Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Pulp

HUD for BTR90+LAV25

Hi Folx,

after some testing i found that the BTR90 and the LAV25 are nearly unusable as a Commander (especially with AI driver and gunner).

You cant see the body from the commander view...so you cant tell in wich direction the thing is heading and you got no idea where the gun is pointed. Please give us a hud like in the Tanks, that shows the turret orientation, etc.

They get erven more unusable by the way the AI turns the turret. if the vehicle does a smooth 90 degree turn....the turret turns like this: 20°...stay a while...20° stay a while, etc.

you get completly desorientated as commander, cause your view turns with the turret.

it gets really shitty, when you mark a target behind the vehicle. the turret turns around 180° and so does the commander view....impossible to compensate that turn by mouse movement...you now lok in the exact oposite direction of the target...and where the danger is.

I dont like if gunner AI is turning the turrets 360° if commander didnt order them to do so. Commanding the AI everytime with "set watch direction" isnt that good either.

Maybe if the AI (gunner) would turn the turret bit slower and smoother with a max arc of 45° to left/right side it would be better?

Ug, please no more "cheater UI" 2D overlays clogging up my screen.

I sympathize with having a hard time being a commander pimple on the very robotic AI main turret but there are much better ways to deal with the issue. Giving yourself range and time reduce the number and amplitude of turret direction changes. Getting within 300m of suspected enemy is an issue of leadership.

Ug, please no more "cheater UI" 2D overlays clogging up my screen.

How is it exactly cheating? Doesn't turrets IRL have some sort of gauges or other indicators that show just what is asked in the first post?

Also you'd feel acceleration and deceleration on your body being a good giveaway on orientation. If you're going to approach the enemy using terrain as cover, you have to have some way as commander to be able to get the AI to drive where you want.

Possibility to turn off? Yes. Depending on the crew I work with (with my folks or public) I would prefer one or the other. In public 'everything' is stupid, so I'd probably want it there...

I refuse to call AI intelligent nor trained in this respect...

Also, wouldn't a commander be able to get the vehicle direction somehow?

Edited by CarlGustaffa

No, they do not. They use intelligent and highly trained personnel.

Actually they do, their training is for using the instruments provided, not using the force to work out the way the vehicles facing.

No, they do not. They use intelligent and highly trained personnel.

Pretty much EVERY AFV with an enclosed turret will have a turret direction indicator for both the gunner and the commander (if the vehicle has one)

More modern systems can even indicate elevation and a range of other telemetry.

I'd like to meet some of these "intelligent and highly trained personnel" who can tell which way a turret is facing when they have no reference to the outside world.

Doesn't the compass tape have the white and yellow carets for hull and turret directions? I admit I pulled that bit out of my posterior, but I don't want any more of these n00bs with crap for SA cluttering up my interface with stupid 2D tank pictures in the upper left showing a cartoon version of my vehicle so they can remember that once they swing the gun 90° to the right twice in a row that the gun is facing backward respect to the hull.

Besides, you don't need a reference to the outside world to figure out where the turret is turned with respect to the hull. Why would the outside world have anything to do with that?

Doesn't the compass tape have the white and yellow carets for hull and turret directions? I admit I pulled that bit out of my posterior, but I don't want any more of these n00bs with crap for SA cluttering up my interface with stupid 2D tank pictures in the upper left showing a cartoon version of my vehicle so they can remember that once they swing the gun 90° to the right twice in a row that the gun is facing backward respect to the hull.

Yea and what happens when the vehicle is swerving all over the place whole remembering of the direction you are facing does not cut it.

Any more of what n00bs?

just place a LAV in the editor...player as commander and drive through difficult terrain (city, forrest, hills, etc.) you get completly lost and due to linking the turret with the commander view the commander gets useless. how to spot enemys, when the turrets turns continously?