

I'm not sure if there is a bit of improvement compared with 1.01 but generally its still painful to look at compared to OF :-)

Bring it on:) All this time i have been reading the wrong thread:)

Perhaps we can ignore the trolls and stick to giving feedback on ArmA2 based on 1.02 please :)

The patch improves some things, but not enough, I guess patience is needed.

I have got myself into trouble on these forums by being direct in my critisisms of the new game, but I have one more critisism, ill make it my last.

The original game Arma was very PC centric, and being a PC gamer im all for games that are developed solely for the platform.

These titles brought to the fold features that were not present in the earlier game, that were solely aimed to please console owners. As a result I felt very much let down as a fan of the original games.

Now with Arma 2 im again feeling let down. Im sure many will not relate to my gripes, but consider these points.

The menues are designed to work with a x-box controller, the vehicals are totaly useless to controll with a mouse, plug an X-box controller in and they drive well. The towns are all on one level, unlike Arma 1, where the streets were at different heights, with small hills to climb. This made Sahrani a varied place to explore and made your approach to the missions varied. Arma 2 leaves you with flat GRAW type towns, optomised for the same X-box controller.

As a big fan of the original Arma, my wish list (the improvements that I would really have dreamed of) consisted of - better AI, more vehicals and guns, and better animation. Arma 2 does bring a few new things, but with it comes all the compatability problems, huge system load, and nasty features such as bloom and blur (sorted in the patch). I think most of these features were not needed. The AI is still a nightmare, the new guns and vehicals few.

I dont believe the Original game needed such an overhall of the engine, just some exciting new features.

As a whole then I belive this to be X-Box arma, designed to cater for the games controller, with its framerate caps, and fillrate instead of AA.

Sure I understand that as developers you wish to greatly increase sales, and as nothing like Arma 2 has ever appeared on the consoles, its an oportunity that shouldnt be missed. But as a hardcore fan of Arma 1, and PC gaming as a whole, I wish that developers would concentrate on playing to the strengths of the PC, and not the watering down needed to make a cross platform release. And also not constantly developing games that need hundreds of pounds spending on PC hardware to make them run as they should.

Those are my final critisism's, I look forward to decent patches, and hopefully the mod comunity will bring this game back into my perspective. Ill cu online in MP, cos I aint abandoned all hope yet.

This game aint even confirmed for the consoles yet, no release date, no console screenshots, previews etc