Sign in to follow this  
STALKERGB

WIP British 4 Rifle Soldiers

It's not exactly as simple as .

Whilst I personally wouldn't be opposed in principle, I don't think it's necessarily right to expect an addon maker to do more work just to support the whims of a proportionally small group of end users. If everyone else wants them, then fine; although it's still Stalkers choice, there is at least a general consensus. What you're seeing here though are a group of people who think it's pointless and thus don't want to see Stalker waste time on it when we're all eager for release.

Personally i'm in two minds. From the point of view of making realistic units, even in training it wouldn't be much use; I've worn a beret on training only when generally mincing around or listening to a lecture. As soon as things are considered 'tactical', it's beret off, Mk6 on. StalkerGB has done a fantastic job so far of getting everything right, and I can understand if people start getting alarmed at the prospect of him being misled.

From the other point of view, the view that says "let people choose", well, I see your point.

In sum, it wouldn't be realistic to have units wearing berets for 90% of tasks that are possible ingame, and I can understand the reservations people hold; but I can also see the appeal of having the option......my suggestion would be to leave 'features' like this to a 1.1 release and get the important things done first. But at the end of the day all this is pretty much hyperbole, Stalker will decide what Stalker does. Just saying, don't misunderstand peoples objections...

That's well put Pathy. I have no objections to be being added in a later release - and believe its a great idea, end of the day it's up to Stalker, we were just wondering if he could!

Edited by Smuke

So Stryder, you are asking for extra features on this pack but it's nothing to do with this pack?

As for comments straight off ARRSE - ARRSE is full of walts and BNP airsofters with very few serving soldiers, some of us have slightly more insight than that wot we got from the internetz. Prydain might have even spoken to some such people in real life.

Ignoring all of your childish wit fails, I don't think anyone has really set out to criticise your clan's style of play. Just the fact that you are trying to put silly things into an addonmakers head.

Nothing is clear bar the fact that you've just spammed this thread by insulting everyone who questioned your demands.

And for the record, I love the gays, I showered with at least one for years.

arent we a big happy family

just let the man do what he wants, simple as

Stalker, if you're reading from this point on, don't read the past page, it'll be a waste of time

It's not exactly as simple as .

Whilst I personally wouldn't be opposed in principle, I don't think it's necessarily right to expect an addon maker to do more work just to support the whims of a proportionally small group of end users. If everyone else wants them, then fine; although it's still Stalkers choice,

Re-read the post - the idea is that he leaves one unit kit without any headgear. that was the request. it shouldn't adversely affect anyone, and I think it's up to Stalker, not the small but loud Brit community of ARMA II gamers (not a bad thing at all, speak up or nothing gets done I say) to shout me down like i'm some kind of paint licking gay-soldier-enacting mod-fascist. I'm sorry Volcbat et al has hijacked this to talk about 'realism' and how other clans should play the game as Brits and respect their 'brand' of realism. I am actually sorry I criticized what you do with that 'roger' joke, and take that back, but I think you get the point... We aren't all the same.

I think it's a shame as we all just want Brit units, and divisiveness like this is unfortunate. I'm sure you're all for the community but try to respect others. I'm no jumped up wanna-be soldier telling people what whims i want, and claiming I know everything (I really don't) thats why I made a constructive suggestion. The very fact i had to make rebuttals speaks volumes about - We all know no better than each other if we cant understand each others requests. I hope you see that!

I'm surprised anyone picked up on my original premise negatively and a bit saddened but this is why i try never to get involved with online communities - I have fallen into the trap of finally finding a game i like. It seems to happen every time a suggestion is made on these boards - from now on I will do as I have done before and offer help (i do texture editing) and requests directly, away from where it could offend your community views.

:) have a nice sunday chappies. I know we all love the 'forum-board' action. :p

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

So Stryder, you are asking for extra features on this pack but it's nothing to do with this pack?

As for comments straight off ARRSE - ARRSE is full of walts and BNP airsofters with very few serving soldiers, some of us have slightly more insight than that wot we got from the internetz. Prydain might have even spoken to some such people in real life.

Ignoring all of your childish wit fails, I don't think anyone has really set out to criticise your clan's style of play. Just the fact that you are trying to put silly things into an addonmakers head.

Nothing is clear bar the fact that you've just spammed this thread by insulting everyone who questioned your demands.

And for the record, I love the gays, I showered with at least one for years.

Oh and just one quickie Uncle, I actually wished you luck with your modding, I had no ill feelings at all towards what you said - I am happy to report those issues shouldn't be a problem from my experience with ARMAII engine. :yay: so no need for that - I dont take exception to anything you said, so I think it's a bit sad you took exception to me, picking up on your esteemed friend's comments to defend.

This isn't about imposing Volcbat policies and "realism" ideaologies onto people, it's about the request of berets.

The VCB members felt they needed to make a point about Berets not being that "realistic" owing to the lack of use in combat/for anything that could be dangerous. - Based on some of their own personal experiences within the Armed forces

At no point did they say, YOU MUST NOT HAVE BERETS, on the contrary some of us support/took an interest in the idea.

At the end of the day StalkerGB is to decide what HE wants.

Edited by somebloke
added some more lines

I only recently entered this forum and have read all 72 pages of this topic before i first added something.

wich it seems i better did not...

Nieuw-1fhhhggbbbb.jpg

one thing before i shutt up and wait untill stalkerGB's (finnished as he wants it)mod comes out;

"StalkerGB,Wooooow!you're the best!"

I only recently entered this forum and have read all 72 pages of this topic before i first added something.

wich it seems i better did not...

Hey Recon, sent you a Private Message in response - for the record to others i didn't mean to insult you in any way, and what you said was interesting and useful, and that i'm sorry you got the wrong end of the ugly forum-stick here! :o

Yeah don't let anyone bully you into feeling your opinions don't count. Some around here tend to be aggressive but for the most part most of us don't bite, unless we've been locked in a box under the stairs of stalker's basement and not been fed in days. Believe it or not, while calories are low, the occasional spider is not all that filling. :(

Edited by Yokhanan
spelling boo-boo

@Recon,

I indirectly disagreed with you, but it was not intended in a rude fashion, but rather based on my own training experiences. I hope you do not feel this is 'shouting down' your suggestions, I apologise if it came across that way.

Edited by Pathy

hey stalker,A little remark on the size of the L85,maybe it has to be like this in order to be able to put the models hands on the foregrip(what do i know about that?)but i think you modded the weapon a little out of size.

the real one is 780 mm (709 mm in Carbine variant,not shown here).

below there's a pic to comparis your rifle(top) with a real size one in the same angle(bottom) both layd flat for comparison.

l85size.jpg

not offending your work,only trying to help.:pet6:

Edited by airsoft recon

hey stalker,A little remark on the size of the L85,maybe it has to be like this in order to be able to put the models hands on the foregrip(what do i know about that?)but i think you modded the weapon a little out of size.

the real one is 780 mm (709 mm in Carbine variant,not shown here).

below there's a pic to comparis your rifle(top) with a real size one in the same angle(bottom) both layd flat for comparison.

l85size.jpg

not offending your work,only trying to help.:pet6:

Can't really see much of a difference in that picture mate, I think you're gonna have to make it a little bit bigger for us to see any noticeable difference (or is it just me?)

Well the photo shows that a real L85 is like 20% longer/bigger ^^

Well correct me if im wrong, but I dont think stalker made the pukf weapons.

Well correct me if im wrong, but I dont think stalker made the pukf weapons.

He didn't, but the weapon in the pic people are discussing isn't from the P:UKF pack, it's Stalker's converted+modified SA80 from Project Reality. ;)

Well the photo shows that a real L85 is like 20% longer/bigger ^^

no,the way around...:)

the upper is the model

the lower is the real one

Nieuw-1rdgdrgdyy.jpg

but the diference would not afect the beauty of the entire mod,unless you're a diehard(wich i'm not).

Edited by airsoft recon

Your problem there mate is the images are not exactly to scale, so the photograph may make the L85 look smaller than it actually is. :)

Could you post the image again not in thumbnail size? I can see it, but not very well

There are other factors that could make the weapon seem bigger/smaller in different photos - personally if you were to post 4 real photos for comparison i'd probably be convinced. Things like the size of the man carrying it, the size of his hands, any other angular or photographic distortion could all make the weapon bigger/smaller. not mentioning the fact that the donor photo might be a slight variant with different specs :p

Scale is a hard thing to get right, and I would personally rather any modeller exagerrated the size +/-10% just to make the animations fit better, however I wouldn't hesitate to support your assertion that the scale might well be wrong. :)

Firstly, on the issue of leaving a units without a helmet/hat on, it won't be in an initial release, although it does just sound like removing the helmet from one guy its quite a bit more than that, mainly sorting out texture issues relating to nohq's and so on (as Uncle Imshi was getting at). After the initial release I will probably get round to it but at the moment I'm working hard to get rid of any issues before release (an example is that ALL desert units until recently didnt line Iron sights up properly).

In terms of the SA80s, I'm not one for pin point accuracy but they are pretty close to the real life measurement.

In the image below the M4 is about 34cm (RL ones on my computer, it most likely is different for you).Tthis particular M4 is 838mm in real life as the stock is FULLY extended. so each cm is 24.6mm, the red line is where my SA80s come up to if both butts of the weapons are in the same spot, the red line is 2.2cm shorter than the M4 so thats 54.2mm shorter meaning that my SA80s are about 784mm in length and I believe in real life its 785. so pretty close.

It just looks longer because of the resolution I used to take then screenshots on, and that the reference image is slightly different in proportion to my pic.

sa80length2.jpg

Hope that helps people :)

Matt

Edited by STALKERGB
Proper size check, 785mm

that says it all!

1-you know what you are doing

2-i made some rapid conclusions due to the resolution

keep up the good work!

that says it all!

1-you know what you are doing

2-i made some rapid conclusions due to the resolution

keep up the good work!

To be honest I hadn't checked before to see how long my rifles were in quite a while and they have been resized a few times through the course of me editing them :) so its lucky they were pretty close!

Easy assumption to make too, looking at the pics my rifles do look quite long.

Anyway, as for the mod itself, still chigging along, lots f annoying little things that need sorting...

here is a good sized picture of the SA80.... I dont understand what the issue is regarding the size. The rail however, might be a tad big, but the length of the rifle seems spot on

s7000396.th.jpg

s7000397.th.jpg

s7000398.th.jpg

hey STALKERGB the units are realy cool and i cant wait to use them in my upcoming desert missions, having previous combat experience i have a few trix up my sleeve for realism, anyway i was wondering what kind of weapon sounds you are going to use for your weapons and im hoping they will be good.

if you contact me i have various ideas for the l85 sounds....?