Sign in to follow this  
ChevyVanDude

ArmA II/2 vs Operation Flashpoint (and 2)

Hello all,

First off; yeah this game can rock balls, but I wonder:

Would an OfP enthousiast, like me, like ArmA II / 2?

What would be the main (or more) differences between ArmA 2 and Operation Flashpoint 2?

Though I assume there will be lots of mod's which can turn ArmA 2 into OfP-ish, I'd rather buy some original.

Does it has the '80s feeling?

And there is an resistance civillian group right?

That makes it even more realistic.

If there ain't civilians (which I believe there were) it would just be another boring 1PS/3PS shooter.

ArmA/ArmA2 is a spiritual successor to OFP while "Operation Flashpoint 2" has nothing in common with Operation Flashpoint.

Oh an OFP2 vs.Arma2 thread, this will boil down to "OFP2 is going to be a shitty arcade game like CoD for kids grrr I'm so angry Codemasters dare to ruin the good reputation of OFP grrrr grrr rawr" discussion again.

Hello all,

First off; yeah this game can rock balls, but I wonder:

Would an OfP enthousiast, like me, like ArmA II / 2?

What would be the main (or more) differences between ArmA 2 and Operation Flashpoint 2?

Though I assume there will be lots of mod's which can turn ArmA 2 into OfP-ish, I'd rather buy some original.

Does it has the '80s feeling?

And there is an resistance civillian group right?

That makes it even more realistic.

If there ain't civilians (which I believe there were) it would just be another boring 1PS/3PS shooter.

No you will not like ArmA 2, stick with OFP2 :D

I think you may be under the illusion Codemasters made OFP. OFP was made by Bohemia Interactive, these guys. Codemasters own the name, but not the game. OFP2 will be nothing like the original OFP, and if you're an OFP enthusiast, ArmA II will be what you want as it is made by the people who actually made OFP.

To answer your question, no, ArmA II is set today, not in the '80s. There are resistance, in the form of NAPA, and of course there are civilians too. And it still retains the ability to switch between 1st and 3rd person as OFP did.

In OFP2, which isn't the true sequel to OFP despite Codemasters' marketing, there are no civilians and there are no resistance. It's set today as well. You also can't pilot planes, and only a limited number of helicopters. There is also no ability to switch between 3rd and 1st person.

Edit: I wonder if people really do put unhelpful posts so quickly just to spam. :\

Oh an OFP2 vs.Arma2 thread, this will boil down to "OFP2 is going to be a shitty arcade game like CoD for kids grrr I'm so angry Codemasters dare to ruin the good reputation of OFP grrrr grrr rawr" discussion again.

Well that's how it is so whats wrong with it?

ArmA 1/2 is a more modern version of the old OFP1 engine, so you're probably going to like it if you liked OFP; you can try the ARMA2 Demo which will be out soon (this week probably).

There cannot be made any comparison with OFP2 yet, as it is unreleased.

Closing, before a flame war starts.

/edit: D'oh, sorry, Sniperwolf... ;)

Edited by raedor
too slow...