Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

Rotor collision

Want rotor collision?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Want rotor collision?

• YES
    • NO

Yes, thats what I'm saying. Its not right that the helo should bounce on the rotors. They should get damaged (removed/damage model) so they no longer work.

The damage could increase (lift reduced) for each with the rotor. The number of contacts and severity before failure could depend on the difficulty setting.

Edited by EDcase

I hope the rotors touching things wont instantly stop them working.

There are plenty of stories of hueys lawn-mowering through bamboo to land, its not good for them but they could still fly.

thin weak trees should be cut by the chopper blades, but thick fat big trees can damage the blades and stop the rotor. and there should be a way to move the heli like a towtruck to move it away from the tree. or maybe chainsaw to destroy the tree(or bombs)

Yes!

Its really unrealistic how the chopper just blows up when it hits a twig, rotor collision would be a huge improvement over whats currently in ARMA2

I would love to see this including rotors colliding with each other. This would easily make some KA pilots think twice before doing stupid things.

I'd be more than happy with the rotors just popping into some sort of new static position reflecting damage. Even disappearing completely as my helicopter falls to the ground lifelessly would be better than the current system of touching something and blowing up TWICE.

Wait, rotors collide with trees now? When did this happen?

The result is that the helicopter bounces.

I think the best implementation would be just to have the rotors fly off all broken if the rotor disc intersects anything. Those pilots in the Kiowa were very lucky. I doubt very much that that is the norm for a rotor striking a tree.

Kiowa? Looks very much like Apache optcs to me :p

Also, rotor blades are surprisingly tough, unless you hit something pretty solid (like the trunk of a mature tree, or a building, or the ground) then you're not likely to have a catastrophic failure. Yes the blades will get mashed up, but they're not going to snap off or disintegrate.

Or have imbalance-induced vibration from having the ends of a blade clipped off by a blade-strike

Is a very good option I think. (tho it is more from the imbalance caused by the ends of the blades being mashed out of shape than totally removed)

Coming in ACE2 at least. :) (i hope)

Alex

those who know don't speak

those who don't know speak volumes...

blade intersection would be nice as well though.

Hi guys!

I'm new to this community, but saw that there's this thread about rotor damage without any noticeable changes in the beta patches. Is there any decision from the developers to make these changes happen?

The main rotor collision to objects (and the tail rotor damage to the infantry) would be really a must to have driving the choppers real.

Or is it possible to handle these damages with an add-on?

Kiowa? Looks very much like Apache optcs to me :p

Could be. I seem to remember a higher quality version of that video where you could see the blades rotating underneath the camera. I can't find a higher quality version now, though.

KA-52 with intermeshable blades please. :p

Just like in DCS Black Shark. :D

And not just rotor collision. I knocked a bush that a jeep would push over with the landing gear of a huey and burst into flames.