Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

Uhao Island in A2

Hi Guys

I've been using some A1 islands (Avgani, Sahrani Lite...) in A2 just by copying over the core A1 PBOs to an addon folder. The process has been written about before, so I won't get into that details.

My problem is that Uhao, the nice tropical jungle island perfectly suited for some cool Marines and Spec Ops missions, has a version check built in which gives the error "Version must be 1.08" when of course A2 is at 1.01. Is there an easy way to remove that version check from the addon?

Yes, open the island file with unpbo. Then Check the CfgPatches.hpp and change it. If there is no CfgPatches.hpp unrap the config.bin with unrap.

Thanks, I will try that.

Update: Okay, I got it all unpacked and un-BIN-ed and changed the version number. But I found no tool to create the config.bin again so I can pack it up with the PBO Tool.

Right now I have a lot of .hpp and one config.cpp file in the extracted folder from the config.bin, can I just use these "raw" files in the uhao.pbo or what tool would I use to create a config.bin?

Sorry, never modded anything more than textures back in OFP.

Edited by Helmut_AUT

not sure if its the same with islands but i just have a config.cpp file when i test my British units (it seems to work ok) and i only make it a config.bin when i am releasing the addon.

AFAIK the old 6th sense weapons used config.cpp and .hpp files and it ran fine (although i may be confusing which addon it was).

If it doesn't work i would have thought binPBO would have created a config.bin file.

Edited by STALKERGB
Bad spellin' :)

I just downloaded the official BIS tools (never having been a modder I didn't even know what they included) and there was a bin-creating tool in there. So far, it looks pretty good - the new PBO has the same files, folders and structures than the old one, I will only get to test it tomorrow at home.

Okay, my conversion crashes the game upon loading the map into the editor. It looked okay, but seems it isn't. If anyone else wants to try his hand, please do.

Why do you need to reBIN the config at all? Just leave it as config.cpp and rePBO the folder. Not sure this works though. :P

Yeah I guess I'll try that next. But it seems something got damaged during the unpacking - the version check is definitly gone, yet that crash is there...

1. Create an @ARMA mod folder and place in the \AddOns sub-directory the following files from ArmA 1.14+ then append the @ARMA mod folder to your -mod= list start-up parameter. You can instead just chuck these in with Uhao but I also use this same mod folder containing these same files for my port of Avgani & Afghan Village (which I'm still chasing down the last few errors on).

.\@ARMA\AddOns\misc.pbo
.\@ARMA\AddOns\misc.pbo.bi.bisign
.\@ARMA\AddOns\plants.pbo
.\@ARMA\AddOns\plants.pbo.bi.bisign
.\@ARMA\AddOns\roads.pbo
.\@ARMA\AddOns\roads.pbo.bi.bisign
.\@ARMA\AddOns\rocks.pbo
.\@ARMA\AddOns\rocks.pbo.bi.bisign
.\@ARMA\AddOns\signs.pbo
.\@ARMA\AddOns\signs.pbo.bi.bisign

2. Un-PBO uhao.pbo somewhere and delete:

.\uhao\config.bin.

3. Download these files an unzip with paths into the unpbo'd uhao folder so you're adding:

.\uhao\config.cpp
.\uhao\obj\clutterfix_grass_long.p3d
.\uhao\obj\data\x_grasslong.rvmat
.\uhao\obj\data\x_grasslong_ca.paa

4. Re-PBO the uhao folder and move the resulting pbo to your @UHAO mod folder replacing the original in the \AddOns sub-directory. You may as well delete the uhao bisign file at this point.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Just had a look at arma2.rpt and I see a few missing config errors, not sure of the implications but I might have a go at fixing them when I'm done with Avgani et. al. The CAA1 project may well simplify such things in the future.

Thanks. I only saw the posting today. Any clue why my conversion crashed - did you change more than just the Patch Required line?

Double-check step 3, crashed for me too before that change.

Hi again

I followed the conversion down to the letter, but now the game doesn't "see" the Island, I can't load it at all? It had been put in the same folder as my other "old" stuff, and that shows up okay. I'd almost want to stop bothering, but Uhao is such a perfect map for USMC Operations...

Edited by Helmut_AUT

I've been waiting to see CAA1 before proceeding with any ports but now it's out I mean to finish chasing down errors in Avgani, Afghan Village and will look at Uhao again too. Have you tried running your ported Uhao in its own mod folder (without anything else except the listed ArmA 1 files)? If it still doesn't work like that you could e-mail me your ArmA2.rpt at defunkt[at]hotmail.com and I'll see if I can work out why. You must appreciate that chucking "old" stuff in the game without first resolving conflicts between old and new content is going to create issues.

Yep, I know it's rather "rough" what we're doing here. Not sure I'll have the time anytime soon, but if I get to it I'll mail you my results. Thanks for helping.

@Defunkt

uhao works exactly as u described in ur guide with replacing the files ,thx alot :)

Description: OFM Uhao is an island with tropical ambient and atmosphere. Terrain elevation is based on real Oahu island in Hawaian area.

(from the uhao readme.)

After searching the web, I realized that this island is the island in tv show Lost! :eek: :yay:

the creators of Lost on the island real copied to create their mysterious island

logor.jpg

lostislandmapbyempirema.jpg

realy good for creating the Lost island in Arma2 , need permission to convert into uhoa in Lost Island , Uhao creator is still there ?

Ofman is the creator of that paradise and last time I checked he was around (though extremely busy). :D

@colonel well

When I saw the statue you made I also though it would fit best with the Uhao Island, its probably the most similar to the LOST island that was ever made by the community. And since LOST is one of my favorite TV Series I would really like such an island, but its a huge task to make the island as mysterious as the one in LOST.

I got Uhao working OK in Arma 2 under CAA1 with just a version number change...

Theres a little texture problem on distant stuff like seashores and mountains that needs attention but its working well enough so far...

B

i tryed your guide step by step but i cant see the island ingame i i get an error at startup (porto required caa1 roads).maybe the problem is patch 1.07. ill appreciate any help ;)

Pardon for bumping a year old topic, but with ToH:CP I have been exploring various islands, and have been obsessed with flying in Uhao.

Technically its a ToH:CP mod, but Arrowhead is required. It's kinda a grey area as far as proper forum etiquette is concerned (i think).

It works without modifying the version number, just dragging and dropping the required addons into the Uhao folder.

I re-installed Arma Combat Operations (1.06), patched it to 1.08 then 1.18 .

I then placed the following Arma addons in the @OFM_Uhao/Addons folder:

buildings.pbo
misc.pbo
plants.pbo
roads.pbo
rocks.pbo
signs.pbo
water.pbo

The island loads with two error messages. There is also the occasional purple artifact in the sky, meh.

arma2oa2011071411151387.th.png arma2oa2011071411150001.th.png

enjoy!

arma2oa2011071411103296.th.png tohuhao.th.png