cpl_hicks

Poll, old school CTI or warfare?

Poll, old school CTI or warfare?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Poll, old school CTI or warfare?

• Old school CTI
    • Warfare
    • Other

So many old school CTIs and so many Warfare versions it's very hard to decide here.

I don't really even care for Warfare that much. In ArmA, it just didn't feel right, and I didn't enjoy playing it. As well as all the performance issues and bugs it had. However, I loved playing crCTI and MFCTI in OFP. Easily my favorite maps to play in MP.

Hi all

Where is the both button?

Dodgy poll!

Undemocratic.

Godamn commies.

Kind Regards walker

From what I understood it (I was not much into CTI back in OFP days), crCTI is more about lower player numbers, faster and more competitive, Warfare larger scale (at least potentially) and more for public playing, but I may be completely wrong :p

I like both

Current version by Squeeze is a mixture of both, some GUI parts and logic from Cleanrock - who got the basic idea from Melvins MFCTI, some buildings used in current warfare.....So let's put it this way, the perfect bastard for me is Red Alert GUI (drag boxes in map view to select units and form new teams and putting waypoints that way) plus X-Cam from OFP time with the ability to change unit behaviour very detailed.

Where can I find Squeeze version?

EDIT : erf, sometimes I'm pretty dumb :p It's actuallay crCTI as played on my server :D

Edited by whisper

Dont have arma2 yet but what I have seen of warfare in arma it seems you earn money to fast and it missed the feeling of the old cti's. I dont know if it was the island how the game looked or the people playing but the cti's from OFP seemed to be a lot more fun.

I havent played ArmA2's warfare yet but i definately prefered OFP1 mfCTI over ArmA1 warfare.

There has been plenty of user modified Warfare versions in ArmA

Don't judge Warfare from the official missions. I'd like to see a Benny Edition of Warfare in A2, for example

I've only played a little bit of each in Arma and I think I prefer Warfare. It's a bit confusing, but I'm sure it'll be easier if I keep on playing.

Godamn commies.

Hey! No commie bashing!

Voted other as I prefer coop.

Kim

Kimmeh: Voted other as I prefer coop.

You do not need anything else then crCTI

You can play crCTI as:

- pure SP alone as Squadleader under AI command against full AI CoC on the other side

- pure SP alone as Sidecommander against full AI CoC on the other side

- coop as Squadleader with other human squadleaders under AI commander against full AI CoC on the other side

- coop as Sidecommander with other human squadleaders under AI commander against full AI CoC on the other side

- Full PvP (seen only for OFP such a version that had no AI capability)

- join as civilian and just watch what 2 AI teams do to each other

What else would you wish?

Edited by S!fkaIaC

Well, I have to see Warfare2 before I can really make up my mind, so I voted other. I didn't like warfare because of the PvP, I'm too old and slow now and I can't adjust the skill level of human compatitors :D

If you play as a human squad (Warfare1 only had squad leaders), there should be some kind of kit system that defines how much weaponty is available and what you can actually get. But the AI should also be scaled so that the opposition is not overwhelming. Fighting in a tank battle as a rifleman is just not very fun.

I don't think I ever saw a realistic approach to Warfare1. Most modifications I bothered to try gave more and easier money instead of toning it down. I'd like Warfare2 to be an infantry game with vehicle support, not the other way around. Loosing a tank in Warfare1 ment absolutely nothing, you just bought another one. Nobody was ever much careful with the equipment they got.

Nobody was ever much careful with the equipment they got.

Only training is skye-high prices (in crCTI) for all equipment.

nice to see CR is receiving some kudos or his work on crCTI but the original is still the best, Mike Melvin is a fucking god, his original work in OFP1 was groundbreaking and without it CR would have had nothing to tweak to make crCTI what it is.

having played in CTI leagues i still prefer MF over CR, it always seemed to me that anyone could hop into an MFcti and just play, while the crCTI always felt like it had been designed for a specific gameplay style.

Mike gets my vote and fingers crossed he reads this and offers us an updated version of MF for the 21st century and ArmA2

Since OFP, played way more CTI than I ever did WF ..... so I have to vote CTI :D

I think some of us that were late and only into CTI business during ArmA days need some input, history and descritions on different CTI versions and what makes them different :

- what is MF-CTI? What specific concept and design define it?

- same for crCTI

- differences with Warfare, is it huge, etc...

I think some of us that were late and only into CTI business during ArmA days need some input, history and descritions on different CTI versions and what makes them different :

- what is MF-CTI? What specific concept and design define it?

- same for crCTI

- differences with Warfare, is it huge, etc...

I can explain but only in results it has on battlefield since both maps lets you create a base and take towns for income.

It comes down to though is that killing someone matters more though. If i kill franklin005 in cti he will not come back for another 5-15 mins. In warfare he will zombie spawn on me.

ArmA warfare unmodded:

Town respawn and fast travel cause a certain attack flood. Teams that loose a town need to fast travel back to closest town before trieing to take it back. But because of town respawn ussually the full team that took their town now advances to that town. This is called the worm effect. Exspecially good visiable in early versions on sahrani. Where the worm effect ussually came 2 a halt in corazol because that town was a ai trap but also gave defeated teams there plenty of time and cover to take new camps to keep the fire alive.

There is also not much ballance between units.

Infantry roles and air roles get preference over tank because tank is just paper any guy with a rocket launcher on its back can take on a mbt. This was because of the arma engine. It made the battles undynamic.

The map itself was really buggy but also a lot of features like decent spawn at another base were simply not there. Also the game ended when mhq was destroyed without buildings around it this ment that you could still loose despite having 3 functional bases but you lost mhq while moving.

The prices and rewards were ridicilous causing most teams to just build bases with over 100 buildings and airspace was pretty busy.

Air battles even became hillarious with the ka50 getting aa/at abbility because people with limited skills could now attack both land and air units while on west team you needed a veteran pilot ( that only had 4 aa missles ) to bring even one of them down.

ArmA warfare modded like BEAS:

Its really funny to see the most favourite maps on this are maps that have no routes at all. There is still the worm effect: "Main power of a team traveling from town to town with use of respawn at their death location". But with open areas and little to none bottlenecks the effect can easily be countered by taking back towns that are left in its trail. The ballance and cost of units are better now only after about an hour of play does the occasional plane appear in comparisement of the total air domination of the unmodded warfare after 15 minutes. Still there are no real frontlines so any game can shift because main base is not at all safe. However this has caused some cool power shifts throughout the game. There are now more better tank armour ratings and armoured units with decent aa capability that makes the vulcan and shilka completely useless ( they were already useless )

Despite being 300 times better than unmodded version which I would hardly even call a team pvp map because of all the chaos. This map still allows for players like me to end a game the moment they reach 10000 cash of money.

And now that most people are gone that did not have patience to enrich the gameplay by cooperation and basicly only regular players are left that can do the same like me its a good thing arma 2 is coming out ;) ( or shame because now is good moment to release a cr-like version of warfare ).

Orignal MFcti and crcti:

Dont have town spawns, only base spawns. This can make it more frustrating because if you die you will have to start over your travel.

There is also no fast travel which creates roles such as saboteurs who camp main routes.

Dieing is a big nono. Which means less roar and more planning.

But removes the worm effect and creates frontlines instead and at the same time increases dynamic of a well placed base position. Also unlike warfare they make use of 1 money currency. So not cash and supplies. This means that expanding base will cost unit ouput in cti and causes a change in frontline if the players dont manage to keep it during the base expansion.

This made it for my opinion more dynamic than warfare ( "and whats up with those freaking supply truck sucking up my fps?" - is not even there :D )

MFCTI was more warfare like and most endgames ended with one team getting total air domination like in warfare, in fact it feels completely the same appart from ridicilous view distance in arma and ai reacting to that ( not reacting ).

To counter this there was also mfcti groundwar which was variant which only allowed ground battles. Was cool but because the prices stayed mostly the same now without the expensive air-factory the were just tons of tanks put out. Still the community swallowed this because players could do a lot like in warfare.

CRCTI which finally became the base for the ctitc tournament where multiple teams from around the world would fight each other because this map was more ballanced and played well into the more profesional playing part of cti community.

In fact to such high level that eventually the commander chose to consume 90% of player income at first and distribute this over team for their roles.

I as towntaker only got about 1k when i asked for contribute because I only bought infantry forces. Tankers would get 4k to buy their tanks. Ai was scripted so well that player skill mattered less in a battle. Tactically placing ai would benefit team more than rambo player consuming all cash and driving straight into enemy.

People who did not buy ai would get ai assigned to them or simply were kicked of the server simply because in those cases ai was better.

This level of gameplay during a public match has never since ofp been found back on arma let alone the pre-planned ctitc matches were 2 clans went head on which came from this.

However this map is not friendly for beginning players.

My conclusion

Warfare despite when being pimped still shows a dead end.

Its nice for people to play publics on but there is hardly no field dynamic.

Cti reminds me of a strategy game. There are frontlines, income sources behind those.

The map also has 2 different splits the mfcti which is good for enjoyable game that even new players can enjoy and crcti which can be enjoyed by people that want to bring that experience to next level.

Then again I have not played the arma 2 version yet and you might say crcti or mfcti but all i heard of sofar is warfare cti hybrids. Which is good because cti in ofp is slower and asked more cooperation from ai. The ai pathfinding in arma was not that good so support came to late or not at all, in arma2 i am hearing similar stories.

--------------------------

What it comes down 2 though

--------------------------

It all depends on what community wants though. If people want evolution and warfare instead of a decent coop map or cti. There will be hardly no clans formed. Hotshots is the only team pvp that plays cti-based maps that survived the ofp-arma conversion simply by swallowing up the remainders from most other died cti clans and actively trieing to recruit people while there is no other clan to fight ( aint that sad? ).

Games are played longer as it gains depth and there was lack of depth in arma. Hundreds of programmers making their own versions of popular maps and a community that only eats whats right in front of them didnt at all make the arma community as shiney as the ofp one. Battlefield used to have nothing on us. Yes they were big but they didnt have face, i could name any cti clan back in the days with their members...what we got in arma is worst of both worlds. No face and no numbers, a couple good server filled with people that cant even vote a commander or write a single intel report :D

Edited by MiGeL_Hotshots

MFCTI and crCTI by far, we used to have awesome battles on OGN in OFP

Edited by AUS_Twisted