Futurenote

Warfare Module - How to use ?

Hey guys, does anyone have a clue how to use the warfare module in the editor corectly ? Do I just link everything to the game logic ? I mean the depots with ther linked camps and so on. And would I use the construction module also ? Thanks in advance.

I'd like to know the same thing. I've tried to setup warfare in a SP mission but the game gets stuck on the loading screen after I hit Preview in the Editor. I've tried to set it up like it is in the SP mission freedom fighters but I can't get it to work.

Does anyone have a quick example mission they could post? It doesn't have to be too in depth, just a basic warfare example. I'd like to see what's going on with my mission.

Here's an example, i've ripped it off some pbo, it migth be bugged, but here you go: Download

You might want to unPBO warfare2.pbo found in AddOns folder, there are some examples provided in warfare2.pbo/MPMissions...

Cheers

sorry for my noobness, but what is the warfare module?

glad im not the only one hehe. from what i read it sounds cool.

im gonna guess it something that makes the ai more believable. such as taking cover and what not. but im only guessing.

Ok. Here is what I've done so far. For some reason I didn't get the Warfare module to run by creating a mission from scratch with the WF module synced to players and vehicles. So - I de pbo'ed 1st example missions from the warfare2.pbo. Most of them you can't preview in the editor as they need some scripting work i think. But defnitly worth a look. Then I used the Superpowermission from the missions pbo. Really simple setup in the editor. I added SOM and ACM for a bit more dynamic. So - Superpowers itself in the editor doesn't contain any markers for the depots and camps. One of the example mission in the warfare folder shows a simple setup for this. If I recall it right there were like a few depots synced to camps sync to game logic an the logic synced to the warfare module.

I also looked at the Strategic layer reference module pbo ( actul file is not called like that) which seemed to contain information about towns - airports - camps. So it would be intresting to know what ecxactly the Warfare logic does what the Construction Interface - and Strategic layer reference don't. So what if you would use CoIn and Strategic layer for all the camps and tows ? Isn't that ecxactly what Warfare is ?

Will mess a bit more with the editor over the weekend.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

im gonna guess it something that makes the ai more believable. such as taking cover and what not. but im only guessing.

You might be right. Prob triggers certain AI behaviour, like capturing towns and building units.

The warfare module is a module were you can find it at the ArmA maps editor, go to Editor> Utes (or any map that you want)> Modules (F7)> Warfare. there are 2 types of warfare (As far as I know) Warfare and Warfare OA. the Warfare is the normal Warfare of ArmA II and the Warfare OA is the warfare of ArmA: Operation Arrowhead. you can start a Warfare by just adding the module on the map, then sync (F5) the warfare with all the units that can be the Comanders including OPFOR, BLUFOR (Or Civilians, Independent and even with the animals), then just start the preview and the Warfare will start automatically. I still don't know how to add the capture zones.

Placing game logics in map creates new capture locations.  Example below could be used for the NW Airfield on Chernarus.

The same can be used to adjust location of the depots and camps Warfare spawns, just setvariable "name" in the city logic to the name of the town.  At game start WF checks for a city logic within 350m before running a town's setup, and if it finds one will use it instead.

Quick setup for adding custom capture sites to a Warfare mission in editor:

1)  SET UP THE DEPOT:  Place a "City" game logic (Game Logic -> Locations -> City) where you want the depot to be.

2)  In the Initialization field set variables, which the WF scripts will use for certain functions:

this setVariable ["name","NW Airport"]; this SetVariable ["speech","airfield"]; this SetVariable ["fastTravelArea",NWAFFT];

The variables being set:

a.  Name: "NW Airport" is the name that will appear in chat messages when the location gets captured or lost: "NW Airfield captured", or "NW Airfield lost!"  This "name" variable must be set for Warfare to detect the location as a custom capture site.  If adjusting a town used by Warfare, use the town name.

b.  Speech: "airfield" is the word that will be spoken when the location gets captured or lost: "airfield captured", or "airfield lost".  It has to be a config sound or it has no sound.  Custom locations generally won't have sounds set up (unless you create them), so simplest options are "town", "village", "airfield" or "CommandPost".  If adjusting a town used by Warfare, use the town name.

c.  FastTravelArea: NWAFFT will be the name of the logic placed to identify where incoming fast travel units arrive.

3)  SET UP DEFENSE CAMPS:  Place "Camp" game logics (Game Logic -> Locations -> Camp) where you want any defense camps to be.

4)  SET UP THE FAST TRAVEL AREA:  Place a "City Flat Area" game logic (Game Logic -> Locations -> City Flat Area) where units using fast travel will arrive.  Try to choose a relatively flat open area.

5)  In the Name field, give the flat area logic a name.  The name must match the "FastTravelArea" variable that was set in the depot logic.  Example: NWAFFT

6)  SET UP THE FAST TRAVEL ROUTES:  Choose which of the nearby capturable towns will have direct access to this location.  Might be based on connecting roads but, eh, maybe not.

7)  Place a "City Link" game logic (Game Logic -> Locations -> City Link) at each chosen town.  Teams will be able to fast travel to this custom site from those towns.

8)  SET UP THE OWNING SIDE:  If you want owning side to be default at game start, ignore this step.  Otherwise, place an "Owner (x)" game logic (Game Logic -> Locations -> Owner (x), where "x" represents BLUFOR, OPFOR, NAPA or Civilian).

9)  FINALIZE:  Clear any automatic grouping.  If any of the logics have a light blue "group" line connecting them, select Group (F2), select the logic and drag away to empty space so they become ungrouped.

10)  Select Synchronize (F5) and synch the "City" logic (depot unit) with each of the other placed logics (camps, flat area, city links, owner).

11)  Finally, synchronize the Warfare logic to the "City" logic.  The location should now serve as a custom capture site.  Save and launch.