Sign in to follow this  
Herbal Influence

3rd person versus Egoshootermode

May I ask how you disabled it so I can do it on our network?

Cheers :bounce3:

This you do from your Server.ArmA2Profile.

There are a section with the different difficulty settings, you have to edit all or at least those you want.

class Difficulties
{
   class recruit
   {
       class Flags
       {
           Armor=1;
           FriendlyTag=0;
           EnemyTag=0;
           HUD=1;
           HUDPerm=1;
           HUDWp=1;
           HUDWpPerm=1;
           HUDGroupInfo=1;
           AutoSpot=0;
           Map=1;
           WeaponCursor=1;
           AutoGuideAT=1;
           ClockIndicator=1;
           3rdPersonView=0;
           Tracers=1;
           UltraAI=0;
           AutoAim=0;
           UnlimitedSaves=1;
           DeathMessages=1;
           NetStats=1;
           VonID=1;
       };
       skillFriendly=0.80000001;
       skillEnemy=0.80000001;
       precisionFriendly=0.30000001;
       precisionEnemy=0.30000001;
   };
   class regular
   {
       class Flags
       {
           Armor=1;
           FriendlyTag=0;
           EnemyTag=0;
           HUD=1;
           HUDPerm=0;
           HUDWp=1;
           HUDWpPerm=1;
           HUDGroupInfo=0;
           AutoSpot=0;
           Map=1;
           WeaponCursor=1;
           AutoGuideAT=0;
           ClockIndicator=1;
           3rdPersonView=0;
           Tracers=1;
           UltraAI=0;
           AutoAim=0;
           UnlimitedSaves=1;
           DeathMessages=1;
           NetStats=1;
           VonID=1;
       };
       skillEnemy=0.80000001;
       precisionFriendly=0.5;
       precisionEnemy=0.5;
   };
   class veteran
   {
       class Flags
       {
           HUD=1;
           HUDGroupInfo=0;
           WeaponCursor=1;
           3rdPersonView=0;
           UltraAI=0;
           DeathMessages=0;
           NetStats=0;
           VonID=0;
       };
       skillEnemy=0.80000001;
       precisionFriendly=0.69999999;
       precisionEnemy=0.69999999;
   };
   class mercenary
   {
       class Flags
       {
           UltraAI=0;
           DeathMessages=0;
           NetStats=0;
           VonID=0;
       };
       skillFriendly=1;
       skillEnemy=1;
       precisionFriendly=1;
       precisionEnemy=1;
   };
};

The tag your looking for is "3rdPersonView=0;", only the class "mercenary" is not abel to adjust setting.

This is just an exampel. I need to adjust a lot more to make this config work ok. I don't want AutoGuideAT and other settings. It's just so you know what tolook for.

I try to play only on servers with 3rd person view on, especially since i low watching my choppers. aircraft models in 3d person, they are so pretty :D

I read what your saying, but as an admin, I'm not going to enable 3rd person view.

EVER...

Same :) from our clans point of views it has many more unreleastic points to good points..

Same with crosshair! although that can be argued we like to get people to use ironsights

.... I was a crew chief in a Blackhawk for several years in real life. The view and perspective you get in the cockpit view is nothing close to the real thing. In real life you have crew chiefs on both sides of your aircraft telling you where you are, calling you into LZs, etc. The only way I will fly a helicopter is in 3rd person view.

That's a statement !

And let me add as a simple footpassenger (infantry man) I once was, down in the streets of our city hastingly checking all the beautiful girls while shopping:

The egoshooterview is nothing close to the real thing.

I wouldn't have found my beautiful wife doing the egoshootermode all the time. ;-)

And for our Youngsters: You notice when your Ma comes in your room even if she is very slow and silent. You see her in the corners of your eyes when she is on the line of your both shoulders, 90 degree from your viewing line.

You won't see her if your natural view would be the no-third-view, the egoshootermode.

I respect the tunnelviewers, but I want to stress the fact, that the tunnel- or egoshootermode is far from being realistic: Nobody, especially being in danger, would like to wear a mask on his face, giving only a tunnel view. With horses you call that "blinders".

I have a 22'' monitor - so don't think the size of the monitor is of any help.

Again and again, the disadvantages overcome the advantages, even in terms of realism.

+ BI has put these nifty out-of-view presence indicators, making you know your character is feeling his surroundings

I agree on that one. I have no problem with that.

But tha clan I represent have agreed upon that to look over walls and around corner is much more anoying than 1 pilot that can not land his chopper.

We choose to disable it to prevent "cheating" in PvP.

... + BI has put these nifty out-of-view presence indicators, making you know your character is feeling his surroundings

Sorry - what you mean ? Which indicators?

Hi, i've never used the 3Rd Person View to look above a hill, wall, object or whatever; i've

always used it to have a better awareness when driving a Tank, APC or any other vehicle

that in the ArmA don't had a vehicle interior; back in the OFP as the tanks had a interior...

i never used it. The pilots don't have mirrors in the real life, so i never used it to land or

crash a helo, i guess that not everyone isn't "as clean" as me when playing and they use

dirty tricks, i know; will be good if the 3Rd Person View could only be enabled for those

operating vehicles. Let's C ya

Sorry - what you mean ? Which indicators?

Green, white or red misty dots appearing at the edge of the screen, indicating friendly, unknown or ennemy presence at the side where it appears

Green, white or red misty dots appearing at the edge of the screen, indicating friendly, unknown or ennemy presence at the side where it appears

Ooopps ... I didn't yet realize / see them ... perhaps my resolution doesn't fit the monitor size ... and they were "thrown over the corner" arrrgh ??!

"some kind of guy" gave this hint earlier in this thread too, but I couldn't find them.

Doesn't ARMA 2 have "peripheral vision dots" at the screen edges to indicate the presence of people and vehicles that your character can "sense" or otherwise knows about but can't see?

Edit:

Watch that nice video

and you see what I mean with "nervous and steady head turning" may it be through <alt> and <mouse> or by IR5 like in the video. After watching it I do feel seasick.

And by the by: there are no "green, white or red misty dots appearing at the edge of the screen" or are they deactivated?

Edited by Herbal Influence
yes! ;-)

Game difficulty option may disable them, I'm not sure

Even tho im pro realism, I quite like the 3rd person view.. No head bobbing.. When you roll, the screen don't roll with you.. etc etc.. It just feels smoother *sorry*

Please find recent commentaries on third view vs. egoshooterview, i.e. the shark-problem by the developers themselves:

FOV issues are no excuse for 3rd person. Instead they should fix the FOV so max zoomed out mode will compress a 120deg view into your monitor, and you'll be able to "zoom" (reduce FOV) to see distant objects. You can't have both, 3rd person or not, so having 3rd person doesn't solve that.

3rd person only lets you see things from angels that you would otherwise not be able to see, which is unrealistic. It' mostly for seeing around corners, above grass etc. Combined with crosshairs it feels like you're playing an old platform game with pretty graphics, on top of giving you abilities that no human has IRL.

When driving/flying, IRL the view is ALSO limited. Why do you think people make car accidents or have trouble parking IRL? Not to mention in tanks the crew is nearly blind. The driver drives almost exclusively based on commander input, preferably with the commander sitting with his head outside of the hatch so that he can really see around when possible. And if you really want to have the view yourself you can open your hatch and take your head out as well. Of course, remember to keep mouse (or trackIR) freelook on when driving, and use keyboard/joystick/other to actually steer.

The game is more than perfectly playable without 3rd person. There's no reason to argue for it that isn't in fact saying "I want an easy arcade mode and not a realistic simulation". Which is OK to say, I guess, but personally I will avoid servers with such players like the plague. It's not what I bought Arma 2 for.

3rd Person worst problem is that you can see around the corners without exposing your body to fire. However the good thing about 3rd Person view it gives you better situation avernes, then FPV. And with that in my i would argue 3rd Person is more realistic the FPV. Think about real life, you vision is not limited like it is in FPV.

I hate that everyone uses 3rd person. Alone the fact that it lets you see around corners is bad enough. First person view is already far more flexible in arma 2 than in many other games so 3rd person is really only for people who can't fight properly.

3rd Person worst problem is that you can see around the corners without exposing your body to fire. However the good thing about 3rd Person view it gives you better situation avernes, then FPV. And with that in my i would argue 3rd Person is more realistic the FPV. Think about real life, you vision is not limited like it is in FPV.

I would re-post the same thing over again but considering it's just one post above yours, you may want to go and read it...

Actually, I read that. My post is a counter argument to his pro 3rd person one.

There's a massive difference between situational awareness and seeing around corners without exposing yourself. If you're whining about a small field of view then simply move your mouse a bit or use freelook. It's more than enough.

Edited by RasdenFasden

3rd person view is for NOOBS! And for SOCOM (PlaySyation series) fan boys.

Actually, I read that. My post is a counter argument to his pro 3rd person one.

There's a massive difference between situational awareness and seeing around corners without exposing yourself. If you're whining about a small field of view then simply move your mouse a bit or use freelook. It's more than enough.

I wasn't quoting your post, lol...

I agree zoomout and freelook are what you should use, not 3rd person. 3rd person doesn't give you much more FOV anyway, it just gives you other cheats.

I'd happily only use 1st person the moment we get the option to disable just motion blur. I like the effect bloom gives, but I prefer not to bleed out of my eyeballs every time I move my head in 1st person. Its not particularly realistic, unless we where to assume that your character have a constant headache or a serious inner ear problem.

I'd happily only use 1st person the moment we get the option to disable just motion blur. I like the effect bloom gives, but I prefer not to bleed out of my eyeballs every time I move my head in 1st person. Its not particularly realistic, unless we where to assume that your character have a constant headache or a serious inner ear problem.

Bloom is disgusting too, just disable post processing.

Oh, and whoops to galzohar :P

FOV issues are no excuse for 3rd person. Instead they should fix the FOV so max zoomed out mode will compress a 120deg view into your monitor, and you'll be able to "zoom" (reduce FOV) to see distant objects. You can't have both, 3rd person or not, so having 3rd person doesn't solve that.

3rd person only lets you see things from angels that you would otherwise not be able to see, which is unrealistic. It' mostly for seeing around corners, above grass etc. Combined with crosshairs it feels like you're playing an old platform game with pretty graphics, on top of giving you abilities that no human has IRL.

When driving/flying, IRL the view is ALSO limited. Why do you think people make car accidents or have trouble parking IRL? Not to mention in tanks the crew is nearly blind. The driver drives almost exclusively based on commander input, preferably with the commander sitting with his head outside of the hatch so that he can really see around when possible. And if you really want to have the view yourself you can open your hatch and take your head out as well. Of course, remember to keep mouse (or trackIR) freelook on when driving, and use keyboard/joystick/other to actually steer.

The game is more than perfectly playable without 3rd person. There's no reason to argue for it that isn't in fact saying "I want an easy arcade mode and not a realistic simulation". Which is OK to say, I guess, but personally I will avoid servers with such players like the plague. It's not what I bought Arma 2 for.

I appreciate your post.

And I think your idea oft a good zoom in/out could be a solution to that problem of situational awareness which I feel is unnaturally decreased by the egoshooterview.

To me it is important that people realize that it's not simply like that:

3rd person view = noobmode and egotshooterview = realistic mode

With egoshooterview you have a tunnelview that's completely unrealistic and dangerous (shark attacking from aside = unvisble), so you would never chose that in a real combat situation.

The simulation of the natural situational awareness is difficult because it consists of so many senses man has developed during evolution just to survive: natural viewing angle more than 180 degree + smelling + stereo (even spatial !) hearing + senses for vibration/shaking of the ground + wind (e.g. from a passing vehicle or explosion) + etc.

Indeed you cannot see "round" the corner but there are many senses that might give you information there is something moving there you don't get being only in egoshooterview.

And the needed constant head turning ... it makes me seasick. The IRpro or the <alt>-key doesn't help - it's even worse then.

Above in this thread you also find a statement of a former blackhawk pilot saying that egoshooterview is quite unrealistic - at least while in vehicle.

Don't mix "complicated" or "handicapped" with "more realistic".

I appreciate your post.

And I think your idea oft a good zoom in/out could be a solution to that problem of situational awareness which I feel is unnaturally decreased by the egoshooterview.

To me it is important that people realize that it's not simply like that:

3rd person view = noobmode and egotshooterview = realistic mode

With egoshooterview you have a tunnelview that's completely unrealistic and dangerous (shark attacking from aside = unvisble), so you would never chose that in a real combat situation.

The simulation of the natural situational awareness is difficult because it consists of so many senses man has developed during evolution just to survive: natural viewing angle more than 180 degree + smelling + stereo (even spatial !) hearing + senses for vibration/shaking of the ground + wind (e.g. from a passing vehicle or explosion) + etc.

Indeed you cannot see "round" the corner but there are many senses that might give you information there is something moving there you don't get being only in egoshooterview.

And the needed constant head turning ... it makes me seasick. The IRpro or the <alt>-key doesn't help - it's even worse then.

Above in this thread you also find a statement of a former blackhawk pilot saying that egoshooterview is quite unrealistic - at least while in vehicle.

Don't mix "complicated" or "handicapped" with "more realistic".

This whole perpheral vision and extra senses thing is nothing more than an excuse to use 3rd person. You can track an enemy's footsteps with stereo headphones well enough and there is no sense that tells you whether or not an enemy is round a corner. If we would have that imagine how easy hide and seek would've been when you were a kid. Your FOV in real life is only where you're actually focusing, the outer areas at the corner of your eye are practically ignored so having a huge field of view simply makes no sense.

1st person is good enough for infantry. FOV and all that is nothing but an excuse. The only time where it's not enough is flying an aircraft and that's only due to the lack of 6DOF.

Edited by RasdenFasden

Your FOV in real life is only where you're actually focusing, the outer areas at the corner of your eye are practically ignored so having a huge field of view simply makes no sense.

I think this is not entirely true. Think about driving a car in real life with your 180degrees field of view. You may be concentrating on the road ahead, allowing your brain to ignore what you see with the corner of your eye. So far you're right.

But as soon as your eyes detect MOVEMENT in any area of your FOV, your brain will be put in a state of alert allowing you to analyze the situation at hand.

You can easily verify this if you limit your FOV and walk around. (I strongly suggest to refrain from driving while making this experiment). As soon as your peripheral sight is limited you will feel very strange and you will start moving your head in all directions. Most people will want to regain their normal field of view after a very short time.

What does this mean in terms of gameplay? The FOV should be as wide as possible (zoom out as far as ArmA2 lets you) when walking around. If you notice any movement, zoom in on this object and identify it. I don't own TIR, but from what I read it the zooming feature of this device seems to simulate this quite comfortably.