Sign in to follow this  
dpd29

Problems for scripters

Im used to do scripts for my missions , I have made some scripts to improve the AI from Armed Assault using eventhhandlers,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXIxXBA8J5Y&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Earmados%2Einfo%2Fforo%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ff%3D2%26t%3D404&feature=player_embedded

http://vimeo.com/4403516

http://www.armados.info/foro/viewforum.php?f=30

I have a great problem, i dont see the mistakes in the codec. In arma2, I see that all scrips with mistakes dont run but I dont see any mistake with codec anywhere.

do you know where I can see the wrong codec ? Thanks.

I try to use eventhandlers to change a little the AI but I see the script dont run and it not possible to know about the problem.

Edited by dpd29

yeah same problem here. i dont get error messages either, makes finding the errors hard :(

what was wrong with having them come up ingame? its a huge hassle having to browse the rpt each time you think something might be going wrong :/

Wut? Logging errors to a file instead of throwing them in the users face is a great idea! It will also force scripters/modders to actually look at the RPT (which will hopefully increase the quality of addons big time... I mean have you seen all those crappy addons for ArmA that caused thousands of errors to be written to the RTP within minutes?)

Download a decent log viewer and you'll realize the great wisdom behind this decision.

No, I want both. Having them thrown into you face like before is great and extremely quick for those obvious typos. Also in Arma1 the server.rpt was locked so you'd have to shut down Arma1 to read it. Yeah, I know, but for the newbie this would be extremely frustrating.

forget addons mate. we're just talking about normal scripting errors like missing a semicolon or a bracket...

the arma2.rpt is not logged dwhile the game runs. You can even delete it while playing^^

the arma2.rpt is not logged dwhile the game runs. You can even delete it while playing^^

it is locked while its being outputted

(which will hopefully increase the quality of addons big time... I mean have you seen all those crappy addons for ArmA that caused thousands of errors to be written to the RTP within minutes?)

can't see how this would increase quality when most ppl do not even notice the errors they produce. Slap em in their face I say !! Every tiny error should be visible, thats the only way force ppl to fix them and ensure quality.

it is locked while its being outputted

Yes, but Alt+Tab will pause the output and you can edit or delete it.

Yes, but Alt+Tab will pause the output and you can edit or delete it.

actually you cant, if a mission is actually running its locked. if you abort the mission and go back to the main menu then you can alt tab and edit etc.

For me it works fine, if i just Alt+Tab while an editor preview is running..... maybe its Vista? Or my windows admin setting?

Every programmer knows (and BIS should know before anyone else) that the speed detection of an error in the development phase is critical to debug a block of code.

The excuse to remove the warning screen and dump everything to a file to force reports improvement in quality of code is laughable.

Actually, this measure takes productivity and quality to our scripts. The exhaustion that makes us the constant query of the report of errors detected by abnormal behavior ingame (only way possible at present) can only end up consuming the time we have to produce and enhance the lives of the simulator with addons, missions, scripts.

In my opinion, should allow onscreen alerts when it detects that the execution of the script is faulty in the server (hosted by a user) or in single player mode.

In this way the detection is instant (and probably youy correction).

A really hope that solves this quickly because the script editors and missions we need it

Every programmer knows (and BIS should know before anyone else) that the speed detection of an error in the development phase is critical to debug a block of code.

The excuse to remove the warning screen and dump everything to a file to force reports improvement in quality of code is laughable.

Actually, this measure takes productivity and quality to our scripts. The exhaustion that makes us the constant query of the report of errors detected by abnormal behavior ingame (only way possible at present) can only end up consuming the time we have to produce and enhance the lives of the simulator with addons, missions, scripts.

In my opinion, should allow onscreen alerts when it detects that the execution of the script is faulty in the server (hosted by a user) or in single player mode.

In this way the detection is instant (and probably youy correction).

A really hope that solves this quickly because the script editors and missions we need it

Leaving all basic syntax errors aside, the require to constantly check the arma.rpt is a bit easier in the sense it shows the full error, and more then one unlike before.

They should introduce a console window in which holds the arma.rpt constantly, that way we can see errors there and anything else that gets dumped there. It'd be bloody useful.

Voted yes. Doing some stuff in the demo editor for fun, and no errors lead you to think that everything is ok. It just don't work.

It is absolutely critical that we get on screen information in addition to the rpt dump. The rpt dump is very useful when i.e. server is having a script error that the clients don't see. Or the client rpt can be useful too when playing a mission if it suddenly contains several errors that didn't show up during testing.

Yeah, agreed, a chat log window in game with the possibility to scroll and clear would be most welcome.

Voted yes. Doing some stuff in the demo editor for fun, and no errors lead you to think that everything is ok. It just don't work.

It is absolutely critical that we get on screen information in addition to the rpt dump. The rpt dump is very useful when i.e. server is having a script error that the clients don't see. Or the client rpt can be useful too when playing a mission if it suddenly contains several errors that didn't show up during testing.

Yeah, agreed, a chat log window in game with the possibility to scroll and clear would be most welcome.

Couldn't agree more, please slap me in the face with the error rather than let me think something has worked only to find out 20mins later it hasn't.

Looking at the amount of errors produced in the standard game you can see why this isn't a good idea.

AGREED! and then agreed again!

we need to be able to catch errors at the time they appear! silent failures are a programmer´s worst nightmare! there´s no way of telling what went wrong

at times, a bug can go unnoticed and cause a massive cascade of unexplainable bugs later on, this is unacceptable!

PLEASE bring back the error messages - if they are a bother to other players, then there should be a launch argument -showErrors, that developers can use to see what´s going on

we´re counting on it! please don´t let us down, BIS

actually you cant, if a mission is actually running its locked. if you abort the mission and go back to the main menu then you can alt tab and edit etc.

You can always run ArmA2 in window mode. You will have the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen and then can pause the game and use any applications you have without having to ALT-TAB. :D

I hope this helps. Best, Splicer.

i found that -showScriptErrors works prefectly, thus solving the problem!

kudos to BIS for fixing this! it´s higly appreciated...

and kinda funny to see the amount of errors you get playing MP with this option on