Sign in to follow this  
Armin2

Multiplayer performance = 1/2 Singleplayer Performance

I have played OFP, ArmA and now ArmA 2 but never tried online play. Unless today.

It's almost unbearable: I've got a C2D E8500/4GB/4850ATI and get around 50fps on all settings high in singleplayer. Now in MP I barely get 25fps with all settings lowest before even getting close to the action.

Is that really what the mp looks like ?

I get the same FPS, but movement is incredibly jerky most of the time, even on servers with 30ms ping and on a 20mbit connection.

You can set up 1500 AI units or play with 20 people online. Both gets you the same framerate.

This has to be the worst engine/ netcode ever built for multiplayer yet one of the best for SP.

Missions sometimes override your settings like view distance or terrain detail and such...

Make sure this is not the case and the mission you play does not dictate any gfx settings.

guys, how much fps do you get in warfare missions MP? I've max 30:j:

Without AI FPS is far better on both SP and MP. PvP missions mainly have no AI,

so FPS should be far better.

Armin2 it seems something is wrong with your server.

You should start posting details about your system.

C2D E 8500 @ 3.8GHZ

ATI 4850

4 GB DDR 2

I guess I have to upgrade to a 4850 x2 or similar. That would give me 40% more fps. which would make it at least playable in multiplayer.

I had this first off as well my fps seemed capped to like 32fps, I was mostly playing Air Cav, it seems though newer versions of this missions have been released and now playing that mission things have improved by a lot? I dont know if the mission has anything to do with it, can they be tidied up and improved so to speak? I know nothing beyond dropping units into the editor so have no idea in whats involved with creating missions although id like to be able to!

Not seeing any particular difference, tbh. Both play the same, ie not too bad, very playable, but going downhill when playing for long

Arma 2 has only been released in germany, and as far as I know the server code is far from finished, if you want to play this online are you sure the server you are connecting to is a dedicted server and not one that someone is hosting on there home pc???

It wont be your pc affecting Frame rates but the pc/server you are connecting to...

I dont have the game yet as its not out in the UK, but minimum specs for dedicated servers, have in the past, been way above other hosted games, due to the scale of the maps... I wouldnt attempt to run this game on a dedicated server, unless it had at least a dual core processor with 2 gigs of ram even then for maybe maximum 20 players on warefare...

Edited by KELLO

There may be other stuff involved, like a set viewdistance or terraindetail.

However, i also notice that i never get more then 30fps in MP, where in SP due to vsync that's capped at 60fps.

There may be other stuff involved, like a set viewdistance or terraindetail.

However, i also notice that i never get more then 30fps in MP, where in SP due to vsync that's capped at 60fps.

Same here

Turn off Vsync in gfx control panel :)

Turn off Vsync in gfx control panel :)

Unfortunately that has nothing to do with it, for me anyway ;)

Hello all

Strangely enough, I have exactly the opposite issues.

In the SP Campaign I get horrid Fps but playing Air Cav and Ev online, my rates are fine (for my rig anyways.)

I did try playing em as SP missions, like you could in ARMA1 but the wont load up for me to test, hmmm.

Rgds

LoK

Same issue here. Getting 30-32 fps cap on servers.

Can't remember if it is all the servers though.

Try looking at the sky next time it happens. If it's not capped your fps should break 32 IMHO.

use the rifles server as a test, thats not capped for sure i can get 50 to 60 on it and always 60 on floor or in sky..

And if you do get same issue try deleting your arma profiles, and all the rpt files in the appdata local arma2 folder. Remake your config when starting up arma again.. Then join the rifles server a 2nd time and see what you get then.

Just a test as I did that and it changed 10 fold.

Deleting RPT shouldnt do anything? Isnt it just a log? I clean mine out always to easier see errors and such though, but i dont think it has anything to do with performance. I might be wrong.

Also you can set the ARMA.CFG (not sure how ARMA2 is called) and then make it READ ONLY to save whatever changes youve done to resolution etc.

72;1310107']Deleting RPT shouldnt do anything? Isnt it just a log? I clean mine out always to easier see errors and such though' date=' but i dont think it has anything to do with performance. I might be wrong.

Also you can set the ARMA.CFG (not sure how ARMA2 is called) and then make it READ ONLY to save whatever changes youve done to resolution etc.[/quote']

Bad advice if u ask me, deleting all logs config files ala arma 1 with rpt files is a sure fire way to make sure all ur profiles are gone including the standard one from desktop login sensing.

Regarding setting the cfg files to read only. Well im starting to think this is a really bad idea, over the last week of testing and tweaking I have a feeling arma2 does not like you doing that, for starters I believe now making one change in the options menu if you dare sometimes ingame while the file was locked seems to cause endless trouble over time eventually.

No idea why, but seems to either corrupt something or mess around with something that ends up with me being in a situation with 25-28 fps max no matter what I do options wise. Hence the cleaning out all profile/log files and whatever else where it draws info from and starting fresh..

Just played an evolution map the server had set all grass (terrain grid is it?) to zero.. talk about performance difference online hehe.

Just played an evolution map the server had set all grass (terrain grid is it?) to zero.. talk about performance difference online hehe.

this is what Evo uses : -

setterraingrid 50;
setViewDistance 900;
enableEnvironment false;

Yeah junker that makes a huge diff for sure, although I dont play on SSS anymore not by choice but in arma 1 for some reason I kept getting kicked from your server after many mnths playing on it with everyone lol, was kinda random I thought and a bit odd as never been a bad guy etc always had some good games with everyone.

Anyway I did not sweat it I just thought it was probably a glitch or addon issues and moved on..

Those settings are damn ideal right now though for a more large game scale with no 1.02 patch etc :D

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-2344918/arma2-2009-06-16-22-17-34-04.jpg.html

I'm still only getting 26 fps in moments like these. It sucks.

2x4 GHZ, GTX 275, Win7 64, 4GB RAM

SOMETHING REALLY SCREWS UP IN MULTIPLAYER:

With my close to high end rig I am getting 30 fps in ULTRA LOW and 25 fps in ULTRA HIGH detail in multiplayer

ArmA 2 totally doesn't behave like any other game.

Edited by Armin2

I've noticed that in singleplayer both my GPU's (ati x2 & latest drivers) max out and I get consistently high fps however in multiplayer my GPU's stay around 20-30% load and I see a drop in fps of around 50%. I cannot see how this can be anything to do with server side settings.

Different missions in SP & MP means different handling by your PC (how many units under your command, what scripts & such are running, etc...)

+ server can enforce visual settings changes on you PC, explaining the difference in GPU