Sign in to follow this  
Motivator

Anyone tried Voxli web based voice chat?

Has anyone tried this https://voxli.com/ I saw it a few month ago and never had tha chance to try it out, with ARMA 2 coming up maybe a lot of people could make some good use out of it.

Stay Motivated!

Never tested it. With VOIP inside ARMA2 we never needed anything else. ARMA2 has built in comms with different channels. A very cool channel is "DIRECT" where the sound is made from your player so when you move away from whoever talks the sound fades away more and more. And new in ARMA2 is the commander channel where only squad leaders and single players can hear eachother.

Alex

72;1311705']Never tested it. With VOIP inside ARMA2 we never needed anything else. ARMA2 has built in comms with different channels. A very cool channel is "DIRECT" where the sound is made from your player so when you move away from whoever talks the sound fades away more and more. And new in ARMA2 is the commander channel where only squad leaders and single players can hear eachother.

Alex

Interesting I never knew that.

I do not have the game yet, but I assume that as in the past with OFP1 and ArmA1 that feature it can be turned off. Some public servers will likely have it turned off in order to mitigate any potential abuse.

Interesting topic, i have not seen a list of changes to VOIP in ARMA2, anyone got a link or the info?

The squad i usually roll with uses Team Speak as they have multiple servers, chat rooms etc at any one time and it makes it easy for people to chat out of game, in game and join games being setup etc. I can't see them changing that unless ARMA2 has some serious chat capabilities.

The direct sound option does sound awesome though. Expecially for small scale co-op missions where you want the ultimate realism...

Edited by Ketamine

the good thing about external chat programs is they dont use the servers bandwidth. mumble is a ts style chat that also has the direct chat capabilities, but it only works with some games, ie someone has to mod it to get it to work in arma2. we use it all the time in project reality, and the direct chat is so much louder/clear than in arma.

We have been asking for separate volume control for directchat vs effects, so that directchat can actually be used. Unfortunately this request has not been made, so we're again pretty much forced to use less attractive means of communications. For us that means TS, which means less public communitions on our server, and the fact that whenever TS is running, I can't even use ingame chat at all (some kind of conflict resulting in garbled ingame voice sound).

Has anyone used VoIP in ArmA2?

Maybe its better?

VoIP in ArmA2 seems to be of very high quality and functionality, aside from the fact that it is supposedly bugged for the moment.

Nobody has mention anything about Ventrilo?

What happened to awesome quality and performance?

Hmm, gonna use that direct chat from now on.

Is there a separate volume for direct talk and effects in ArmA 2? Having that is very important, or the direct talk becomes unusable as you can't hear anything if there is any noise from vehicles etc. In ArmA 1 the in-game voice is pretty good apart from this volume problem for direct talk. The radio channels work fine as you have a separate volume for radio in ArmA (although it would still be nice to have server option to disable all built-in radio talks so that only radio talk that we hear is the player's talking with voice chat).

You can't really compare external voice chat programs with the voice chat that comes with the game, as they don't offer the same thing (except maybe mumble). In ArmA's direct talk, not only the sound fades with distance, but it also is directional (if someone talks on your left side, you hear it from left). To sum it up, it's much more realistic.

Ideal solution would be for the in-game voice chat to use same technology as Ventrilo (uses GSM codec), which has really good sound quality and uses very little bandwidth. That awesome quality / low bandwidth usage combined with directional proximity based talk would be awesome.