Sign in to follow this  
NeoArmageddon

Why stll using sqs?

Wuhu... a new section for cpp and sqf.... great!

I searched the forum but i didnt find a discussion about this (please correct me, if i am wrong).

I just want to ask: Why still using sqs? sqf is faster, has better structurs and is more programminglanguage than sqs.

The only argument pro sqs is, that you can learn it very fast without programming knowledge... but can anyone find other pros for sqs?

Are there any "skilled" arma-scripters that are still using only sqs?

For something simple that doesnt need repetition. A camscript for example. Dialogs (not the UI ones), as long as they are interactive, are now a case for FSMs.

To be honest, i haven't used sqs since ofp.

I just want to ask: Why still using sqs? sqf is faster, has better structurs and is more programminglanguage than sqs.

What i learned from CZM is that sqs seems to run slower if the CPU cant keep up, while sqf will halt the game completely untill its done calculating. It may be less efficient and precise but personally i think that it may still have its uses.

(Though i plan to use .FSM for CZM if i ever get the time for a total rewrite, the first version will most likely be a straight port of both the normal and the lowspec version)

EDIT: And its great when you are lazy and need to write something small that wont hurt the performance anyway.

Edited by NeMeSiS

Why does it disturb you that sqs is used? It works and it's simpler to write so unless a mission has somehow become unplayable because of sqs scripting, it shouldn't bother you and even then you can simply fix it yourself or complain to the author.

I don't support removing things that we already have. Personally I find it extremely stupid to enforce 100% optimisation and "proper" script format when it makes no difference at all in most cases. Sqf is necessary only when you absolutely have to execute something at a precise moment no matter what your cpu says.

I'd not use sqs. I think it is okay if some oldschool OFP mission maker uses it who didn't learn sqf yet and who just needs it to get feature x of his mission working, but all others should use sqf. As sqf code is definitely not harder to learn than sqs, one better learns sqf if he's starting.

And it is also possible to "lock" ARMA with sqs scripts, you shoudn't write such code no matter if you're using sqs or sqf.

The big reason you should use SQF is that they're alot easier to structure in a maintainable way.

Maintainability doesn't matter much for small missions though.

Legacy code is the magic term for me: I've ported a map pack for a league from OFP to ArmA, and now I'm porting it from ArmA to ArmA 2. Though the league doesn't exist anymore, my squad still uses the maps, but that aside.

A large number of scripts (over 150 in total) is written in sqs, and most required minor or no adaptations to work in ArmA/ArmA 2. I'm not inclined to convert them to sqf, because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

Any new code I add, or any major overhaul I do, is done in sqf.

Legacy code is the magic term for me: I've ported a map pack for a league from OFP to ArmA, and now I'm porting it from ArmA to ArmA 2. Though the league doesn't exist anymore, my squad still uses the maps, but that aside.

A large number of scripts (over 150 in total) is written in sqs, and most required minor or no adaptations to work in ArmA/ArmA 2. I'm not inclined to convert them to sqf, because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...

Any new code I add, or any major overhaul I do, is done in sqf.

Exactly, that's the way it should be.

What i learned from CZM is that sqs seems to run slower if the CPU cant keep up, while sqf will halt the game completely untill its done calculating. It may be less efficient and precise but personally i think that it may still have its uses.

No, not when run as scripts.

SQF run as scripts (spawn or execVM) will not halt the game completely. They are run alongside the game in a similar way to the old sqs scripts. Notice you can use the sleep command to pause them. These are new since ArmA.

SQF run as functions (call) will halt the game. These have been available since OFP: Resistance.

The only reason I don't use SQS over SQF is because I learned SQF first and never took time to learn SQS, so I figure there's no point in learning the legacy language when I deal with SQF only.

Uh-oh..Gravedigger, did you noted when the last post was made? Whats the point of digging up such old threads?