Sign in to follow this  
MehMan

Some of those less than awsome ArmA2 features

I bit random I know, but im abit dissapointed with not being able to interact with the houses more.ie Not being able to go upstairs, peer out windows etc.It makes multiplayer boring sometimes when theres no where to go/hide.Yes i know theres a few building ie the hotel where u can go in the front door to the lobby, but it would be cool if u could go up the stairs to say the top of the roof for sniping for example.

I bit random I know, but im abit dissapointed with not being able to interact with the houses more.ie Not being able to go upstairs, peer out windows etc.It makes multiplayer boring sometimes when theres no where to go/hide.Yes i know theres a few building ie the hotel where u can go in the front door to the lobby, but it would be cool if u could go up the stairs to say the top of the roof for sniping for example.

There are some open houses where you can go upstairs and look out from the first floor, but they are few and far between, unfortunately. :(

That is exactly what my idea allows. You shoot it with as many damage 74 projectiles as you like. If the armor=75 then none of them are going through. Armor degradation and location specific armor degradation are several steps ahead of what I'm talking about.

All I'm trying to say is a simple armor-damage threshold mechanic ArmA2 doesn't even do now. Once we get that baby step in maybe we can talk about degradation, localized degradation, and even interaction coefficients.

Oh, you did not mention that AFTER each hit the value is reset to normal or never decreased if not passing the value (acting as a threshold).

But it is still not good enough for fence-like protection (attached to some parts of APCs or MBTs) made to trigger HE fuses of warheads BEFORE they hit the real hull. First shot should only rip away (virtually and by replacing a part of the texture) that fence-section, 2nd round (at the same section) would act only against the hull armour.

This would enforce (human player-) AT infantry to carefully aim at weak points (current AI would not be able IMHO) or to apply for each attack onto a modern MBT 2-3 AT firing all ATs within a short sequence at the same point and then disengage as fast as they can.

WWIIOL's ballistic system has nothing to do with actual game play as you compare it to. It is done behind the scenes and does not depend on how quickly you can get in a vehicle.

It is a programming issue in which CRS rules the roost on.

Yeah, but it's still overly complex and I bet it wouldn't work as smoothly as one would want. Still, if a system like that were implemented in ArmA2 I'd do a barrel roll.

Another thing that just poped into my head is the usage of commander machine guns in tanks. The same as in ArmA. The only two tanks ingame that can operate the commander machine gun turned in IRL are the T90 and M1A2 TUSK. HOWEVER all tanks can fire the commanders machine gun when turned in.

this game is rubbish!

it is slow, the motion blur is extremely annoying, it is impossible to do anything.

on the first mission for example, i was trying to plant explosives on that truck for 1o mins, it just wouldn't happen, or go up the ladder on it, just kept falling.

flying helicopters or planes is rediculous, it is so sensitive, one touch sends it crazy, it doesn't slow down.

i could go on but i am tired, i hate this game

this game is rubbish!

it is slow, the motion blur is extremely annoying, it is impossible to do anything.

on the first mission for example, i was trying to plant explosives on that truck for 1o mins, it just wouldn't happen, or go up the ladder on it, just kept falling.

flying helicopters or planes is rediculous, it is so sensitive, one touch sends it crazy, it doesn't slow down.

Have fun with the ultrarealistic COD4.

this game is rubbish!

This is not for you. Like said - have fun with kiddie shooter CoD.

Helis are awesome. Motion blur is great. You dont know how to plant satchels... Talk about being slow. Falling off the ladders? Never happened to anyone i know let alone me when testing. Same as ArmA1 and never fell even once.

Conclusion: Your a retarded troll that needs to go back to bed. Nite nite.

wow that is very violent response.

there is no need for calling me a "retarded troll"

im saying in my game it isn't working, i know HOW to do it, its just not letting me.

being an obnoxious, arrogant prick like you are, will get you no where in life.

manners cost nothing

72;1317957']This is not for you. Like said - have fun with kiddie shooter CoD.

Helis are awesome. Motion blur is great. You dont know how to plant satchels... Talk about being slow. Falling off the ladders? Never happened to anyone i know let alone me when testing. Same as ArmA1 and never fell even once.

Or, you know, instead of attacking someone for posting their views on the game you could try to, I don't know, help him? For example, let him know that the motion blur will be able to be turned off in the next patch (which BTW being great is YOUR opinion, not fact, otherwise nobody would have wanted the no motion blur mod that was so popular 2 weeks ago). Or possibly explain how the interface works to use satchels (which isn't very intuitive, especially compared to most games these days). Maybe even explain that ladders are used like mounting vehicles in this game and not automatically grabbed on to (again, like most games these days). How about mentioning to him to adjust his sensitivity on his mouse using the in game options so the helicopters and aircraft are more manageable for his style? Oh, I know, maybe even recommend a joystick and politely say that flying in this game takes a lot of practice compared to BF2!

Have fun with the ultrarealistic COD4.

you mean fucked up controls are realistic?

72;1317957']This is not for you. Like said - have fun with kiddie shooter CoD.

I may be new to the forum but i've been reading it for a while. The main aim for any company is to make money, and with a new product aimed at new customers your response is somewhat shocking. Calling anyone retarded is beyond childish and if you worked for me you'd have got the sack for that in a heartbeat. Especially as you've decided to include the word 'Dev' in your username. I love Arma 2, i'm not one of the people that a few on here assume are kids playing until they realise the game has a (fairly) steep learning curve and go back to other 'kiddy' games (by which i'm assuming you mean the brilliant COD series) and yet it's almost like you don't want people to play the game. When people age and become more mature their tastes change and they may well crave for something more serious and challenging, and Arma2 seems a fine example of that.

Answering people like you have is unconstructive to say the least, regardless of how vexxed you may be by their post, you are doing your part to damage the sales of the game by putting off potential customers or people who want help but don't want to be on the receiving end of insults like yours.

Bad form.

All this complaining about something that can't really change. The Engine Works Great. Its amazing at many points and is fixable at its lowest.

Just getting tired of trolls and of people not reading the forum before typing. Telling things are shit this and shit that. End of story.

72;1318656']Just getting tired of trolls and of people not reading the forum before typing. Telling things are shit this and shit that. End of story.

Granted, you could choose your words a little wiser though.

I'm new here, and know that it might backfire.

First off, im not defending nor condoning bad manner and/or language. But personaly I can appreciate that people that have put time, sweat, and blood into a game gets defensive.

Both people here, in my honest oppinion, could had done it different/perhaps better.

Jalfrezes came off the bat offensive, and premature. He should had used a few minuttes to read the manual (rtfm anyone? or was that a 90's thing) and played around before blowing up on a official forum. He should perhaps rephrased his post a tad, if he was looking for a propper answer (I myself, personaly, cant speak for others.. Found his post to be flamebait as well) But alas, "dung" happens, get over it and lets all be friends. Humans are allowed to slip up.

I'm not gonna defend Alex[Dev]72's post. He should perhaps had bit his toungue, and let it slip. But to be fair, I think we all would, in the heat of the moment, do the same.

But calling it "Damageing to the game's sales" and saying "that if you where his boss, you would sack him in a heartbeat" is a bit off mate.

tl;dr Let just enjoy the game (when we get it!) and hug a few trees in the process.

well i have to play it at a low level, but there is no search option on the forum, and im not searching through more than 25 pages to find a way to change the options (which i still don't know, its not in-game options)

but still there is no need to react like that, if a noob posts you should help them not insult them, especially being a senior member.

i should know i am admin on another forums, and i deal with noobs on that politley

Not at all. He's representing the company.

Anyway these posts are all way off topic and fairly pointless. Alex has stated his position and i tend to agree that having something you are involved in bashed and having to answer the same questions over and over again is enough to grind anyone's gears, i just think the language is unacceptable, especially when the mods like to call others for not being grown up.

Done and dusted anyway. Now can i have a manual, why is my game not English, and why's there no AA in th... J/K'ing:D

We are all just happy to be able to play Arma2.

Anyone who says anything bad about this game is a troll it seems. It's kind of hard to have an opinion here. The thing is, I love this game and would consider myself to be one of the biggest fanboys, but the way some people get so bloody defensive at the slightest thing that makes the game sound bad, true or not, is ridiculous. Because someone doesn't like something, or are experiencing problems you are not, does not make them a troll. They are entitled to their own opinions.

Please take it a notch or two down, on both sides of the fence. Flaming new members is no more contributing towards a constructive way of handling certain game concerns, than said members barging into the room with a bucket full of complaints, unfound or not.

Not at all. He's representing the company.

No he's not. BIS devs can be recognised by their title and avatar.

<- Like that one there.

Edited by Sith
typo

Please take it a notch or two down, on both sides of the fence. Flaming new members is no more contributing towards a constructive way of handling certain game concerns, than said members barging into the room with a bucket full of complaints, unfound or not.

No he's not. BIS devs can be recognised by their title and avatar.

<- Like that one there.

My bad. Noted. thanks.

I absolutely agree that the armor system needs an update. Adding a damage-threshold type mechanic is a 'cost free' solution. While Arma2 will probably never become a TANK simulator; thats hardly the point.

The point is to have a consistent, immersive, and BELIEVABLE game.

Damage Resistance

A simple way of adding an AP vs DR system would be something like this.

DEFINE:

[Damage]- Damage of the attack, by current formula.

[AP]- Armour Piercing Quality, 0 - lots

[DR]- Target Damage Resistance, 0 - lots

Armor and Weapon

0, unarmoured - 9mm or JHP

1, Ballistic vest - 5.56

2, Plated vest & soft vehicle - 7.62+

4, fortified constructs - .50cal

8+, Tank armour

Damage sequence

1. Compare AP to DR

1a. If DR is greater => Divide Damage by DR goto #2

1b. If AP is greater or Equal => Goto #2

2. Deal Damage to hitpoint/location

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

: Therefore

5.56 hits human wearing Ballistic Vest

Arbitrary Damage value of 50

5.56 AP of 1

Vest DR is 1

AP == DR

Damage is 50 Health

5.56 hits human wearing Plated Ballistic Vest

AP of 1

Plated Vest DR is 2

AP < DR

Damage = 50 / 2(DR) ==> 25 Health

5.56 hits Light Tank Backside

AP of 1

Tank DR is 8

AP < DR

Damage = 50 / 8(DR) ==> 6,25 == 6 Health

Boom. Tactics and a minimally faithful reproduction. Tweak numbers as necessary.

- Ken