Sign in to follow this  
Mike Miller

Snipers with Gillie-Suit better camo values than others?

Since the new AI is quite a challenge in spotting us early, i was wondering if the Snipers with their Gillie-Suits (extra camo) have better camo values towards the AI than regular models?

Do the snipers actually get less spotted, especially prone than the rest of the units?

Would be nice to know for those extra stealth sneaky demo missions!

thx,

mike

they get spotted just as much from my experience.

if your first shot is a hit be ready to take return fire.

shot and run a few 100m to change position seems to be the only effective counter measure.

Anyone with knowledge about these things if it is possible to lower the detection for certain units? If it is possible i definatelly think BIS should consider that for a later patch. That would make the game even better. Although maybe a thaught of "everyone will use ghillie's then" comes to mind there? Would be a nice feature though. Very nice to be honest.

Alex

Ghillie suits have no effect on the AI as far as I can tell.

They are only useful against human players at the moment.

I have noticed that it is very depending from the AI skill level if a player is spotted fast. Check out "Utes Invasion I" - there's AI at night and the player with SD ammo. Set the AI skill to "rookie" (which means 0.1 ingame) and the AI comes close to you so can kiss them :p Try it on veteran again and you'll be dead.

It's quite clever handled I think. If you can spot a ghilie sniper during the combat you'll have to be a > 0.6 skill player :D

Ask the addon folks then (or get your paws on a config), but im quite certain there is something in the config that determines how stealthy a unit is, for example snipers and blackops are harder for the a.i. to spot than regular units in OFP, should still be the same.

Shooting a weapon gives you away.. thats the end of being stealthy.

That's why it is the duty of the arma player to change the position after some shots!

Watch this video and you will notice how "stealthy" regrouping can be.

Y6mI410K_ZU

Stealth isn't only the visual aspect, it's more than that. Stealth is patience, stealth is silence, stealth is "fooling the enemy" ...

But I have to admit, a config value for stealth values would be nice. I found a camouflage value in the ArmA I configs, but I don't think it ever worked.

From what videos ive seen a ghillie suit makes no difference even playing against humans, you still stand out even though you thing your covered in the thick grass and the well prepared ghillie suit.

From what videos ive seen a ghillie suit makes no difference even playing against humans, you still stand out even though you thing your covered in the thick grass and the well prepared ghillie suit.

If they would have made the snipers more "functional" for PvP they would have made sure the far lods blended in really, really well into the landscape and not just built the model for looks. Maybe it does, TBH I haven't tested it.

From configs :

Sniper class : camouflage = 0.5;

Normal classes : camouflage = 1.8;

=> Ghillie suits are twice harder for AI to spot. Theorically ;)

There's only one way to find out. Someone has to create a re-config addon that shows the different camouflage settings in action, maybe with some extreme values.

From configs :

Sniper class : camouflage = 0.5;

Normal classes : camouflage = 1.8;

=> Ghillie suits are twice harder for AI to spot. Theorically ;)

I think I'll make a clown addon with .25, that'll show them :p

Lol, I know you know, but why can't people get it that you can make a pink elephant and give it good camo values in the config and AI will walk right by it. It's all code, nothing to do with the model/textures.

Well, that's all we need. Soldiers fighting one of Dumbo's hallucinations.

...And also BIS needs to release or activate the camo faces they made in the face chooser regarding its hard to hide as sniper. They look very good and my mate tested to make a face.jpg out of the templates from Kegety's link (ARMA2 original faces) and he reported the camo smudged out heavily. Wasnt as easy as ArmA. A black line he said smudged out on half of the face and got very transparent.

Anyway i dont get why the camo faces that are in game on many SF guys arent in the face chooser since they are there, but not activated.

And yes i really hope BIS in a patch lower the value of the ghillie sniper + fixing the AI knowing where you are when you plant a satchel - run 400 meters - tocuh off - bam AI knows where you are. Same problem in ArmA before a patch, and now its back. Seems BIS made AI from scratch again? Otherwise it would already been fixed right? heh. :)

Alex