Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

Check your CPU>GPU GPU<CPU bandwidth etc.

seems like some driver issue ? btw got SP2 ?

oh if you have some 'hardware' monitor running disable it :)

most likely a driver conflict. Try disabling your network adapters. and other stuff that doesnt matter. And unplugging as much as possible.

PCIeSpeedTest Results:

PCIeSpeedTest.gif

D3D Bandwidth Test:

Download: 759.80 MB/s

Upload: 2225.64 MB/s

Any ideas how to improve these figures? Specifically, the download figure.

DPC Latency:

Maximum: 22µs

Average: 3µs

Big contributors to problems here were the Last.fm application, and also the ATI CCC/MOM application.

GPU-Z Info

GPU-Z.gif

System specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.00GHz) FSB1333 6MB Cache

ASUS P5K AiLifestyle Series Mobo

Corsair 4GB Dual Channel (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 DHX Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4(4-4-4-12) - but running on 32-bit WindowsXP, so not fully utilised

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E

Asus Xonar D2 7.1 Sound Card (PCI version... the PCI-E actually performs worse)

Edited by JamesF1

Yes, while it's great that others are posting results, we need experts that can give advice as to how to increase them.

That was on Windows 7

Max scores PCIe bandwidth

CPU->GPU 4.9Gb/s

GPU->CPU 3.1Gb/s

Max DPC latency 120µs

Don't know who can get <20µs.... Will test by disabling Network and Sound.

Here's XP SP3 stripped down (after install with all drivers <2Gb on disk)

CPU->GPU 5.2Gb/s

GPU->CPU 3.1Gb/s

Max DPC latency 36µs

any ideas why my 4850's bus isn't running in PCI-E 2.0

ASUS P5K AiLifestyle Series Mobo

Looks like the P35 chipset on your mobo doesn't support it.

JamesF1

your ASUS P5K contains P35 chipset which supports only PCIe 1.1 so thats why it reports as not 2.0 :)

also i assume You got PCIexpress Xonar not PCI and definitely not AGP :)

Skeptic your one seems fine now :)

Dwarden, sorry I don't understand..what do you mean with hardware monitor?

I've done all the Windows updates, gonna search for SP2 now....

thanks for help:)

EDIT:

in the fresh install I left my soundblaster xfi untouched, as I don't really know how to install the drivers, which are not on the install Disk as I have vista now. as I heard that better soundquality as with the creative drivers was possible I decided to do that install later.

I now deactivated it and get 75 to max 130 ɥs latency...the other tests don't show different behaviour than before..

deactivating different things results in always some 9-10 ɥs benefit, for example network adapters or mouse or keyboard....daemon tools brings like 40ɥs plus, the average latency is now 55ɥs, the max latency somewhere around 65, in idle...

alright, can live with it

now how can I improve data exchange between gpu and cpu?

i am now using catalyst 9.6

gonna try 9.5???

Edited by tranquillity

C2D E6400@3,2Ghz

4GB DDR2 RAM@800Mhz 4:4:4:11 CR 2T

P965 chipset board

ATI 4870 1GB stock overclock (Sapphire Toxic)

pcie.gif

This is kinda shitty, but it seems that with 965 chipset you can go only so far (PCIe 1.1). Got some VPUrecovery crashes too.

Latency in DPC checker is under 10 microseconds mostly, 2-5 when not doing anything.

What interests me more is how the memory subsystem i.e. HDD->RAM->CPU & back affects things. Maybe there is possible to make some ArmA 2 benchmark run by empty persistent dedicated server with unified config file to leave graphics card out of equation, since as seen in results from ArmA Mark Mk.II it is somewhat impossible to force people to run on the same graphics settings to get consistent results.

I recall that RAM bandwidth/latency had a major effect for me when testing ArmA and good ol' OFp way back, more than the CPU or GPU performance itself.

Edited by Eda Mrcoch

My results are a little bit low, aren't they ?

ergebnisx.jpg

System in Signature.

Edited by Cionara

Dwarden, sorry I don't understand..what do you mean with hardware monitor?

I've done all the Windows updates, gonna search for SP2 now....

thanks for help:)

EDIT:

in the fresh install I left my soundblaster xfi untouched, as I don't really know how to install the drivers, which are not on the install Disk as I have vista now. as I heard that better soundquality as with the creative drivers was possible I decided to do that install later.

I now deactivated it and get 75 to max 130 ɥs latency...the other tests don't show different behaviour than before..

deactivating different things results in always some 9-10 ɥs benefit, for example network adapters or mouse or keyboard....daemon tools brings like 40ɥs plus, the average latency is now 55ɥs, the max latency somewhere around 65, in idle...

alright, can live with it

now how can I improve data exchange between gpu and cpu?

i am now using catalyst 9.6

gonna try 9.5???

zetsumei told me when he used Gigabyte 'temperature/fans etc' monitoring utility for theirs hardware his DPC latencies were insane ...

anyway the key is get rid of repeated spikes or constant 100s µs ...

your values for DPC are now ok ... cause ideal state of sub 20 is only with very very very qualite drivers and that's pain to find

speaking of drivers ... anyone here with onboard networkcard Realtek Drivers and <25µs stable ?

Edited by Dwarden

Well if urs is slow on card to sys memory mine is rank lol.

capturecfg.png

Not sure what one is supposed to actually do to level out the vid to sys memory really, sys to vid maybe with ratio's in bios etc but no idea about card mem.. hmmm but then the card says its using less than its full activity anyhow lol.

Windows 7 RC 7100

Board: AW9D-Max

Cpu: E6600@3.2ghz

Ram: OcZ@1000mhz

Card: ATI XfX4870 1GB

Soundcard: X-Fi extreme music

HDs: Raptor for OS, games on seagate barracuda

Edited by moosenoodles

People should also write down also their system and not only the test score.

Please write down your, Motherboard, CPU, Video card, Memory (type), HD (that's not essential) and OS.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

My results are a little bit low, aren't they ?

Compared with my results and with my system I'd expect more from your rig. But what is your mobo chipset and OS?

I am no expert on this.

Could Dan's figures be due to him having 2 GPUs and sets of memory on the one card? From what I gather when you transfer something to a crossfire card it has to be copied to the memory on the other card. I believe this is done via the pci bus.

If you are talking about audio latency on the sound card, I know 2 tricks.

1. See if you can find some ASIO drivers for your card. They will usually bring it down below 30ms. They are used in music. I think it was to do with MIDI more than anything though.

2. Not sure if this is applicable anymore... The power management (APM from memory) in XP, was known to affect the latecy of some sound cards.

The bad news is that you can't uninstall them. You have to turn the APM off in bios, then format the computer and reinstall windows.

Is this a known issue in ARMA BTW?

@moosennoodels

well, that is really bad then:)

d3d.th.jpg

wondering what to do against it...running in pci-e2.0 mode...what could be the problem?

going back to cat9.5 later...

my specs are in a older post

doing the windows vista power index test, i found out that the graphics card uses 2814 mb of the system ram, maybe that makes it slow in these tests? and is a reason for arma to get this annoying recieving error?

Edited by tranquillity

@moosennoodels

well, that is really bad then:)

d3d.th.jpg

wondering what to do against it...running in pci-e2.0 mode...what could be the problem?

going back to cat9.5 later...

my specs are in a older post

well the crazy thing is that in SP as usual I am getting 45>63 (ticks over the frame lock sometimes) fps.... Joined mp rifles server on small 6 man coops map and same no problem with frames, and that must be working as intended.

I know if I go to a server where there are say 30 players + I can bet your bottom dollar that things will be alot different hehe.. and the card goes into max 50% activity mode... Could be drivers yes of course but with no driver feedback from ati or anywhere else with a solid test who bloody knows eh?

Hoping its just more a mp optimization issue and patches do fix more up than break :D

I have no idea why the bandwidth one way is good for the setup I have and bad regarding gpu to sys.. the ram is 1:1 if i recall anyhow so cant really get better than that ratio if the speeds are all working fine on ram and cpu..

Of course no other game has a problem in Mp be it a mmo large scale world or fps or whatever..

please post back with a cat 9.5 test as well then :D

Edited by moosenoodles

System:

i7 920 (OC'd to 3.2 GHz)

EVGA X58 3XSLI Motherboard

HD 4870 512MB

6Gb Ram (1600 Mhz)

Vista 64

I am having the same problem as some here. Using Kegety's test:

SM>VM = 4017 MB/s

VM>SM = 433 MB/s

I am running the card in 16X pci-e 2.0 (checked).

What could be causing this abysmal download rate?

I'm getting something very similar trini scourge with almost identical hardware. Lots of people have been posting results but no solutions to low VM>SM rates. The game plays pretty well for me however. I'm getting 25-30FPS everywhere.

The download rate should be pretty much irrelevant for the game, only cases where it makes a difference in practice is with SoftTH or if you record (high resolution) videos with fraps or similar app. Games very rarely need to transfer anything large from the card back to the system memory, which is also propably why it doesn't seem to be highly optimized for ATI cards with D3D. Even the upload speed typically doesn't have a very significant effect unless something is badly wrong with it.

What matters most for the bandwidth is the card, drivers, bus speed, motherboard chipset and RAM speed.

@ Mr Burns

You've very smilar results to mine. But then again your PC specs are not much different from mine.

my DPC is spiking every 5 seconds (with no programs open) to a max of 436 us. i take it thats a bad thing?

could be driver related to drive controller or raid when some cache is flushed or antivirus or so ...

try unplug any USB device too (lot of lame/flawed USB drivers due quite weird stuff with DPC) ...

No idea what is good or not. :cool:

SPECS

Vista 32-bit Home Premium SP2

Radeon 4870 512MB

Intel E8400 3.0GHz

Auzentch Forte 7.1

4GB PC2-6400

D3D.JPG

PCI.JPG

Since my CPU->GPU is > than GPU->CPU, does that mean my GPU is a "bottleneck"?

Also would it help to install Arma II on a 64-bit OS? I dual boot Windows 7 64-bit (as I have 4GB of RAM), would it improve performance being able to address more RAM?

Edited by BOTA:16

it's ok for the transfers ... and DPC ?