Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 Demo Release Today - 2PM GMT - 3PM CET - 6:00 AM PST

The reason people working the torrent files report errors/corrupted files is that the uploader did not follow the excepted rules and put the file into 14.8MB divisions in .rar format.

It only takes 1 bad byte and the whole .zip file needs to be re-downloaded rather than the one bad 14.8MB part.

Also it seems those working the torrent are being cheap and NOT seeding back at full speed.

The best I have been able so far with about 1,200 users in the swarm is 64K and that only I have turned off my IP blocker.

Working the torrent and SEEDING at full bandwith just as I would on privet trackers...and hope'n I am not one of the unlucky ones who have gotten a corrupted file.

I think most who have just gave up and did not bother to post a message about it.

I get "Out of Range!" whenever I try to launch Arma2. I'm on Vista 32 bit with the latest GTX 260 drivers. Anyone else have this problem and get it fixed?

You need to move closer to your monitor ;).

That happens when the resolution is set at a level your monitor can't handle.

I've got 505 retail version but i thought i would give the demo a try. It runs so much better, the addition of 8xAA is nice, the grass at very high seems to be appearing much further out.

Hopefully BIS can get 1.03 soon so people dont run away.

The reason people working the torrent files report errors/corrupted files is that the uploader did not follow the excepted rules and put the file into 14.8MB divisions in .rar format.

It only takes 1 bad byte and the whole .zip file needs to be re-downloaded rather than the one bad 14.8MB part.

Also it seems those working the torrent are being cheap and NOT seeding back at full speed.

The best I have been able so far with about 1,200 users in the swarm is 64K and that only I have turned off my IP blocker.

Working the torrent and SEEDING at full bandwith just as I would on privet trackers...and hope'n I am not one of the unlucky ones who have gotten a corrupted file.

I think most who have just gave up and did not bother to post a message about it.

Torrent has DIED.

Strange that it still shows 327 people working the torrent but the tracker is rejecting a reconnection after rebooting to see if speed would improve.

I was 36.2% finnished when this happened.

I am not a happy camper.

All the dirrect download sites listed are maxed out and if you can connect are only give'n 3-6K of speed here in the USA.

EDIT:

Clinking on the LINK above I know see why.

Torrent not registered with this tracker.

WTF is this can't anyone do anything correctly!?

I spent 12 hours working and SEEDING this damn thing only to have it DELEATED from the tracker! :mad:

Edited by Spudeater

replying to #727

CarlGustaffa,

Thanks for your comment and sorry you are being kept on hold.

In another forum I have found a post which specified the contents of the demo. But after reading so much about people having trouble with the download I decided I can do without the torrent frustration.

Edited by Alpha-Kilo

People, if you're having any CRC errors while installing, then your only choice is to download again - I tried two different downloads and had errors occur on two separate files while extracting. The size of the file is not an accurate reading for whether or not your download went smoothly.

People, if you're having any CRC errors while installing, then your only choice is to download again - I tried two different downloads and had errors occur on two separate files while extracting. The size of the file is not an accurate reading for whether or not your download went smoothly.

Is there anything you can do to get a proper torrent running ,and have it stay alive?

There is really no reason for these problems if those who uploaded the file knew what the system was about and how to correctly use it.

If the file was in correct format to start with (14.8MB sections) then anyone could have posted it on a prechannle and every BT tracker forum would be hosting it in 10-15 minutes and nobody would have corrupted files and need to redownlod....or in my post above have the tracker KILL the torrent all together!

Edited by Spudeater
Pissed that the tracker DELEATED torrent after12 hrs of d/l the damn thing!

The system of download starting to annoy me.

I have downloaded several times the files and they are always Corrupted.

2 X CORRUPTED from http://www.armedassault.info/download.php?cat=patches&id=18 (2,6G)

1 X CORRUPTED from http://www.legittorrents.info/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=788f2c946d4e775ecef24f9a13dd892717a7dc3d (2,5G)

EDIT: For example the messages i get are:

"! D:\Progs\uTorrent Loaded para DVD\ARMA2DEMO.zip: Either multipart or corrupt ZIP archive"

"! D:\Progs\uTorrent Loaded para DVD\ARMA2DEMO.zip: Either multipart or corrupt ZIP archive

! Cannot execute "C:\DOCUME~1\BRAVO6~1\DEFINI~1\Temp\Rar$EX06.844\ARMA2DEMO.exe"

Does anyone have any idea why this happens?

Edit2: this is the reason why i will never pay for a game that i have to download.

Edited by bravo 6

The graphics look terrible on my system, blury, missing textures, blocky models and glitchy.

My Specs

Windows 7 64-bit

E8400

8800GT (186.18 & tried 185.85 Driver)

8 gig Ram

The only thing that renders normaly is the "surface" of the water.

When I press "Prt Scr" in-game I get a screenshot of my desktop not the game.

Here are some photos instead

http://www.arkan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DSCF0058.JPG

http://www.arkan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DSCF0056.JPG

Help?

Its the 8gig of ram, it causes problems. In the target line of your shortcut add -winxp and it will sort it.

WTF is this can't anyone do anything correctly!?

You seriously need to dial down the whinging.

http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=3594

Total traffic 4.4 TB

Downloaded 1594 time(s)

264 seeder(s), 166 leecher(s) = 430 peer(s) total

I've personally seeded 85gb now and my connection has been stuck at 1.3mb/s since I started the torrent.

If I'd split a 2.5gb file into a 14mb rar set I'd have just as many people complaining about the hassles of unrarring it, sorry your connection is having such a hard time with the torrent but 100s of people have downloaded it successfully from the torrent.

If the 1 file torrent is such a hassle for you why aren't you just using HTTP? There's plenty of mirrors now, slap them into a download manager and you'll easily max out your connection.

mate what about my strange problem, what should i do if it keeps coming corrupted?

Why does this happens if im using a torrent source..

Edit: 15 mins ago i found a good torrent source with 1000kb/s download but what should i do if it is also corrupted? if that happens it will be the 4th corrupted file.

Edited by bravo 6
ytpo

Then I'd say there's something wrong with your PC/connection, no way should so many download attempts end up corrupt.

Do you have MSN/ICQ/Skype? PM me your details, if your download fails again I'll create a split archive with par recovery set that you can download from me personally via ftp (max 1.2mb/s download).

mate what about my strange problem, what should i do if it keeps coming corrupted?

Why does this happens if im using a torrent source..

The torrent isn't the only one that's having weird problems. A friend and I downloaded from Rapidshare - it worked fine for me, but his was corrupted.

The only difference is that I extracted it with 7-Zip and he used WinRAR. We only just realized this when we got to work, so I can't say whether WinRAR is the problem or his download was really corrupt.

Still, it might be an idea to try a different program. :)

You are aware that BitTorrent includes hashes of the data, both of every chunk and of the total file, to ensure it's got the correct data? This is why after downloading your hard drive will go crazy as the torrent client reads the whole file back to verify the checksum is correctly. This is how torrent clients detect and reject garbage data from clients (either malicious ones or just really broken ones). So this is nonsense.

The multiple RAR archives format is an artifact of the warez scene where files are uploaded to FTP servers, which introduces the possibility of something being slightly wrong and having to restart. Many releases that hit the torrent networks come straight from this scene and are uploaded in their original format (making it easier for others to seed and so on). It has absolutely nothing to do with making it easier for people to work with or recover broken parts. It's also got absolutely nothing to do with legitimate torrents.

Torrent speeds always seem to vary a bit for some reason. During the peak (after switching to the gameupdates.org tracker) my server was uploading at 11-12 MB/sec solid. Yes, it was maxing out the 100mbit uplink, and it did so far at least two hours.

It's currently running at about 1.5 MB/sec so I have plenty of capacity on my server if you can get fast transfers from the US, and has uploaded 250 gigabytes so far (upload ratio is 97.69:1!). You might need to increase the number of connections your client is willing to make to increase the chances of getting a higher speed peer.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

The only difference is that I extracted it with 7-Zip and he used WinRAR. We only just realized this when we got to work, so I can't say whether WinRAR is the problem or his download was really corrupt.

I did notice that I can't unzip it on my Linux server using a standard unzip program, so I think it may be compressed using a different algorithm or something? 7-Zip seems wonderful at handling pretty much everything these days (don't even have WinRAR installed anymore), so it's worth a try for people having problems extracting it.

www.7-zip.org - free, open source, handles a multitude of formats, and the .7z format is pretty good in itself.

The torrent isn't the only one that's having weird problems. A friend and I downloaded from Rapidshare - it worked fine for me, but his was corrupted.

Still, it might be an idea to try a different program. :)

Bah! Thank you for that, looks like i can open the ARMA2DEMO.zip when using the 7Zip program.

:eek: am i too stupid or the UnZip program is the worst thing on Earth? :mad:

Ps- Placebo ill send you the mp to better explained what happened.

I spent 12 hours working and SEEDING this damn thing only to have it DELEATED from the tracker! :mad:

That link (Tracker: http://www.gameupdates.org/announce.php) was for people to add an additional tracker to an existing download, and is the URL used by BT clients to announce to the tracker and get seeds. It doesn't work as an HTTP link, which is why you get that message. The tracker is expecting additional info (the torrent info hash) which the browser doesn't supply.

The link for downloading the torrent which uses the above tracker was posted on the 1st page,

http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?file=ARMA2DEMO.zip

(that's the torrent I'm seeding - the legittorrents.info tracker fell over shortly after the demo was released)

Edited by some kind of guy
Clarification

The system of download starting to annoy me.

I have downloaded several times the files and they are always Corrupted.

"! D:\Progs\uTorrent Loaded para DVD\ARMA2DEMO.zip: Either multipart or corrupt ZIP archive"

"! D:\Progs\uTorrent Loaded para DVD\ARMA2DEMO.zip: Either multipart or corrupt ZIP archive

! Cannot execute "C:\DOCUME~1\BRAVO6~1\DEFINI~1\Temp\Rar$EX06.844\ARMA2DEMO.exe"

Does anyone have any idea why this happens?

The archive is not corrupt - you need to use a better zip utility such as 7-zip to open it.

I get the same problem if I try to open the archives with Windows built in zip, but 7-zip works fine (and is free).

I noticed people claiming that their downloaded archives were 'corrupt' zip files and posting windows error messages to that effect.

Just a heads-up: Windows built in Zip utility (compressed folders) is not that up to date.

Download something like the free 7-zip utility (integrates fully with Windows right click menu) and you'll find those zips opening up just fine. :yay:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Hopefully this will help most people having 'corruption' problems...

Bah! Thank you for that, looks like i can open the ARMA2DEMO.zip when using the 7Zip program.

:eek: am i too stupid or the UnZip program is the worst thing on Earth? :mad:

Ps- Placebo ill send you the mp to better explained what happened.

Could be both :D Ah but seriously, I agree with the others in saying the unzipping program is your problem.

I got my demo via torrent and opened with winrar, had no problems whatsoever.

I got mine directly from a colleague at IDEA games (he uploaded to me via FTP @ 4 connections a split 100mb archive), extracted fine with winrar and the zip extracted fine with winrar. (version Winrar x64 3.90 beta 1).

Just downloaded here at the office - and tested if unzips ok.

Used the utility named 'IZArc' and all is fine. [except of the fact that it's still 7 hours before I can actually play it] ;/

Edited by topas
typo found

I noticed people claiming that their downloaded archives were 'corrupt' zip files and posting windows error messages to that effect.

Just a heads-up: Windows built in Zip utility (compressed folders) is not that up to date.

Download something like the free 7-zip utility (integrates fully with Windows right click menu) and you'll find those zips opening up just fine. :yay:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Hopefully this will help most people having 'corruption' problems...

Very useful post, unfortunately general is too messy already so I had to merge it into here, I put a copy of your post into the first post of this thread as well though :)

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

Just downloaded here at the office - and tested if unzips ok.

Used the utility named 'IZArc' and all is fine. [except of the fact that it's still 7 hours before I can actually play it] ;/

If you give me your phone number I can phone up and report a gas leak or something, get the building evacuated so you can go home? ;)