Sign in to follow this  
cnskin

Space based games

I want some  to buy i good space sim so have you got any favorites cus i don't wanna buy a **** game.

Freespace, Freespace2, Independance War, possibly Independance War2.

Also starlancer isnt a bad game, but it reminds me alot of an arcade shooter... i take out 19 enemy fighters per mission minimum.

I have the complete x-wing series:

X-wing

Tie Fighter

X-wing vs. Tie fighter

X-wing Alliance

They are crap now, but they were good space combat games.

There is a good one now, but i forgot his name. I think it was independance wars or something like that. Or freespace 2 is also very nice.

The only sim there is are I-War series. I've played I-War 2: good story line, looting is tremedeaously addictive...

You might still like X-Wing Alliance if your into Star Wars: exellent story line and some best dog fights in genre. (I remember in campanign there was one dog fight that lasted some 20-25 mins and in the end stats showed some +50 kills.. awsome !wink.gif

I've also played Freespace and got to say it's probably still the prettiest one around and its weapons have some balls !!

The two 'I War' games are the best sim style games. 'Starlancer' is fun but if you find it cheap 'Tachyon' is fun. Nothing fancy just done with a fair degree of style.

Indeed X-wing Alliance was great fun smile.gif

I like StarWars, so this game had it all. Although some minor things could be better, this game had some very good missions. One of the things that should be taken care of is the shield generators on the Star Destroyers. These are standing on four small poles, and you can fly underneath them. In the StarWars movies however, between the four small poles, there is a huge very thick thingy under the shieldgenerator. So it is impossible to fly underneath them. But the game is great. Sometimes i play it on MSN GamingZone with a friend. But nowadays I-war is much more better i guess...........

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gorgi Knootewoot @ Mar. 08 2002,08:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have the complete x-wing series:

X-wing

Tie Fighter

X-wing vs. Tie fighter

X-wing Alliance

There is a good one now, but i forgot his name. I think it was independance wars or something like that. Or freespace 2 is also very nice.<span id='postcolor'>

hehe i got them too u didnt perchance take part in any clan did u I used to be in TFA for XvT, used to have a week of war once a month where u just played online as much and score as high as u can it was well set up and well run.

Old but was damn good

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ Mar. 08 2002,11:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gorgi Knootewoot @ Mar. 08 2002,08:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have the complete x-wing series:

X-wing

Tie Fighter

X-wing vs. Tie fighter

X-wing Alliance

There is a good one now, but i forgot his name. I think it was independance wars or something like that. Or freespace 2 is also very nice.<span id='postcolor'>

hehe  i got them too   u didnt perchance  take part in any clan did u          I used to be in TFA  for XvT,  used to have a week of war  once a month where u just played online as much and score as high as u can   it was well set up and well run.  

Old but was damn good<span id='postcolor'>

Do any of the recycled X-Wing games (thinking about getting the whole lot) still run on Windows XP!?!?!??!!?!?!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Mar. 09 2002,03:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do any of the recycled X-Wing games (thinking about getting the whole lot) still run on Windows XP!?!?!??!!?!?!<span id='postcolor'>

X-Wing Alliance runs on Windows XP.

You want space sim? Try good ol' Frontier: Elite and Frontier: First Encounters. I remember spending countless hours on that game, doing various cargo shipping missions, smuggling, military assasination jobs and the occasional piracy while dodging galactic police and fines. That game was truly open ended with one huuuge galaxy. Too bad they never got around making a modern sequel like they said they would. sad.gif

They are making freelancer, which is supposed to be a modern elite, and is also a sequal to starlancer, it looks pretty cool. There is also a mmorpg being made by westwood that is also supposed to be like a multiplayer version of elite except fantastic looking, and thier was also "privatier" which is supposed to be the same thing again, except i think the guys lost thier publisher to it isnt being made anymore.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Mar. 09 2002,13:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Mar. 09 2002,03wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do any of the recycled X-Wing games (thinking about getting the whole lot) still run on Windows XP!?!?!??!!?!?!<span id='postcolor'>

X-Wing Alliance runs on Windows XP.<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks smile.gif

What about the others?

If I remember correctly, Lucasarts is making a Star Wars online based on the era of the empire at the height of its power like everquest except in space. I think its like Alliance except the world is online and many people buzzing around in their little ships. Dont know when that will come out, if ever, but sounds exciting.

Tachyon: Fringe Space

Is a good Space game where you are a Mercenary.

You have to play it through twice because the story branches at one point in the game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MAsta KFC @ Mar. 10 2002,11:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I remember correctly, Lucasarts is making a Star Wars online based on the era of the empire at the height of its power like everquest except in space. I think its like Alliance except the world is online and many people buzzing around in their little ships. Dont know when that will come out, if ever, but sounds exciting.<span id='postcolor'>

Its called star wars: galaxies, and at first it will only be a role playing game, set on the planets of the sw universe, you wont actually get to fly around in space ships and the such until they release the addon.

I'd go with freespace 2 or x-wing alliance, although i find x-wing alliance extremly frustrating cos control isn't as easy as freespace 2 (can't twist you joystick to roll even). X-wing also suck because the ships are just big blobs basically, can't target specific weapons or systems like in freespace 2

freespace 2 is the daddy anyway, i say get that

Ruskie, have you even played X Wing Alliance? Everything you just said is wrong. You CAN use your joystick to roll, and you CAN target specific systems (take out the shield generators to knock out the shields, take out the engines to make it stop, take out the weapons to make it defenseless). Unless you're talking about the fighters, but they only take a few shots to kill anyway, so there's no point in targeting specific systems.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Random @ Mar. 10 2002,12:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ruskie, have you even played X Wing Alliance? Everything you just said is wrong. You CAN use your joystick to roll, and you CAN target specific systems (take out the shield generators to knock out the shields, take out the engines to make it stop, take out the weapons to make it defenseless). Unless you're talking about the fighters, but they only take a few shots to kill anyway, so there's no point in targeting specific systems.<span id='postcolor'>

wow.gif i didn't know that you could use the twist to roll, i remember it was something that annoyed me a lot back then, i must've configured my joystick wrong.

I also forgot that you can take out engines and stuff on alliance, but it still sucks, lasers fly out of ships, you can't see whats firing at them, you can't take them out, whereas with freespace 2 you can easily take out all the guns (which are modelled onto the ships) on one side and concentrate on that. In fact freespace 2 is much better cos of this, having bombing missions to take out those 4 massive beam cannons on a sathanas for example (and flying straight into heavy flak to do so wink.gif ). Plus you can also take out all the systems.

Capital ships on alliance just look pretty from a distance, otherwise they suck, whereas freespace 2 has great looking ships that are fully interactive. In alliance you just bomb and bomb, laser and laser any part of the ship until it blows up, on freespace 2 all you have to do is take out all the guns then you can ignore it.