Sign in to follow this  
Takko

Max Polycount in ArmA 2

Have not bevels. The model implemented by all the rules of low-poly. But there are 16-24 segments in cylinders of barrel&etc, and lot of holes in mesh, what don't want make with Alpha.

Bevels can contribute to a model in a meaningful way. If you think that all of the edge loops are necessary, then I would say that your model is probably alright.

This should be kept as a guideline for everyone since it matches in most cases the game's models.

Not quite, if you take a look at the models in O2 you will see that they are primarily quads with some tri's (when polies are spoken of it generally means tri's) included pending on model, especially vehicles.

However if you triangulate it or export it to be opened in another 3D program such as Max it auto triangulates and shows the real polygon count.

Some of which quite high, lets just say it is amazing you can run with so many humvee's with 50 cal's and A-10's at once without having much trouble.

Now that's not to say that you should go bizerk and polyhappy, it just means that this engine is easier with the polygons then textures and materials.

Normal maps are great they take more cycles then a diffuse so sometimes substituting certain parts with simple poly effects (excluded if you are using a normal map for it entirerly of course, unless you want to use low poly bevels with a normal map to make it appear more defined to use the best of both) may let it run better, and look more realistic especially if you add this to the shadow LOD

Of course you can also fake 3D even better with this engine since the shadow LOD is seperate rather then auto generated by the meshes. And that just like regular LOD's shadow's have atleast 2 LOD's but beware since this particular is a bit more...restrained.

Edited by NodUnit

The important part is to create the different LODS, not so much the higher polycount of the most detailled lod.

It's ok to have 15/20 000 tris on a close-up, if you have a 10 000/5000/2000/etc... poly versions for when going further away.

Good UV mapping is also very important performance-wise as the game make extensive use of rvmats.

@NodUnit

I was talking about triangulated ArmA2 models...except the characters, i know nothing about their poly(tris) count. Basically you could say that the modelling standards are the same as they were with ArmA (to some extent).

The important part is to create the different LODS, not so much the higher polycount of the most detailled lod.

I think its the best answer.

32768 vertices is a hard limit in ArmA -- as directx counts them. O2's points count is not quite the same thing depending on the number of sharp edges you have. I guess it applies to ArmA2 as well. I think its the max size of the vertex buffer. You'll know when you get there since buldozer fails to draw the model.

I think its the best answer.

32768 vertices is a hard limit in ArmA -- as directx counts them. O2's points count is not quite the same thing depending on the number of sharp edges you have. I guess it applies to ArmA2 as well. I think its the max size of the vertex buffer. You'll know when you get there since buldozer fails to draw the model.

official enough?

you can always use proxies if you have a model with super high poly count that breaks the arma2 limit

Okay , i give what are proxies and how do we use them

Edited by F2F_BHO
typo

you copy the excess parts onto a new empty model then save and create a proxy on the orginal model to the new model

Yea idk what proxies are either lol, which might help considering my project and that im on the detailing stage. Are you saying its basically two models attached together? Still same amount of polys/vertices right, just in different models that "co-exist" haha? In the end for performance it still comes down to how many polys are drawn on the screen right?

Hmm, kind of an old thread to dig up, fellas.

"Proxies" is close enough subject I suppose...

A proxy is an object displayed by proxy like the name says. The gunner, driver, cargo, etc. positions on a model are proxies, along with things like missile weapons and so on. Proxies only apply to view LODs - they can't add to geometry, memory, etc. Proxies can be animated however.

I feel like an idiot cuz this is probably a simple concept that I'm just not getting haha.

I looked in O2 and saw the Create > Proxy dialog. I mean I guess I understand its just to link/create the resolution LOD of one model into another? I suppose I'm just not understanding the benefit since its the same amount of polys on screen anyway. But then I'm working on a carrier which has no view (gunner/driver/etc) LODs so maybe I'm just not in the right mindset.

if you have more than 32000 polys or whatever on your model, you have to split it up into proxies. or if it is too big then you have to split it up.. it's not for optimization (correct me if i am wrong)

I feel like an idiot cuz this is probably a simple concept that I'm just not getting haha.

I looked in O2 and saw the Create > Proxy dialog. I mean I guess I understand its just to link/create the resolution LOD of one model into another? I suppose I'm just not understanding the benefit since its the same amount of polys on screen anyway. But then I'm working on a carrier which has no view (gunner/driver/etc) LODs so maybe I'm just not in the right mindset.

Simple demonstration: Make a simple model, like a box or a chair. Then in another model - say a car - use the proxy dialog and load the simple model you made. Now that proxy is represented by a triangle; you don't see the object in O2. However, when you load buldozer, the proxy model is being displayed along with your current model. The advantage is the game treats a proxy as a separate object, so if you have too many polies on one object and need to cut back, using proxies is a way to cut back on that limit. The intended usage though is for the above - missiles, cargo, etc.

it's not for optimization AFAIK it's for fixing some bugs eg : the model wont show up although it has low poly count

or if you want to add more details and you are hi on poly count

Its not for fixing bugs.

Proxies are used to show a model on another model. Examples are NV-goggles, AT-weapons on the back, missiles under the wings and so on. Then some modders are using that feature to get around some limitations.

proxies are really easy to use , i dont understand the confusion. plus, if you have trouble placing proxies , you can always go to view -> show proxies

ok i get it. somehow reading the previous pages i got the idea it was for optimization somehow and that was confusing me. idk that i'll personally have any use for this, doubtful but maybe.

ok i get it. somehow reading the previous pages i got the idea it was for optimization somehow and that was confusing me. idk that i'll personally have any use for this, doubtful but maybe.

It is perfect for your interior, especially the chairs. Although you can work with copy/pasting the chair, using proxies instead has one big advantage: if you're reworking the chair as separate model, all chairs used on your carrier will immediately use the reworked one. So it prevents the hassle to search and replace every single chair in your model.

Besides that, i guess it is more comfortable to work on a object without a whole carrier in the same O2 window.

It is similar to how 3ds max (i think you used that as your modelling software) is dealing with Xrefs.

The main advantage besides what Myke is saying is that you can split up the model in several parts, all with their own animations and LODs etc, using them inside one model only.

Thanks guys. Pufu... don't confuse me even more lol. No idea what Xrefs are. I am a total modeling n00b haha this is like my first real project. And yea Myke I see what you mean. In max when I copied the chairs I did so as an instance though so, the changes are automatic via that method as well. I can always isolate the object I want to work on or hide certain other objects to make viewing stuff easier too. Anyway thanks again I got my basic understanding of it now :)

I'm not exactly wanting to dig up an old thread, but well I'm interested in the answer to a question.

If theres a 15bit (32,767) max number of vertices, how many are actually drawn in the engine at any one time? Or is purely a per model constant... yet you mention DirectX?

edit: 8bit... lol, I mean 15bit

Edited by Rommel

* the 32.767 is the vertex normal max count per P3D (due using 8bit-indices as you pointed out)

Regarding the amount of vertex the RV engine can handle(via DirectX 9), i can't tell. And i doubt anyone besides BI devs knows about it being capped or not.

All i know is that DX9 doesn't have a hard limit set - the limit is your memory size.

Edited by PuFu