Sign in to follow this  
soul_assassin

The unOfficial ArmA 2 modding competition

Also remember that not all modelers has the skills to get things put ingame. I could make some good looking models but I have no clue about putting it ingame and let it have cool features.

How about a compo forum section.

You have modeling comps, that would add to a general pool of models.

Texturing comps, that would put textures on the better models in the pool from the modeling comp.

Scripting comps, that would add to the features you see in the fully modeled and textured models from modeling and texturing.

In the end you have a really awesome pool of awesome models, with awesome textures with awesome features.

There is a reason game development studios have different departments.

At the end all the best models from the final pool gets put into the yearly Choice Awards Mod package released to the community.

Its the unrestricted, choice of participation modding group of ARMA 2. Not a specific group for one goal but a free environment where you take part in what you want and have time for to create new material for the whole community. All based around the fun of competition :D

You can be a great modeler and a average texture artist, you can be a great scripter but have no clue about either modeling or texturing. This will bring the community together.

EDIT

I have to put in a good example

MODELING COMPETITION #1

Create a new rifle for ARMA 2

Rules: No more than ????? polygons, model has to be unwrapped.

Top 3 models gets gold, silver and bronze award.

Top 3 models gets packaged and hosted on a site

TEXTURING COMPETITION #1

Choose one of the models from MODELING COMP #1

Rules: No more than ????x???? texture size. You cannot change the model but can edit the unwrap.

Top 3 textures gets gold, silver and bronze award.

Top 3 textures gets packaged and hosted on a site.

SCRIPTING AND FEATURES COMPETITION #1

Make cool features to the assigned model/models of your choice from TEXTURING COMP #1

Rules: blablabla I have no clue really

Top 3 finished assets gets gold, silver bronze award.

end of the year.

All winners gets their assets in a complete ARMA2 COMPO ADDON PACK with recognition and their names on the list of top workers.

Edited by Provac

So the actual review (comment(s)), the result made and shared are the key interest here?

The question is when do we start and who sets the topic

I think we're getting too complicated with the prize system for now, I think we should give one competition a test run with just a simple set of places:

1. Best overall technically

2. Best visual

3. Best functional

4. Most innovative

If from the first few tries it is apparent that alot more prize devision is needed then so be it. For now lets keep it simple.

As for topic a system like this would be most fair (so that no addonmakers know in advance what topic is finally chosen):

- there are 2 threads running alongside each other in the forums: the current comp thread where people ask questions, post progress etc. and this thread where the general discussion on future comps takes place. Here we also gather the ideas, from everybody. Then the winners of the previous comp choose the best 5 and the day before the start of the competition pass them on to a forum official, raedor for example. that day he/she runs a randomization algorithm to pick the new topic. Some little banner is made, rules typed up and posted the next day.

When to start? in a while, lots of things still to discuss + most people dont even have A2 yet, let alone noone having new toolset. I think start/mid july would be a good time to start.

Edited by Soul_Assassin
forgot something

So what I found out at BI: BIS are monitoring the progress of the competition with keen interest and look forward to seeing how the first couple of rounds turn out.

Without totally brushing off the idea of writing tutorials, what if you guys took the extra time to write comments above each line of code to explain it's purpose? Many folks learn better by seeing the code and then seeing it in action(myself included) then we could pick it apart, analyze it and put it to use through practice. Another helpful way to draw others in is when you submit your work, you provide a list of the tools and/or sources that you used in the production of the addon.

Yup, comments on the code + good code structure are good points to look at. I guess line-by-line is a bit too much as it often does not make much sense, but comments are very welcome.

Don't forget the audio side of an addon - sounds should be awarded too. :)

I'd vote for an open content forum. Ppl do little things they can archieve and upload them. The addon pro's here try to fit them together and in case it just doesn't fit maybe talk to the authors how to convert things into the right shape.

Thing is: i always wanted to do stuff for ArmA & ArmA2, but all the converting stuff scared me off because it takes much experience to do it right and i don't have the time to get that experience (like many others here too). The best thing i did was a little shed for OpF back then. (model & textures & config)

Therefore i would be glad to contribute little things i can do within several days and upload them somewhere, but for an addon we need experienced modders who can either convert them themselves, or PM me with little instructions or tips how to do it or where the problem is.

Just my 2 cents. :) Great discussion

Ok so this is basically not a individual competition. Its for whole groups to enter?

How many modelers now can do a complete package at a good competent level?

Modeling, Unwrapping, Texturing, Coding and Sound?

That was the sole purpose of suggesting to split it in parts. Other than that im definitely going to take part.

Yeh comments are essential :) heres an excerpt from the config of my BMD addon (being prepared for A2 atm):

// Defenition

model = "\SA_BMD_PACK_1\sa_bmd_1.p3d"; // path to model

displayName = $STR_BMD1_Name; // as seen in the editor

vehicleClass = "sa_vdv_vehicles"; // as seen in the editor see above for class defenition

nameSound = tank; // what the game says if the vehicle is spotted

scope = 2; // public, accesibility of the addon

side = 0; // East, affiliation of the vehicle

faction = "RU"; //faction

icon = "\SA_BMD_PACK_1\sa_bmd1_icon.paa"; // editor map icon

mapSize = 5.4; // size of editor map icon in meters

picture = "\SA_BMD_PACK_1\bmd1_pic.paa"; // in-game picture in the command bar

simulation = "tank";

fireDustEffect = "FDustEffects";

// Cargo and Crew

crew = "RU_Soldier_Crew"; // crew of the vehicle

typicalCargo[] = {"RU_Soldier_Crew","RU_Soldier_Crew","RU_Soldier_1","RU_Soldier_1","RU_Soldier_1","RU_Soldier_1","RU_Soldier_1"}; // cargo of the vehicle, refers to the unit classnames

hasCommander = 0; // commander not present if 0

hasGunner = 1; // has driver

transportSoldier = 5; // number of availiable cargo proxies

ejectDeadCargo = true;

unloadInCombat = 1; // drop cargo if in combat

forceHideDriver = 1; // driver cant turnout

viewCargoShadow = true;

viewCargoShadowDiff = 0.05;

Will release all the code as open source

Back on topic:

Perhaps the competition should be used as a front for a addon reference bank. Maybe it should be one of the rules that all submissions are to be opensource and accessible for reference (read: not reproduction).

Reward:

besides the fame and glory and the 1,000,000 chernorussian rouble reward (:P) perhaps its good to provide some kind of visual incentive, a badge oh honor perhaps? Some sort of icon people can place in their signature or next to the avatar or something.

@raedor

it is very encouraging to hear that BIS is enthusiastic about this idea. Maybe they would be willing to be the judges/topic announcers ( can't think of better PR for Placebo :P)

@Provac

It is actually primarily aimed at induviduals, but groups are also very welcome. Maybe a seperate award for group work? There is no experience cap, you can be a novice as much as the uber-expert, the purpose is to have fun and learn as you go. Even if you havn't ever made anything, who cares, give it a shot. If you have fun, try again the next competition and you will instantly see that the second time you do twice as good. Its the perfect opportunity for someone who always wanted to make something but never got around to doing it either because of lack of ideas or what not.

Edited by Soul_Assassin

.... but I really dont see the fun in that if we're looking at just a contest to get people interested into modding. By the time the competition ends people will have forgotten why it started and long since moved on to more interesting things to make

Agree totally. 4 competitions a year will barely raise any interest.

It has to be a month or less. Has to be snappy

I'd suggest we are not looking for Uber A1 quality addons, we're looking for participation.

Build it and they will come :D

- Fav cartoon vehicles (cartma's trike, flinstones car, etc.)

- RemoteControl (small scale (+no interiors) RC cars, planes etc. should be possible with new UAV class)

- Camouflage design (for texturers to pit their design skills to make a camo design for a new made up faction)

Perfect!

I'd suggest we're not after another M4 or a M1A1 or another A10, we're after interesting, varied and simple ideas that trigger creativity.

I'd like to also throw in the suggestion to open-source the submissions (or only the winner) once the voting is over. I think this could serve as a good resource to learn from existing addons.
.. what if you guys took the extra time to write comments above each line of code to explain it's purpose? Many folks learn better by seeing the code and then seeing it in action(myself included) then we could pick it apart, analyze it and put it to use through practice. Another helpful way to draw others in is when you submit your work, you provide a list of the tools and/or sources that you used in the production of the addon.

Totally agree with both suggestions. A good alternative to forcing people to write Tutorials.

People have the right to keep their trade secrets if they so wish.

Sorry mate, disagree.

Its 1 thing to do this in general (I've already expressed my view on knowledge sharing in the community) but definitely another thing in a compitition. If an entrant intend to use "trade secrets" then this type of competition is not for them.

So lets start setting up the first draft of the general rules and guidelines:

#1. The work submitted as part of the competition has to be completely done by the submitter(s). Use of outside sources i.e. texture layers, sounds etc, has to conform with the respective owner license agreements and terms of use. Any work suspected of being fraudulent will be dismissed without hesitation.

#2. No ports. This is not the point.

#3. The addon has to be purpose built for the competition at hand. Any previously published work will not be accepted. It is however no problem to reuse your own resources to a certain extent. Again, the point of the competition is fun.

#4. This is an "open-source" project. Models, configs and scripts should not be binarized, and by entering the competition, the creator explicitly agrees to allow others to download and study their work. The creator, however still retains all intellectual property rights to the artwork and any case of reproduction of someone else's work should be addressed to them.

#5. Every competition will have its own subset of regulations and challenges. Failure to comply will result in penalty with the judges.

#6. Contestants are encourage to post about their progress as often as possible in the proper contest thread. This will keep the competition more lively and enjoyable.

#7. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is welcome. Don't push it though, wherever possible offer help instead of just bashing.

Thats it for now. gonna add this to the first post too. Any more suggestions are welcome.

Models and cfg of course should be binned, as you find many problems when doing so. But all has to be available in an open form as well.

amendment to no4:

#4. This is an "open-source" project. Models, configs and model files should be binarized, however source files should be provided in the package (no psd's). and by entering the competition, the creator explicitly agrees to allow others to download and study their work. The creator, however still retains all intellectual property rights to the artwork and any case of reproduction of someone else's work should be addressed to them.

Hello from OFPEC.

We have discussed this idea briefly over the Addons Depot at OFPEC, and it seems like quite an interesting idea! It is similar to an idea we had ourselves earlier which sadly never caught wind, but the basic premise is the same: lowering the threshold for new talents to enter the addon-making community (also by creating open-source models, tutorials, etc etc).

I understand you may want to organise it quite by yourselves, and also keep it confined to the largest community centre (=these forums), but I'm sure the OFPEC Addons Depot will be more than happy to help in whatever way it can. Off the bat we can offer stuff like:

- A separate forum for discussion (although you are of course free to discuss anywhere you want) + the general addon editing forums for questions.

- News updates etc. on our front page

- Possibly a system of some kind for voting in the winner - depends entirely on how that would be accomplished. Could easily be forum-based.

- Hosting the winning submissions/combining them into an ever-growing community addon-pack as the number of winners grow.

- Making sure the tutorials/example models/configs/etc are 'saved' in a publicly accessible place (e.g. the AD)

We might also, depending on a number of factors, be able to offer a place to upload your submissions (either automatically or via staff members), but that I cannot promise. Hopefully by association, all new addon makers would learn the importance of TAGs right from the start, and also register them :p

I do understand however that it's easiest for you to simply organize it all right here where you will get the most coverage and so on, but whatever the case, OFPEC will be sure to give you some news coverage if nothing else. :)

If you want to contact me, you can PM me on these forums or at OFPEC.

Good luck with this initiative!

Wolfrug, Addons Depot Admin @ www.ofpec.com

Yup, I think it is a very good idea to make this OFPEC-based, especially as there's a host then... being OFPEC-based does not prevent from doing promotion here as well.

If OFPEC would agree to be the organiser of this innitiative then that would be great. Its been one of the cornerstones of the community since the beggining so its only logical:). However I think its wise to keep the main discussions here, while making the HQ (with voting, main rules, hall of fame ) at ofpec. Splitting the discussion to two different forums would not be nice since the whole idea is to unite ppl. Wolfrug, could you send me a pm with some kind of instant messaging contact info so we can chat about this?

To everyone: im glad that so many people are enthusiastic about this and so many great ideas have been contributed. Keep them coming!

@ All

Good day Gents, if i may add my two cents worth here

1. First off i think that this is a brilliant concept to unite the community but also to develop the community (Well done to Soul Assassin for the concept)

2. I think if BIS got involved in the final judging of the competion, this would be fantastic and i think much appreciated, but at the same time i think that on the judging panel should also be those "Senior Members of the Community" to assist in the judging of the models presented (for example ROCK from RKSL; Mandoble from OFPEC)

3. In terms of ideas for models being created for the competion, as suggestion i think topics such as a working forklift truck etc should be encouraged as this will provide more addons to the community that are not always considered, With arma 2 it would be nice to see more animals, Working Aircraft Tractor with Towing ability, Working Air Control Tower etc

4. Yes agreed it would be nice if there where more tutorials on how to make basic objects such as wheel, a door etc for idiots like me, but it would be nice if those that did write such tuts could be given just as much recognition as what addon makers get (for example Mr Murray- I reckon he and his team of translators should be rewarded for their time and effort is some form or another)

But overall i think that if this is managed properly it could well do the trick of uniting the community!

So the generaal consensuss seems that this coulld really push forward :) With OFPEC pledging their support perhaps other community centers would also like to join in (armedassault.info, armaholic etc)?

The most important thing now is to assemble a commitee of administrators, people that organise, oversee and admin thee state of the competition: theme picking, rules finalisation, voting and pr. I think the optimum would be to gather at least one representative from every community center (opportunity permitting) including one from these forums (a moderator perhaps (raedor maybe or im still hoping for Placebo cracking and volounteering :P)) they establish an HQ. This would also allow for a more coherent tracking of this competition across these communities.

My suggestion is to start small, maybe there's even no judging at first, just have a subject, deadline, and a bit of fun. Get it started. After there's a few regulars start working out how the rest is going to work. Committees and overseers and delegates sounds a bit too ambitious right at the beginning. Open source submissions is a great idea.

Can someone please list again what areas the competition(s) is (are) about?

(like best scripted feature etc)

If possible, implement an non-competition area for wip models where everyone could upload AND download models freely for arma2 modding...This way everyone would have a better change to get "their" models implemented into arma2 mods with a help of more experienced modelers/modders.

models could be fixed or modified by others freely to suit the needs of a possible ongoing mod-projects. After fixing and/or modifying, model could be re-uploaded and the original creator aswell as all others who have been tweaking that model would be credited.

Sorry if i presented an simple idea in a complex way.